• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 pcp for back yard shooting?

03machstock

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
Anyone know how “lethal” the pcp air rifles are? I was looking at getting a .22 fx pantera to shoot pellets out of , not slugs, but I don’t know how much less lethal these things will be than a regular .22 rimfire. I can shoot a shotgun if I need to at critters getting after the chickens as long as it’s not up in the air to give an idea about how far away neighbors are. I don’t have a good enough back stop to shoot a regular .22 in my opinion, but I’m probably being overly cautious and I could build up a bit of a berm if I thought the .22 PCP rifles were safe, but I don’t know enough about them. I know they’re not the pellet guns I grew up with.

The average .22 pellet shooter is slinging a 16-18gr pellet at around 900 fps(28ftlb of energy) vs 40gr at 1100(107ftlb) for a rimfire. One of my favorite .22 pcp’s is shooting a 14gr at 650, still drops a squirrel at 30 yards. Not sure if any of that info helps.

I've dropped squirrels and starlings with head shots at 50 yards with a benjamin cayden, it was a bit loud without a moderator. Quiet now :)

Reactions: 03machstock
Ok so they’re a lot less potent than I thought power wise with pellets , I’d be inside 100 yards. How quiet is it with a moderator?

Mine is really quiet now, and I have no problem hitting a one inch target at 50 yards, haven't stretched it out further yet.

Well, looks like I need one of these now haha. I wish they made something that fit a rem 700 action so I could use it in my regular stock as a trainer but I guess that would be hard with the air tanks. Thanks for the replies!

I have a Benjamin Marauder in .22 can and a Benjamin Armada in 25 cal. There’s a noticeable difference in knockdown power between the two. I primarily use mine for pigeons on farms

Both are very accurate and quiet with the built in moderators

They drop like a rock. I run a Burris E1 on my 25 cal. Sighted in at 30 yards (on 6 power) the first drop line (designed to be the 200 drop on a regular 308) is the 50 yard mark. After that they fall from the sky

If you want out to 100 yard performance you’d want to venture into 22 slugs.

The knockdown and accuracy between 50-100 yards isn’t even close between the air rifles and my suppressed .22’s. Those large skirted JSB Diablo pellets don’t hold a candle to a slug

The average .22 pellet shooter is slinging a 16-18gr pellet at around 900 fps(28ftlb of energy) vs 40gr at 1100(107ftlb) for a rimfire. One of my favorite .22 pcp’s is shooting a 14gr at 650, still drops a squirrel at 30 yards. Not sure if any of that info helps.

Or if you want to mimic a 22 LR you could look at the Gauntlet 30 which is capable of:

• Velocity with lead 44.75 gr: 1000 FPS / 99 ft-lbs
  • Velocity with lead 50.15 gr: 975 FPS / 105 ft-lbs
You will need a moderator to keep it backyard friendly. :)

Or if you want to mimic a 22 LR you could look at the Gauntlet 30 which is capable of:

• Velocity with lead 44.75 gr: 1000 FPS / 99 ft-lbs
  • Velocity with lead 50.15 gr: 975 FPS / 105 ft-lbs
You will need a moderator to keep it backyard friendly. :)
Yea he only quoted pellets because that’s what I was asking about to be back yard safe for my scenario. That’s impressive performance out of an air gun though.

Yea he only quoted pellets because that’s what I was asking about to be back yard safe for my scenario. That’s impressive performance out of an air gun though.

I have a shoot both in my backyard. Because predators that would go after chicken's could be as small as a weasel or as large as a coyote I wanted to provide an option that would cover all.

My Advice is to stay away for FX guns right now. A lot of turmoil between FX Sweden and FX USA. Large law Suit. Not sure who is going to service FX guns when they go down.

If you want an fx look at utah air.

A good airgun will get you out to 100 yards with pellets. I have a Paradigm that with the heavier 25.4 pellets can smack rabbits all day long at 100 yards. Been working on a slug for it right now and a 30 grain at 100 yards is hitting about a quarter sized group.

