• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 Nosler in an AR

JW329

Guy
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2017
I am looking for opinions and advice on a 22 nosler AR build. I think that this would make a fun rifle that would get close to 1k. I have a 24" AR in 204 Ruger with a ER17 on it that is one of the most fun rifles I own. With the heavy barrel on it my 8yr old is crazy efficient with it out to 600yrds. I'm hoping one in 22 nos will get him out a little further. Here's what I am thinking so far (almost identical to my 204), seekins upper/lower geissele trigger, harris bipod, PRS stock, JP silent capture and BCG, HD II 4.5-27, Surefire brake, and Proof Research 22" barrel. I will also put a socom 556 rc on it. My question is will this have much longer legs than the 204 and if so how much. Also will the recoil be too much for my 8yr old (he has shot .260 scalpel and ar-10 in 308 but both were too much for him to enjoy). Any opinions will be appreciated.

22 nosler could have great potential but the brass is weak also OAL is to long for 75 eld 80 eld anything above 1.06 even with cut window magazine large jump to lands bullet taking case capacity. 22 nosler wins the case capacity war but with rims bending and brass being soft. 6.8 necked 22 , 6.5 grendel necked down , or even the 22 valkyrie later on are better options. Then you are able to use the long higher bc projectiles.

I don’t own one but a friend of mine had one for awhile. Pretty neat cartridge but as stated above it won’t handle the high BC bullets at mag length. Your going to have that problem in a necked down 6.8 as well. You could give the Hornady 73 grain ELD’s a try. They work good at mag length and have a good BC for weight of .398. I run them in a precision AR 223 of mine with outstanding results out to 825 yards. I haven’t tried them any further.

Good info guys, I ran into that problem with my surgeon scalpel in .260... she runs good now but was even better when loaded past mag length.

Waiting on a 24”in BSF Barrel. Building on a LWRC Six8 receiver set to take advantage of a slightly longer COAL. May need to modify the mags to get a to 2.36”in, ideally out to 2.40”in. Haven’t loaded any up but mag measures 2.32”in internally.

Last edited: