• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 nosler

long range sponge

Not quite OAF, more App-erator AF
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Springfield OH
Anyone put together a bolt action setup yet? Just wondering how well it works and what results you're getting. Local Wal-Mart has a Rem 700 223 for $325 and thought it would be neat.

Can someone tell me how the 22 Nosler is compared to the 223AI.

I know the Ruger Precision just came out in .223 and should have no issue using the 6.8 mag. Its a lot more money but the barrel swap is very simple. So I would think you would be around $1800 before glass.

It would be set in a Manners stock so I could pick whichever DBM would work best. At that point I could use the 6.8 mags as well, correct?

The biggest problem is mags. I have yet to find a platform with mags that will work with a 22 Nosler.

Ya know, I was thinking about this, and what I am thinking of doing is using my .223 Howa mini action with the Grendel mag (for the same action). That would give me the correct bolt face for the 22 Nosler, and a mag designed to feed a similarly shaped case.

Of course, at this point, it's pure mental masturbation, as there are several projects ahead of converting my Howa...

Reactions: Hyperionx92
I know the Ruger Precision just came out in .223 and should have no issue using the 6.8 mag. Its a lot more money but the barrel swap is very simple. So I would think you would be around $1800 before glass.

5.56 RPR uses AI-pattern magazines, not AR-pattern mags.

That is correct. I would have though they would have the mag well able to use other mags. That alone will now keep me from getting one as I wanted to change to 22 Nosler.

I bet an AICS-pattern Accurate Mag or MDT 223 magazine with minimal modifications would run 6.8 SPC/22 Nosler just swimmingly.

Being as ignorant/knowledge lacking as I am let me ask this. What about buying a Tikka varmint and having the barrel rechambered?

I loaded a Magpul AC 762 5rd mag with six 22 Nosler cases before it started to bind. Cases held tightly without any modifications. This doesn't guarantee reliable feeding but it's a start.

34761161110_e5fe5d37cf_c.jpg

Last edited:
I have a spare 6mm barrel I'd love to chamber in 6mm .22 nosler. Just need to find a smith who has the reamer and would do it. I'll be a test monkey

Ya know, I was thinking about this, and what I am thinking of doing is using my .223 Howa mini action with the Grendel mag (for the same action). That would give me the correct bolt face for the 22 Nosler, and a mag designed to feed a similarly shaped case.

Of course, at this point, it's pure mental masturbation, as there are several projects ahead of converting my Howa...
I have been pushing the same idea around for a while. I love the mini actions I have in 6.5 Grendel and 222 Remington, but i dont know if the mags will let me seat the bullet long enough to get the best performance out of the Nosler.

Buy you a stock with a BDL inlet and run a PTG DBM that uses AR mags. Then go buy you some 5 round Nosler mags and have fun

I have a 220 Thunderbolt. It's fairly similar to the 22 Nosler and 224 Valkyrie. (it has a 6.8/Valkyrie bolt head).

@padom did a lot of testing for the 220 Thunderbolt and he successfully used AICS style mags with BR spacer kits. Here's a link to the thread.

I have two AICS 5-round mags with BR spacer kits that allow me to load 88gr ELD-M out long. I had to play with the feed lip spacing, but they work really well now. I also have two plastic MDT mags that were modified by C&H Precision and they work really well also. When MDT released their Valkyrie mags C&H stopped offering these modified mags (as an FYI).

Good luck
Ross

220Thunderbolt vs 22Nos vs 224 Valk.jpg