I bought my wife a 22 cal pellet rifle with a moderator. It's plenty powerful and accurate enough to take feral cats, skunks, possums and such. However, my B14R with a TBAC Ultra 7 223 is MUCH more quiet. I don't know if that is any sort of concern.

Get an Air Avenguri Avenge X in .22 or .25 you can always change calibers on the gun at anytime and price is right at $499.99 it’s a hell of a pcp gun. Also the mod will run ya 130-180 pending if you go with quick detach or not I would get the quick detach

This is a great first pcp

Last edited:
There are some nice deals on used FX Crowns on the AGN classifieds. These are nice for hunting and target shooting. Power levels can easily be set low or high depending on what you want to do with them. Mine has a 380 mm barrel which is a nice compact length.

My GAMO 22 cal is about as loud as a rimfire and actually has a little bit of recoil. Of course that damned thing is supersonic at about 1300 fps. I wasn't really thinking when I bought it and wound up giving it to my nephew since I realized after I shot it once that it's not neighborhood friendly. He eradicates iguanas with it (he made a little side business out of it here in Florida and does quite well).

Maybe consider a .25 PCP. I have a Taipan Veteran compact with a DonnyFL suppressor. It’s quiet enough for me to shoot in the backyard when someone is 100yd away (they won’t hear it if they try)

What I like about .25 is it hits about 1/2 as hard as .22LR out of a rimfire rifle…but no brass to clean up, no cleaning the gun, range is shorter than .22LR, which is a little safer imo for backyard

What did you end up getting?

A great way to see if there is a gun you like is to find some guys and go shooting! Many of us with these guns are always more than happy to come shooting for an afternoon and letting new people have fun. I am currently using a Katran C in 22 for back yard critters, and out to 75 yards it is great. For a little bit more power I have a Theoben Rapid clone, a Dawson, that is in 25 caliber that hits like a ton of bricks and is stupid accurate out to 100 yards with pellets.

Just like with firearms each gun will prefer its own pellets, so you will have to see what it likes the best. Then much like we do for reloading, you are able to fine tune the valving and regulator, if the gun has a regulator, to shoot a specific pellet how you want. Some like higher power some like lower power, typically around the 850-950 fps is a good starting point.

I will warn you though....... once you jump into this rabbit hole you will fall FAR! Shooting is much easier and more fun when a tin of pellet is $20 for 500 shots instead of the typical 22lr ammo.

What did you end up getting?

A great way to see if there is a gun you like is to find some guys and go shooting! Many of us with these guns are always more than happy to come shooting for an afternoon and letting new people have fun. I am currently using a Katran C in 22 for back yard critters, and out to 75 yards it is great. For a little bit more power I have a Theoben Rapid clone, a Dawson, that is in 25 caliber that hits like a ton of bricks and is stupid accurate out to 100 yards with pellets.

Just like with firearms each gun will prefer its own pellets, so you will have to see what it likes the best. Then much like we do for reloading, you are able to fine tune the valving and regulator, if the gun has a regulator, to shoot a specific pellet how you want. Some like higher power some like lower power, typically around the 850-950 fps is a good starting point.

I will warn you though....... once you jump into this rabbit hole you will fall FAR! Shooting is much easier and more fun when a tin of pellet is $20 for 500 shots instead of the typical 22lr ammo.
I didn’t get anything yet, I’m trying to slowly read up and learn about them and not do a total impulse buy. It seems the rabbit hole is indeed deep haha.

One of the beauties of many modern PCP's is their extreme range of adjustability
and the range of options available. I have rifles setup for sub 12fpe for pesting in barns without poking holes in the sheet metal
and rifles setup for smacking wood chucks and small predators at 100yds.

From the sounds of it its primary use will be protecting the flock from small predators likely under 50-75yds?

