• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

22 pistol bullseye

Valkyrie1776

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2022
Wisconsin
I’m starting my first indoor pistol league. 22 bullseye. I have a Ruger Mark 4 with a top pic rail.
I want opinions on these 3 red dots
Sig Romeo zero
Vortex venom
Swapfox king slayer

They all fit my budget.

Which would you choose and why?

I’m NOT interested in other brands at this time.

I shot bullseye indoor for almost 5 years and ran a ultradot matchdot II due to the fact it was light weight, and you can really turn down the dot and make it as small as possible. they claim 2moa but with it dimmed as much as possible it appears smaller than any other 2moa dot I've seen. yes, I know you said you're not interested in other brands, but I'd suggest going to a match and seeing what other guys are using and trying them out

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
I shot bullseye indoor for almost 5 years and ran a ultradot matchdot II due to the fact it was light weight, and you can really turn down the dot and make it as small as possible. they claim 2moa but with it dimmed as much as possible it appears smaller than any other 2moa dot I've seen. yes, I know you said you're not interested in other brands, but I'd suggest going to a match and seeing what other guys are using and trying them out
Thank you. Honestly. I never heard of ultra dot. I did some research and they look great. Being this is my first year doing a pistol league, I want to keep my expenses to a min. The brands I mentioned are available to me with great discounts on EV. Ultradot isn’t. I do appreciate the feed back though.

Were it me, I would buy the absolute smallest dot size possible, and make sure it’s a true dot shape, not some amoeba or comet piece of crap that distracts me from my aiming. If possible try before you buy!

Reactions: Valkyrie1776
Ok. Why the chip on your shoulder? It was obvious in your first post.

You do not want advice, you want confirmation of your low budget crap choices. Doubt you last long here.
I’m still new to the bullseye. I might not enjoy it. I don’t want to invest a fortune in it yet. If you don’t have something constructive to say, then F**ck off. Seriously.

People here are a wealth of information. They are willing to share it. One lesson we have all learned is the high cost of low cost items. Not because we are smarter than you, but because we made the same mistakes.

If you want to develop your skills, consider starting with good basic gear. (Like your pistol. Excellent choice) Learn to shoot the iron sights and see if you like the bullseye game. If you do, you will have a good basic skill set and can select a good red dot and move forward. If you must buy your skills rather than learn them, you will need to invest far more and success is still doubtful.

With your attitude I suspect you will 1) Ignore this advice 2) Fail to learn the basics of pistol shooting and move on to something else.

There are some very knowledgeable pistol competitors here like @308pirate and others IIRC. Don't expect a high tolerance of your attitude here. More so with @308pirate

I will stick around as you have the potential to join our epic thread group. Might want to look into that as well. Lot of bad examples you can learn from.

BTW, How many bow kills do you have? :)

Take a look what others in the league shoot, and see first hand how you like them. I'd be very surprised if they are not more than willing to let you see what they have before you buy. Otherwise, pretty solid advise across the board with the previous posts.

People here are a wealth of information. They are willing to share it. One lesson we have all learned is the high cost of low cost items. Not because we are smarter than you, but because we made the same mistakes.

If you want to develop your skills, consider starting with good basic gear. (Like your pistol. Excellent choice) Learn to shoot the iron sights and see if you like the bullseye game. If you do, you will have a good basic skill set and can select a good red dot and move forward. If you must buy your skills rather than learn them, you will need to invest far more and success is still doubtful.

With your attitude I suspect you will 1) Ignore this advice 2) Fail to learn the basics of pistol shooting and move on to something else.

There are some very knowledgeable pistol competitors here like @308pirate and others IIRC. Don't expect a high tolerance of your attitude here. More so with @308pirate

I will stick around as you have the potential to join our epic thread group. Might want to look into that as well. Lot of bad examples you can learn from.

BTW, How many bow kills do you have? :)
I know there are a lot of good people to learn from here. That’s why I’m on here. But I I absolutely can NOT stand people who interject their 2 cents without providing anything useful. I have done a LOT of research. I narrowed down my choices to the 3 I mentioned. Not because I think they are the best, but because I have an alternate use for them should I decide to upgrade in the future. I think I am a decent shooter. Pistol and rifle. I am by NO means as good as the majority of people here. I will be using open sights for this season and honing my skills.
No one has asked me any questions to this point. Why I chose those etc.

As for “fu*king of it’s the wrong guy on here” as someone stated. Too bad. The first thing he said to me was basically “red dots are for people who don’t know how to shoot and bulls eye should only be for people to practice shooting. He insulted me and gave no other input whatsoever.

If he had provided any useful information at all, I would not have reacted the way he did.

I’m here to learn, but if I had simply said, I want a red dot, I would have dozens of different suggestions with dozens of reasons and I would still be narrowing down choices. I did the narrowing first.

None of my business, but you chose one of the most stand up guys on the site to fuck with, good job!
Oops. Honestly, his first response to my post was basically “dont use red dots because people with red dots don’t know how to shoot”. It was a dumb comment with no useful feed back. I did respond to someone who mentioned a different brand. He provided useful information with a reason behind it. If that guy has something useful to say, I’ll listen. If he wants to insult people using red dots, I’m not listening.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
No one has asked me any questions to this point. Why I chose those etc.

I’m here to learn, but if I had simply said, I want a red dot, I would have dozens of different suggestions with dozens of reasons and I would still be narrowing down choices. I did the narrowing first.
You’re here to learn. Lesson 1: Read the part again about learning the high cost of low cost items.

I’m still new to the bullseye. I might not enjoy it. I don’t want to invest a fortune in it yet. If you don’t have something constructive to say, then F**ck off. Seriously.
GBPSE.....

