• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
I've decided to get a 22 revolver. I have an autoloading 22, but I really like the idea of being able to make use of all the versatile 22 ammo out there - without single loading.

I require a double action.

I've all but decided on the SW 617, but I have a few questions:

1. How much more velocity is 22WMR good for over high velovity 22LR from a 4" or 6" barrel? I'd love a convertible 22, but the only double action convertible is the taurus and I don't like it much. Too big, handles clumsy, and looks crappy.

2. I read that convertibles have a groove diameter a few thou bigger than a straight 22LR, and accuracy suffers when firing 22LR. Any truth to this?

3. I can't decide between a 4" or 6". Which should I get? I much prefer the look/handling/balance of the 4", but its not like I'm going to be concealing it. Its going to be a plinker. Only practical use would be ground hogs in the yard and little critters in the barn. I can shoot a short barrel accurately, but obviously not AS accurately as a longer one. I'm also concerned about the shot pattern with the short barrel with bird/snake shot for dispatching mice. Then there are the velocity concerns. I'm really racking my brain on this!

Would love some feedback/experience/thoughts!

Re: 22 Revolvers

Get an older pre lock 617. It will only go up in value and give you years of great shooting. All of my Model 17's are 6" and I like them. Have had 4" models in the past and they worked great with rat shot for shooting rats in the barn.

Tried the .22 magnum and never enjoyed it out of a pistol. Most shooters will not be able to shoot the difference between a gun with or without the convertible cylinder feature.

.22 Smith revolvers are habit forming...

Frankly I'd go for a Model 17 or 18 instead of the 617. The actions are smoother, triggers lighter (usually), and often cheaper to buy.

And of course if you happen to find a K22 for a reasonable amount that would be a really good choice. I agree on the pre lock guns being smoother and holding more value. I think the pre lock 617 is very smooth on average, and they are of course easy to do an action job on, just takes patience and a stone.

I worked over a 625 (n frame) with lock. Took about 10 minutes to deactivate the lock. I stoned the sear and installed a wolf leaf spring and trigger return spring. It came out really nice.

Would I be able to do the same on the 617?

Heres what Ive got against the 17/18/K22:

1. 6 shots vs 10
2. Its blued. I love blued guns, but Ive got poison fingers and have a HELLUVA time keeping them nice. 22s are dirty and will get a lot of use. I foresee troubles with me and a blued 22 revolver.

3. I am a sucker for fluted barrels and full lugs. The full lug on the 617 looks great.

I talked to a Smith&Wesson rep about 8 years ago as to why they had dropped the
22 mag in their revolvers. He said they didn't offer a velocity advantage worth the
while. Less than a 100 feet per second in longer barrels and almost nothing in a
2 or 4 inch. Then he went on to say they were probably going to build them again
because of the demand. I shoot an 18-3 target and it is a wonderful gun. I also
have a Colt Diamondback that is as nice to shoot but not as accurate and kind of
in the collector class these days. You won't be sorry paying extra for a Smith, new
or used.

What are your thoughts on a older ruger single six?
It has both long rifle and magnum cylinders?
I've found one for a great price! 200.00
Is this a good deal? Is it worth the price?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cajunshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are your thoughts on a older ruger single six?
It has both long rifle and magnum cylinders?
I've found one for a great price! 200.00
Is this a good deal? Is it worth the price? </div></div>

Yeah, that's a good deal. I paid $250 foe mine in like new condition. For some reason, the .22Mag is more accurate out of my 4" barrel. Hell on grouse though.

1911fan

There were 2 SP101 on GB today. One was sold for the BIN this afternoon, $539.

As far as the Ruger Single Six. Most shoot reasonably well, some are tack drivers. If it is a LR/Mag convertiable, they have a .224 barrel. The LR ( soft lead) round likes a .220-.221 grove depth. IF you can find a non-convertiable model(did not ship with the mag cylinder) most of the time it will be a very good shooter.

Also, the single six is now a 10 shot.

That is a smokin deal on a stainless convertible. I had one years back with a longer
barrel and have always regretted selling it. I couldn't shoot well enough in those
days to know how good or bad the gun was.

S&W has built convertibles. They come with a complete crane and cylinder assembly that switch out easily.