To woogie_man's point I have a fairly wide range of PCP's and equipment and live on the western NY/PA border
if you ever wanted to try out a variety of rifles and fill equipment I'd be more than happy to show you my collection.

Marauder still seems the king of quiet. Main problem might be the desire to sling that much lead quietly. On any gun, Marauder included, the more power, the louder the gun. My Marauder in .22 is tuned down to about 22 foot pounds, and is around 80 Decibels. That's very backyard friendly. If you bump to a .25 caliber that's probably not as back yard friendly.

What are you looking at spending on a rifle, or a complete set up?

If a PCP remember you are going to need some way to fill the rifle. That will either me a hand pump, typically around $60-$200 depending on the make. Or you can look at a compressor that can be anywhere from $250-$3500 again depending on the make and how large they are.

If you are looking for a quality rifle I absolutely love my EdGun R5M in 25 caliber. This rifle is an absolute hammer and you can typically find them for around $1500 or so when they come up for sale. You can go with a 22 caliber as well and look at shooting slugs to make sure you get the energy transfer needed to lay down a coyote. I have done it with my R5M with both pellets and slugs, so it can be done but the slugs were much easier. FX isn't a bad option..... BUT ..... be ready to spend a few hundred dollars more on upgrades to really make the rifles shine. You can look at the Uragan line of rifles, Daystates are awesome rifles if you want something EXTREMELY nice, Air Arms makes a quality rifle although basic.

There are many and most of us that shoot airguns typically have had quite a few different makers and will settle on the ones that fit us.

Reactions: Quirkyturtle
One of the beauties of many modern PCP's is their extreme range of adjustability
and the range of options available. I have rifles setup for sub 12fpe for pesting in barns without poking holes in the sheet metal
and rifles setup for smacking wood chucks and small predators at 100yds.

From the sounds of it its primary use will be protecting the flock from small predators likely under 50-75yds?

To woogie_man's point I have a fairly wide range of PCP's and equipment and live on the western NY/PA border
if you ever wanted to try out a variety of rifles and fill equipment I'd be more than happy to show you my collection.
Yes that’s correct, and add in rat shooting as well. I wouldn’t mind it being prs ish style so I could also practice positional shooting as well. I’m down in SE PA.

What are you looking at spending on a rifle, or a complete set up?

If a PCP remember you are going to need some way to fill the rifle. That will either me a hand pump, typically around $60-$200 depending on the make. Or you can look at a compressor that can be anywhere from $250-$3500 again depending on the make and how large they are.

If you are looking for a quality rifle I absolutely love my EdGun R5M in 25 caliber. This rifle is an absolute hammer and you can typically find them for around $1500 or so when they come up for sale. You can go with a 22 caliber as well and look at shooting slugs to make sure you get the energy transfer needed to lay down a coyote. I have done it with my R5M with both pellets and slugs, so it can be done but the slugs were much easier. FX isn't a bad option..... BUT ..... be ready to spend a few hundred dollars more on upgrades to really make the rifles shine. You can look at the Uragan line of rifles, Daystates are awesome rifles if you want something EXTREMELY nice, Air Arms makes a quality rifle although basic.

There are many and most of us that shoot airguns typically have had quite a few different makers and will settle on the ones that fit us.
I was open to spending up to 2k or so. Your lingo has my head spinning and reminds me that I need to keep reading and learn more haha.

• Haha
Reactions: woogie_man
What made your head spin? We can walk you through it. Would rather you get something you like and something good, rather than getting a crap rifle or something that won't work.

What made your head spin? We can walk you through it. Would rather you get something you like and something good, rather than getting a crap rifle or something that won't work.
Mainly just all the names of the brands and models, I’m not familiar with any of them, other than FX, which I read about on the hide. I’ll google them one by one and get caught up.

Reactions: woogie_man
There are many pcp's that have POI shifts which means missing or wounding small game, especially on the first shot. Been around many brands and have seen or heard of the various problems from cheap guns to expensive guns.

