• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 22 Trainer FFP Scope $800-900

ZombieSlayer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
The Land Down Under
Here's the dilemma. Time to put some new glass on my trainer. It's used for punching paper @ 50 and 100 and reactive targets out to 250 and further as time goes on to about 350 maybe a touch more before i run out of backstop. This rifle also gets used spotlighting small game so illumination is required for it especially because the reticles seem fairly fine at min magnification.

I've narrowed down my choices to 4 scopes that seem to fit my needs but each is sacrificing something for another.

3-12x44 Bushnell mildot, sacrificing mag for bench shooting.
6-24x50 Bushnell Mildot, sacrificing spotlight quick target acquisition.
3-15x50 Weaver mildot, and 4-20x50 Weaver mildot. I believe these are mil/moa tho not sure exactly. I don't range with the scope only for wind holds so anyone able to confirm the weaver reticle dot gaps? And are they both illuminated?

This rifle is likely to see fairly even usage for hunting, target, lr training/reactive targets which is the biggest dilemma as no one use is more important than another.

Other options welcomed however not interested in vortex. Budget is somewhere about the 4 mentioned and no room to move upwards. Comfortable with either mil or moa adjustments.

Feel free to bounce some experience and ideas around. Thanks.

Last edited:
I believe the Weavers are mil/mil as I did some poking around on their site earlier today. I'm in the same situation you are, another one you might wanna look at it the SWFA 3-15x42 mil quad. $699 with a $599 sample list. I do not care for the reticle myself, but you may want to take a look.

I was going to say the same thing. The Vortex Viper PST 4-16x is well below your top price. And the 6-24x can be had for less than the top number also.

His location says the land down under, so I'm assuming he's not interested in the Vortex because of mailing with warranty issues? Think I remember someone from Australia saying It was a hassle to mail stuff from them to Vortex. I dunno how Bushnell would be with that either but from your list, I would choose the 3-12. No experience with that exact scope, but I like Bushnell. And 3-12 would be my desired magnification for the purposes you mentioned

I agree about the Viper PST 4-16 if he could add it to the list. I had one, and it was hard to let go when I sold it. Illumination worked great, awesome reticle, perfect tracking, turrets felt crisp. Was happy when I got my SS 5-20 though ;)

To me, the SS 3-15x42 is a no brainer. 36 mils of elevation, and you use all of it if going past 300 yards with a .22lr. Focuses down to 7m, has additional 10 mils of holdover in the reticle. $599 samplelist, Haven't see another FFP with theses features for that price...

I presently have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44mm with the G2DMR on my .22LR. I like the reticle, and I like being able to focus down to 10m. The upper-end magnification works fine for my typical purpose (which is popping critters at relatively short distances), but might be a bit weak for serious paper-punching.

I also have the aforementioned SWFA SS 3-15x42mm on another rifle, and it'd be my most-likely choice if I had to pick a good rimfire scope. It was about $200 cheaper than the Bushnell, and while I like the G2DMR reticle better, it's not worth that much additional money to me.

The 4-16 PST is a good one for when you dont want to spend 3k but still want FFP, Ilum, MIL/MIL, reasonable zerostop (CRS works as advertised) and the clicks really are distinct for a scope at this price point.

For a .22 trainer, i'd go the 3-12 Chelppy... What about Sightron, not sure if they're illuminated though.

My weaver tactical 2-10 has 40 mils of elevation, but no paralax adjustment. The 3-15 has ~40 mils as well. The 4-20 has significantly less. These scopes feature very bright glass and illumination. I have no experience with their competition though.

Just bought a Vortex 6-24x50 FFP and can't wait to get it on the range. After a lot of research, only other scope I was interested in was a SWFA SS

I presently have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44mm with the G2DMR on my .22LR. I like the reticle, and I like being able to focus down to 10m. The upper-end magnification works fine for my typical purpose (which is popping critters at relatively short distances), but might be a bit weak for serious paper-punching.

I also have the aforementioned SWFA SS 3-15x42mm on another rifle, and it'd be my most-likely choice if I had to pick a good rimfire scope. It was about $200 cheaper than the Bushnell, and while I like the G2DMR reticle better, it's not worth that much additional money to me.

It's not illuminated tho which took it off my list.

I've seen too many Vortex returned for warranty (thru the local distributor) and significant wait times for replacement or repair as well as a few with the glass not representative of the price. They're also bloody long as to are the Sightrons.