That said, I suggest you try out a 63 AKA kit-gun. They are a J-frame and are extremely handy. They're small enough to fit in the pocket of a fishing vest but are a little harder to shoot as well as the various K-frames. They are not inherently less accurate than the K guns and once your used to it, I'll bet it becomes your favored .22.

I have a 6.5inch barrel old heritage rr, I chrono'd some mag loads over 1500fps, I didnt test any 22lr rounds but Id guess their around 900-1000fps. Varied greatly on the load though some mag loads were only in the 1100-1200 range. It was a while ago dont remember the exact loads.

Alright gang... I've decided on a 617, after doing s'more research. But, I still just can't decide on bbl length. I know I don't need the 6" for accuracy, and I certainly prefer the look/feel if the 4", but I'm not liking the ~150fps loss of the 4", as compared to the 6". Should I say fuggit to looks/handling and get the 6", which is a better performer, or say fuggit to the increased performance and get the 4"?

Update:

I finally got one. The 617s are neither cheap, nor very common. After an exhaustive local search and finding 2 new ones for $800, and a couple 6-shot, 6" barrel used ones for $600, I scored what I think was a pretty decent deal on gunbroker. I gave $550 shipped for a used one in excellent condition.

Took it out yesterday - shoots nice but the trigger is god awful. I will be doing a full action job on it... Hopefully I can get the DA pull down to 7 or 8lbs. Right now its in the 15lb zone.

While I enjoy my Model 63:

summer2010081.jpg

I find the K frames much easier to shoot accurately.

I have both a pre model 18 from the 1950s:

0062.jpg

and a much newer Model 17:

dec2006060.jpg

dec2006092.jpg

I find the Model 17 to be as accurate as many .22 rifles. In fact I have popped numerous jacks at distances that many would consider beyond handgun ranges with it.

I would buy a used pre lock gun before I would even consider a new one.

From an investment point of view the prelock models are a huge plus. However, they didnt make all stainless 10 shot prelocks.

For my purposes, which is to shoot the crap out of it, investment was low priority. 10 shot and all stainless was high priority.

I did a full action job the last two nights and took it out today. Its fantastic! DA trigger is remarkably smooth - as good as any I've felt. I detensioned the mainspring at the range as low as I could go and get reliable ignition. Ended up at 5.5lb, which is crazy low for a smith rimfire....from what I've read. I was able to cut 3 coils off a 13lb trigger rebound spring...because I slicked up the action so well I guess. I'm very pleased.

Mackay, the new Smiths are as good as they were in the 50's. I own several old
ones and my new (12 years old or so) 629 came with a trigger and lockup as nice
as my 50's 27-2. The stuff smith put out in the 90's before being bought back by
Americans was not too hot.

I'd just stick with the .22LR in the revolver. The .22 mag is still loaded for long barrel use. The added muzzle report and muzzle flash doesn't help either. If you've got to shoot true jacketed bullets...okay, but it not...22LR is it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Mackay, the new Smiths are as good as they were in the 50's. I own several old
ones and my new (12 years old or so) 629 came with a trigger and lockup as nice
as my 50's 27-2. The stuff smith put out in the 90's before being bought back by
Americans was not too hot. </div></div>

Yeah,

I actually have a number of N frames.I have acquired them up to the point of the locks, but stopped there. I have blued 29 Classic and Classic DX versions that I would actually consider the pinnacle of S&Ws 29 series when it comes to performance.

They are exceptionally smooth actions and stellar shooters.

A couple of pics, since we all like 'em....

5" Classic:

Taffin44project037.jpg

5" Classic DX:

044.jpg

The Taurus model 94, with 9-round cylinder, is a nice cheap alternative. They can be found in the $250 range the last time I checked. Small grip, more for kids hands, which isn't necessarily bad if you use it to introduce kids to shooting. I had one with a 4" barrel and it was a hoot to plink with.

I like the 6" barrel. Mine is on a Dan Wesson 22, put a red dot on it and it is a great squirrel getter.

I would recommend the six inch over the four inch simply for the improved balance. An older Model 17 would be my first choice, but the low maintenance of a 617 is very appealing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SigKev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend the six inch over the four inch simply for the improved balance. An older Model 17 would be my first choice, but the low maintenance of a 617 is very appealing. </div></div>

Balance is clearly a very subjective thing! I much prefer the balance of the 4". I love blued guns, but for this one, stainless was a requirement.

So far, after the trigger job, I really like my 4" 617.