Man I've spent over $20,000 on pcp's the previous 25 years. Only four were solid 1st round hit capable. A Mac 1 USFT in 177, two Thomas target rifles - one a FT 17 cal/20 fpe and one a 22 cal HPX/60 fpe, and my AGT Vulcan 3 in 25 cal.

I'd buy a V3 from Derrick at Tenacious Airguns and have him do the full tune. Personally I prefer 25 cal for hunting and the 34gr pellets typically throw less flyers than the 25.4gr 22 cal.
His tune is worth every penny.
Very pleased with my gun!

Using 60gr Altaros slugs in my V3 at 99 fpe is pretty much cheating in the Ultimate Field Target matches I shoot in. No way to score well if the gun doesn't hold zero well. Usually I win or get 2nd place. Almost half the windage needed compared to my 22rf, and 5 times less wind hold needed than if using pellets.
An absolutely dangerous slug that carries far, and ricochets, so not backyard friendly.

My RedWolf never had any variation from 1t shot to the last, even after sitting for a while.

The FX rifles are horrible for first round shift.

Daystate is a higher end rifle. Their claim to fame is the electronics in their rifles. The trigger pull is like clicking a mouse button. They feel really dead for a shot cycle due to them not moving. I really enjoyed my Red Wolf, but it was much to nice to be carrying through the woods with.

My current woods gun is an American Air Arms Paradigm in 22 caliber. A hell of a rifle, an upgraded stock over the Evol line, I have shot thousands of rounds through it. Each time it hits exactly where I aim. Between an FX or an Evol, I would go with the Evol hands down EVERY time.

My RedWolf never had any variation from 1t shot to the last, even after sitting for a while.

Daystate is a higher end rifle. Their claim to fame is the electronics in their rifles. The trigger pull is like clicking a mouse button. They feel really dead for a shot cycle due to them not moving. I really enjoyed my Red Wolf, but it was much to nice to be carrying through the woods with.

My current woods gun is an American Air Arms Paradigm in 22 caliber. A hell of a rifle, an upgraded stock over the Evol line, I have shot thousands of rounds through it. Each time it hits exactly where I aim. Between an FX or an Evol, I would go with the Evol hands down EVERY time.
My Mini EVoL is a hammer 🔨 I love it and can’t complain a bit other than it’s price 😂

I had a Redwolf for a while. Mine wasn't a very precise rifle so I didn't shoot it much and sold it a year later. I have a lot of friends that use Redwolf's with good success though. AOA is in the Phoenix area so it seems half our airgun club uses them.
I liked the effortless cocking effort biathlon lever action, trigger was ok, and overall nice guns, that is if one doesn't mind electronic airguns which I'm personally done with.

Used a 30 cal EVOL for about a year shortly after they became available but it was a loaner in a sponsorship relationship and Tom didn't have it set up correctly. It had some problems with the magazines, also I had to hold the cocking lever back to take the magazine out and put it back in because of some type of match trigger he'd put in it??, the cocking effort was almost unpleasantly hard, the precision was decent but not great, the HS backed out over time because he hadn't tightened the retainer screw for it, and for whatever reason it hated cold weather and would hit quite low at 25Y compared to summer temps. I gave it back.
From then on I decided not to get into a sponsorship again.
I actually like the guy but doubt I'll get another AAA.
Sounds like all the bugs are worked out now so that's good.

Was able to test out one of his new HPS30 rifles and thr bolt pull is shockingly light. Considering you are pulling back a spring that is able to hit a valve that will push a 50 grain pellet to 1000 fps.

The new versions really are much nicer.

If you’re just wanting to shoot pellets don’t overlook the RAW air rifles. I have one in .22 shooting 22 grain pellets at 1000 fps for 48 ft lbs of energy. I’ve shot ground hogs and squirrels at 60 yards no problem