You knew it was coming 🤣

Reactions: TheBigCountry
You’re here to learn. Lesson 1: Read the part again about learning the high cost of low cost items.
I completely understand what that means. I know what buy once cry once is. There is a reason I chose those 3. If I continue in the league and upgrade to a better red dot, I’m good spending the money there. The dot I choose from my list will be used on something else. This isn’t just a “buy cheap” deal. I have a lot of factors in play.

Ok everyone. Here’s the deal.

I selected the 3 dots that I did for this reason.
I’ve shot a few pistols with dots and liked it. I’ve never shit MY pistol, in my league with a dot. I want to.
If I like it as much as I think I will, and if it improves my performance, I will upgrade to a better optic.
What ever dot I select from the list will go in my “fun gun”. My budget AR that constantly swap out parts and try new things and just tinker with. It only has open sights on it, and I want to put a red dot on it. It’s not about accuracy or quality. It’s my tinker plinker

I hope that helps explain why I selected the couple dots that I did.

Ok everyone. Here’s the deal.

I selected the 3 dots that I did for this reason.
I’ve shot a few pistols with dots and liked it. I’ve never shit MY pistol, in my league with a dot. I want to.
If I like it as much as I think I will, and if it improves my performance, I will upgrade to a better optic.
What ever dot I select from the list will go in my “fun gun”. My budget AR that constantly swap out parts and try new things and just tinker with. It only has open sights on it, and I want to put a red dot on it. It’s not about accuracy or quality. It’s my tinker plinker

I hope that helps explain why I selected the couple dots that I did.
Cool. That said. I’d still choose option 4 - none of the above. Keep saving for a nice red dot because you already like them.

Reactions: RTH1800
I would go with the Swampfox King Slayer. Just because it sounds cool.
Lol
my Aimpoint 9000sc is by far the best red dot sight I have ever tried. But it is heavy. One of these days I'll find a gun I can use it on.
My other choice is still the H-1 and H-2 Micro sights from Aimpoint. It has brightness ranges I never use, but even in bright sunlight the dot is clear and sharp, and the view through the sight is crystal clear AND sharp. All these little things matter. I wanted to buy the Aimpoint P-1 Acro, but it's not a "tube sight", which I'm so used to. If it didn't cost so much, I'd still like to try one.
interesting. From what I found, Aimpoint wasn’t really a good brand. I’m not saying swampfox is by any means, but I thought aimpoint was on par with truglo.

Reactions: Enigmo
Cool. That said. I’d still choose option 4 - none of the above. Keep saving for a nice red dot because you already like them.
Things seem to be going that way. What I don’t want to do is invest in an expensive one and not like it. All I’ve used are open dots, but I’m learning enclosed are the way to go. My league is all indoor and my pistol won’t get any abuse unless I drop it.

Pistol size RDS are not always a great match on an AR as a primary optic.
For example your Vortex Venom, sure it's cheap, but on an AR it is very limiting as a primary optic unless you are simply putting that on as a backup to an existing LPVO or scope that you already have on it.

Yes I tried it once and it was significantly limiting.

Pistol size RDS are not always a great match on an AR as a primary optic.
For example your Vortex Venom, sure it's cheap, but on an AR it is very limiting as a primary optic unless you are simply putting that on as a backup to an existing LPVO or scope that you already have on it.

Yes I tried it once and it was significantly limiting.
Yeah. I’m well aware. The red dot would just be for shits and giggles on the AR. Testing loads and stuff.

I just bought a 1 MOA RMR for this exact purpose...very happy with it and recommend it, but it is also expensive...back to the thought of you get what you pay for and buy once cry one. It is on a Volquartsen Scorpion.

I just bought a 1 MOA RMR for this exact purpose...very happy with it and recommend it, but it is also expensive...back to the thought of you get what you pay for and buy once cry one. It is on a Volquartsen Scorpion.
If I continue in the league, I’m looking at a few different upgrades. Haven’t gotten too in depth yet. I can get the Trijicon 1 moa for under $400. So it’s not terribly priced for me.
Lol

interesting. From what I found, Aimpoint wasn’t really a good brand. I’m not saying swampfox is by any means, but I thought aimpoint was on par with truglo.
I just found this EXACT same statement on bullseyeforum.net from 2-2-2020 a guy named Mike meyers.

Aimpoint dots have won bullseye national titles. The tube style that are like UltraDots are high quality dot sights. I recommend an adjustable dot size if you can since you don’t really know what works for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valkyrie1776
I am one of those dinosaurs still using metallic sights in bullseye competition. Go ahead and start with irons. Take a look at what dots the top shooters are using.
honestly for the accuracy demands of bullseye pistol, you don’t need costly optics.

I’m starting my first indoor pistol league. 22 bullseye. I have a Ruger Mark 4 with a top pic rail.
I want opinions on these 3 red dots
Sig Romeo zero
Vortex venom
Swapfox king slayer

They all fit my budget.

Which would you choose and why?

I’m NOT interested in other brands at this time.
I would go with Vortex Venom. I just like Vortex stuff. Sorry about the guys going off post. That is how it goes on here

If you want a low cost Dot to try out. I have truglo dot. I have 2 of them for years one on a S&W Victory and 10-22 for steel shooting. I like the click adjustment, not like some that you have to loosen a screw, then make the adjust, then tighten the screw. Green and Red dots with 10 setting for each.

I have a Venom on my Taurus TX22 Comp. Fits nicely, works well. I'm terrible but maybe a little less so with this. Couldn't justify the cost of a Holosun for my meager skills.