• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rubar01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
Luling, Louisiana
I'm looking for a 22 semi pistol to play around with at the range.
Possibly get a can for it as well.
Thanks in advance

Re: 22 semi pistol

You really can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark series. I like the Mk 2 because you don't have some of the trigger shenanigans going on like the Mk 3 has. Plenty of aftermarket parts, easy to add a can. Reliable, accurate, what more could you want?

If you really want to do it right get one of the volquartsen ruger frames and a tac-sol Paclite upper. It is incredibly light, accurate, and suppressor ready.

Nearly everyone will tell you either Ruger (mk or 22/45) or Buckmark. Nearly everyone will give their own personal opinions why one is better than the other haha. I'd say they are tied in being at the top of the quality standards. For both you can find any accessory you could dream of. The reliability and durability of both is exceptional. You really can not go wrong choosing one over the other. There are other options, yes...If you have tiny-ass hands and/or want to have to find out which ammo your gun likes.

Ruger or Browning, feed it anything. Buy a speedloader as well, and you will have more fun than you thought possible shooting and spend very little money doing it. I actually sold 3 centerfire handguns after buying my Ruger, I just never shot them anymore.

I own a buckmark and it is a great little gun. It's not threaded...yet. haven't owned a river.

There are 2 dogs in this fight, Ruger mk and Browning Buckmark.
Its really a Ford/Chevy debate. I have a buckmark because I dont like the grip angle on the Ruger. Try both and buy the one that you like best, cant go wrong with either.

Own a Ruger but would not hesitate to buy a Browning. Whatever you do, for the love of all that is holy do not buy a Sig Mosquito!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are 2 dogs in this fight, Ruger mk and Browning Buckmark</div></div>

I don't know about that...Pick a full size pistol that you can get a .22 conversion for. It will offer you the ability to have two for the price of 1.5.

I run a G34 with a Advantage Arms 17-22 kit and LOVE IT.
You can get A sig version with a 22lr slide and I know you can get a 1911 version with a 22 slide.

If you train with .22 in rifle situations...why not train with 22lr in pistol situations with the ability to revert back to full power?

430904_376590935685881_118575008154143_1534013_2052864095_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't know about that...Pick a full size pistol that you can get a .22 conversion for. It will offer you the ability to have two for the price of 1.5.

I run a G34 with a Advantage Arms 17-22 kit and LOVE IT.
You can get A sig version with a 22lr slide and I know you can get a 1911 version with a 22 slide.

If you train with .22 in rifle situations...why not train with 22lr in pistol situations with the ability to revert back to full power? </div></div>
Very valid point. But he said play around with, not train for a deployment haha And if he's like me and has a full size pistol, but not one a kit is made for, than what? Spend more money? I might also be wrong, maybe this guy IS training for something. I took a guess.

I agree with you, the kits serve a niche purpose and are great at it! But most of us leisure shooters don't need that purpose, we just want to shoot lot's of cheap ammo for fun. Another plus for Ruger or Browning is that you can get speedloaders that can load the mags quicker than you can empty them, and your thumb doesn't get sore.

P.S. Yes, I tried out a 1911 conversion of a buddies cause I was thinking about it. Didn't hold open the slide on the last round (my ruger does
grin.gif
) I hated having to disassemble and reassamble to use the other caliber. And the biggest con for me, yes I know I'm repeating myself, is the lack of speedloaders. (they really are that awesome!) But, to each his own, everyone like's different things. You found something you like and that's great! I'm not saying it's not! I just like having two seperate guns.

Budget hasn't been mentioned, but if you can spend $700-900, consider a S&W model 41. They are a beautiful, accurate, dandy 22 pistol...among the finest that money can buy.

my first vote would go for the Ruger MKiii. Second would be a smith and wesson M&P22. Exact clone of the M&P full size pistols. Should cost you less than $400. I have heard that you are much better off buying a dedicated 1911/22 instead of buying a conversion kit for the 1911s. Cheaper and more reliable seems to be the consensus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Budget hasn't been mentioned, but if you can spend $700-900, consider a S&W model 41. They are a beautiful, accurate, dandy 22 pistol...among the finest that money can buy. </div></div>

The Model 41 is a tremendous pistol, match grade from the box. The newer ones have some minor issues like breech face marring that an early one won't have. So if you have the option buy an older model 41.

The only issue with the 41 in regards to OP is the availability to mount a suppressor.

+1 mine is great.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Budget hasn't been mentioned, but if you can spend $700-900, consider a S&W model 41. They are a beautiful, accurate, dandy 22 pistol...among the finest that money can buy. </div></div>

I have a few friends that have Walter p22 and they are fun. Really fun with a can. The take down of the rugers turn me off. But I would say buy whatever feels good in your hand. Good luck let us know what you pick

I own both with Tacsol uppers and run a suppressor on both. The Ruger is a little quieter due to the closed chamber area when suppressed than the Buckmark. The Buckmark is easier to keep clean. A suppressed .22 is very dirty so if you intend to shoot a lot suppressed I would go with the Browning.. Accuracy on both is very good.