It's not illuminated tho which took it off my list.

In that case, I'd go for the Weaver Tactical EMDR 3-15x50mm. I own one, and am rather impressed by its optical and mechanical performance. The main downside for the intended usage is that it's a rather large and heavy scope for rimfire use, which may not be a problem at all.

doesn't look like the 4-20 Weaver is illuminated. From memory the older model had 1/8 adjustments and as a result less total adjustment. Both newer models being .1mil I would assume to be similar adjustment range but that's a moot point without illumination anyways which is a bit of a bummer as a 4-20 would probably be ideal.

In that case, I'd go for the Weaver Tactical EMDR 3-15x50mm. I own one, and am rather impressed by its optical and mechanical performance. The main downside for the intended usage is that it's a rather large and heavy scope for rimfire use, which may not be a problem at all.

Heavy I guess. Weight is not an issue as its not a walkabout gun. More a sit and wait or out of a vehicle use. It is more compact than others removed from the list @ 13.5". Can you confirm total adjustment on the one you received? And how's the reticle thickness as I can't find its dimensions listed anywhere? I really think the little bit of extra mag will be handy for paper punching tho not as much so as 24x obviously but I don't know that I can live with 6x as a minimum when hunting.
I know I shoot 300-500 with a 14x and 16x whilst wanting more I wasn't in any way restricted in doing so. Shooting out there 10x I definitely wanted more.
Thinking 3-15 is gonna be about the best mag range in my budget.

My weaver tactical 2-10 has 40 mils of elevation, but no paralax adjustment. The 3-15 has ~40 mils as well.

Uh... no. The 3-15x does not have 40 mils, which is about 136 MOA and would make it just about the greatest elevation range on the market for that magnification, even including the 34-35mm tube $3k scopes. There are two versions of the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50, the EMDR version is listed as having 100 MOA, the other versions (of which I own one) have about 70 MOA. You can see the specs here:

Weaver - Tactical Weapons - Super Slam Scopes

Edit: see that you listed in a later post that your EMDR has about 31 mils, which is about what it should have. Leaving this post for the link to specs.

Uh... no. The 3-15x does not have 40 mils, which is about 136 MOA and would make it just about the greatest elevation range on the market for that magnification, even including the 34-35mm tube $3k scopes. There are two versions of the Weaver Tactical 3-15x50, the EMDR version is listed as having 100 MOA, the other versions (of which I own one) have about 70 MOA. You can see the specs here:

Weaver - Tactical Weapons - Super Slam Scopes

Edit: see that you listed in a later post that your EMDR has about 31 mils, which is about what it should have. Leaving this post for the link to specs.

I thought the 3-15 had more. Like 35, but I wasn't sure, so I checked. The 2-10x36 does have 40 mils though.

A scope with ~30 mils of travel, mounted to a 20MOA (~6 mil) base, is going to offer roughly 18-20 mils of elevation once mounted and zero'd. That should get someone out past 300 yards without holdovers.

Well just a update. I went with the Weaver 3-15 EMDR. Mounted, had a play and bore sighted (2 mil windage none elevation (0moa base presently) but yet to fire it hopefully in the next week that'll happen.

Initial impressions are basically as all reports of it that I've found or been relayed here. Definitely noticed the weight when pulling it out of the box but on the rifle not so much. The finish tho nice and uniform seems to be more matte with a dry type feel to it that's hard to explain. It seems to pick up dirt more than the glossy finishes of my Bushy or Vortex an most other scopes I have. Not really an issue just something I noticed. Clicks aren't as firm as my Vortex or Bushy but still defined and easy to turn. Illumination is similar to others have said. the brighter settings do was out the lenses especially on max mag. @ 3x the lower 3 settings are fine, once up to about 6-7x its back to the duller 2 settings for both red and green. Will not pose an issue as its only needed at lower magnification for hunting small critters at night. The brightest settings are visible in full daylight without washing out the lenses to my eye. Focus, magnification and parallax adjustments turn as I'd expect, firm but not too tight. Eye box is a little tight but to be expected with a 5x ratio but its not an issue basically as expected. The only negative I have for it is the lack of a sunshade and even then its not really that much of a problem. When purchasing I didn't think it'd be an issue as surely something else I already have would fit, but no. Its a larger thread so everything I already have just slips in and out. At this point I'm happy with the purchase and the glass appears to be easily worth the purchase price of $700.

Chelppy...

Whats a Chelpy? ;)