• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 match ammo. Is lapua. Wolf and sk made at the same place. Pics below

Axel314

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Indiana
All of these have same head stamp and appear to b the same bullet. . Does any body no if they r all the same and just paying more for the lapua brand or is it held to a higher quality control.
20180830_205927.jpg

Read a post recently that stated yes they are all made on the same line. Certain lines like SK Standard Plus is ammo that does pass as Midas and Rifle Match is CenterX that doesnt pass, etc...

They are lot tested for accuracy and consistency, and potentially have different powder, etc. The Lapua stuff generally outshoots Wolf and SK and has less fliers.

There is a direct correlation in the more expensive ammo and it being more consistent. When ever I chrono lots of ammo, the higher priced will always have a lower SD. The CenterX has always been my go to for price pt and performance even tho the Rifle Match is a close second. The Tenex shot very well as well but for 99% of my shooting, its not worth the $5 premium over centerX.

That DOESNT mean that the more expensive ammo will shoot better in your particular rifle. Rimfires are so finicky sometimes. I had a lot of $3 box Win ammo that shot one hole. So weird and obviously an anomaly...

Try them all and see which shoots best.

wo sas.jpg

Old pic, and I think it was cold that day and the wax was gumming up, but that lot of CenterX won the day...
GL!
DT

Welcome to the nether world that is 22lr. I saw the same thing a year ago and had the same questions. From the reading I've done I've concluded that the Lapua, SK and Wolf 22lr ammo is all made in the same facility. The Lapua is made on a separate line from the SK and Wolf. After the ammunition is produced they do batch testing using their own proprietary criteria and established standards. The results of their testing determines which packaging it gets and therefore pricing.

There is speculation that the SK Rifle Match and Wolf Match Extra use the same standards. You will also see that the lower grade ammo of the SK line has the same head stamps. The pistols types of ammo are different and have different velocities. All 3 lines of rifle ammo show either 1050fps or 1073fps depending on where you get the information.

Right or wrong that is what I'm running with after sorting through the maze that is known as the World Wide Web.

There is a direct correlation in the more expensive ammo and it being more consistent. When ever I chrono lots of ammo, the higher priced will always have a lower SD. The CenterX has always been my go to for price pt and performance even tho the Rifle Match is a close second. The Tenex shot very well as well but for 99% of my shooting, its not worth the $5 premium over centerX.

DT
I have to agree. CX is my go-to as well with Wolf Rifle Match a close 2nd. I did have a batch of Wolf that shot better than all with one rifle but more recent lots have been less accurate than CX or Midas+. I can see small improvements with Midas+ with most rifles on dead calm days but it costs about $4-5/bx more and while I keep some around for certain applications it is not used often. 10x is the same way. I keep it around as a benchmark to compare to Eley Blk. Usually the Eley Blk is just as good. Some of my guns shoot Eley well. All of my guns shoot Lapua well. The one that like Eley seem to be more lot sensitive. I cannot tell that much difference lot to lot with Lapua. I know there is some variance but it is real hard for me to see it without getting into heavy statistics. I was not aware that SK came off the Center-X line and Wolf off of the Midas line. Is that true? I always figured that it was all coming off of the same line. I have never had quite as good results with SK std+ when compared to Wolf. Maybe that is why? Anybody able to confirm that?

Irish

X-Act, Midas+ and CenterX all are made on the same Lapua machines.
Statistical sampling and testing determine the labeling.
SK is a Lapua product. Wolf used to be.
Recently I read that it is now being manufactured by Eley.

Remembered where I read about the change...

Wolf manufactured by Eley

Last edited:
X-Act, Midas+ and CenterX all are made on the same Lapua machines.
Statistical sampling and testing determine the labeling.
SK is a Lapua product. Wolf used to be.
Recently I read that it is now being manufactured by Eley.

That is correct...Wolf is now being manufactured by Eley. I have some old and new and difference is negligible (MT Extra). I am trying the SK Rifle match this weekend for the first time to see how it works in my Annie.

As others have said, .22 rimfire is very finicky. I have not had equivalent results as compared to the MT Extra with Center-X. The best bet is to try as many brands and lots to determine what works for you.

I also weigh everything and bin it accordingly. This has reduced the number of flyers pretty well for me

I've tried rim sorting, weight sorting, oal sorting, brass dimension sorting
and found no useful correlation, except for bulk ammo where no powder was in the cartridge.
Powder weights are actually quite tight, it's primer quantities and bullet quality and seating
that seem to be to blame for the majority of my trajectory spread.
Except for that caused by my inability to correctly judge wind. :(

I've tried rim sorting, weight sorting, oal sorting, brass dimension sorting
and found no useful correlation, except for bulk ammo where no powder was in the cartridge.
Powder weights are actually quite tight, it's primer quantities and bullet quality and seating
that seem to be to blame for the majority of my trajectory spread.
Except for that caused by my inability to correctly judge wind. :(

I haven't had that experience. I'm not saying it makes a dramatic improvement in group size but it does reduce the number of flyers. The gain you get from binning is not generally consistent across the brands either. It helps more with some than others. For instance, I don't see much difference at all, if any, with Eley Tenex or RWS R50 but when I bin Aguila rifle match, it helps to a noticeable degree. I think proper application is probably pretty well controlled these days but bullet weight amongst the lower end stuff is not as consistent. YMMV

Shot SK Rifle Match today for the first time. Only had enough time to try it at 50 yards.

Beautiful results were had. I think it is even better than the WOLF MT Extra. However, more testing is needed at 100 and 200 yards to be sure.

It is really getting hard to justify ELEY Tenex, RWS R50 and Lapua MIDAS

SK Rifle Match has been my go too ammo for matches this past year. I've only stepped up past that to Lapua Center X and the results were the same so no reason to spend the extra so far. I'm just getting ready to start stretching things out past 200y so I'll revisit that for longer distances.

SK Rifle Match has been my go too ammo for matches this past year. I've only stepped up past that to Lapua Center X and the results were the same so no reason to spend the extra so far. I'm just getting ready to start stretching things out past 200y so I'll revisit that for longer distances.

I have shot it out to 100 now. Excellent results. Will be stretching it out to 200 and 300 next weekend

Shooting 25y will tell you next to nothing about your ammo or rig. Shooting 50y starts to give you a little basic information about your rig and what type of consistency and accuracy it is capable of producing. Shooting 100y though gives you a good insight of the total package. 100y will also give you a much better view into the consistency of your ammunition. If you have consistent grouping and an acceptably small group at that distance then it will probably hold up well beyond. At that distance you should be able to really seperate the performance of one brand of ammunition from another.

My rifles will shoot the cheap stuff CCI SV and SKS+ great at 50y but those results don't hold up at 100y and beyond. That is where the old statement of "You get what you pay for" comes from.

Reactions: skatz11