• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 trainer options?

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
A little back story-

One of my best friends passed away at only 33yrs old two weeks ago- I served with him in Iraq. He leaves five kids, aged 6mo to 14. One special needs. They were not all that well off financially, and he was disabled. My friend dealt with considerable PTSD both from service and from childhood. That lead to substance abuse problems... which lead to him losing his gun rights. Anyway, he loved shooting; I got him interested in LR shooting, and he dreamed of shooting with his friends, and his sons joining us, etc etc. That was unfortunately, not possible due to his firearms prohibition, and to a lesser degree, his financial situation.

Well, I don't have any kids (yet), but if I did, I'd hope very much, that my friends would take them under their wing, and teach them to shoot... and the ones I served with, help them to understand who I was, in that part of my life.

So, there lays the basis for my question....

I'm looking for a good bolt action .22LR trainer to get things kicked off. Ultimately, I'll be financing the shooting activities for these boys, for the foreseeable future, so I don't think a CZ is an option on the table here. We're more in the Savage and Ruger ballpark, mainly because, I'm going to need to purchase a 6mm in the spring if the oldest two boys decide to get serious about this (I run .300WM, and also have .308's... but for the second oldest, both are going to be too much; not to mention, the .308 ballistics being poor); it makes more sense to save a little on the .22.

So anyway, any suggestions on what route to go with this? I'm looking for a threaded barrel from the factory so I can toss one of my rimfire cans on it.
***Is the Ruger American Rimfire Target ($380) worth the extra cash over the Savage B22 FV-SR ($280) or MkII FV-SR ($220)?
***Speaking of the Savage options, is the B22 actually a better option than the tried and true MkII??
***Which rifle has more accessories or stock options out there???
***Which has the better trigger from the factory?
***Which has a better after market trigger option?
***Which has shown better accuracy?
***Are there other sub $400 options out there (worth discussing) that I've missed?

Any suggestions on optics? I can get mil-discount from Bushnell, Burris, and Vortex. I'm not looking for BDC .22 reticles. I want them to be able to learn the concept of holds and dialing. But I'm also not going to drop $1000 on an optic for a .22 trainer that costs under $500.

I don't own any .22 trainers, so this is all new to me. Serious .22 accuracy has never been something I've looked into. .22 has always just been a fun "toy".

Thanks guys!

If your looking form a economy 22 to start a kid off on take a look at a ruler 10/22 as a good first gun

A Ruger 10/22 is a good choice for a starter because there are SO many upgrades out there however I've not shot with anyone that had a tricked out 10/22 to know exactly what their accuracy potential is but...CZ 455s can be bought for right around $400 and then the options are endless as how you can upgrade. Barrels, triggers, stocks/chassis and some of the upgrades are fairly inexpensive. I had an old 453 with the single set trigger that shot fairly well with good ammo and I've seen lots of those around used for $300 range. I'm sure that Savages shoot fine, I'm just not familiar with them. Most of the rifles mentioned will require good ammo to reach their potential most likely, which translates in to $5-7 a box of 50. If you're shooting 50 yds or less then CCI std vel. works pretty good.

No need for tricking one out. :cool:

dzEW4z3.jpg

I'm primarily looking to stick to bolt action, to discourage rapid fire.

455's can be had for the $400 range? Are we talking with a threaded barrel??

I just picked up a CZ 455 Tacticool from Whittaker guns last week for $423, they come threaded with a Boyd's stock. If you shop around you should be able to get one for the same price or a little less.

Well then! Would the 455 tacticool be the best option?

Does it have a single or two stage trigger?

Here is the base model 455 with 16.5" threaded barrel, I believe they have a single stage trigger. Mine should be at my ffl Monday, they have a ton of upgrades including triggers and stocks/chassis. The only difference between this model and the tacticool is the Boyd's stock which run about $120. Buds currently has the tacticool for about $480.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, I respect that your teaching his sons how to shoot that's awesome.. I would definitely support starting them on a bolt-gun! I started on a single-shot lever-gun.. I would support a CZ455 Varmint

IMO, I would get the least expensive 455 HB 22lr you can find (with that I would not get a threaded barrel if it cost any more at all). No need in a can on a 22lr, use that money on either a custom barrel or a Manners stock (or chassis), or on the best scope you can afford. The base 455 with the wood stock may not look the part but it will shoot just as good as any with a factory barrel. Up grade it as your shooting progresses. Spend the $ saved on ammo, ammo, and more ammo...

HA, thanks Bryan but there is a lot of very knowledgeable guys here on the Hide.

Looks like I'll be in the market for the CZ455, threaded barrel (I already have cans to use with it), and a two stage trigger for it. Might upgrade the scope on my .223 5R and move that old scope to the 455. Bushnell 3-12 mil/mil.

I have the Ruger American I got for under $300 with a little shopping. I really liked the green stock and was interested in a plinker for my son. It shot crappy with Win bulk ammo but right at 1/2 inch with wolf ammo. Def get match subsonic ammo if you want any decent groups for both rifles. Trigger is very similar to the savage one. Blindfolded I prob not know diff. I really wanted the 10 rnd rotary mag from Ruger.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/698707092

I bought my brother the regular FV-SR savage and he upgraded to the Manners stock. Obviously out of your budget on the stock upgrade, but that B22 stock is pretty decent alt. It also shoots really good for $200 bucks that it was at cheaper than dirt several years ago. The std fv-sr stock is very crappy with no cheek weld to speak of. I would def get the B22 not only for that reason but also the rotary mag. Im not sure if they function as well as the legendary Ruger rotary mag, but I don't see it being that bad.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696732377

I think both on avg are capable of under 1" and closer to 1/2" groups with match ammo. Both of mine were roughly 1/2 inch shooters. PLENTY accurate for kids plinking. Personally I wouldn't get the CZ as for kids, you can almost get 2 of the cheaper ones for same price then they both get to have fun. I would also advise to stay away from autoloaders. Very detrimental to the fundamentals of shooting, esp in young shooters. Not to mention the increased ammo costs. ha.

As for scopes, as mentioned there isn't a more reliable value than the SS fixed power scopes. I have the 12x with the mil quad rect and it is lights out on the FV-SR. I have hit several birds at 100 yards with that set up. I would take it all day every day over an Athlon.

Good Luck,
DT

The rest of the boys got you sorted out so I won't add to or echo their comments. I'll simply say, "Thank you" for being a badass human being.

Definitely a CZ 455 tacticool or the Savage FVSR, the B22 is just a MKII with a new design plastic stock. If you gonna keep the plastic stock go with the B22 if your going to put it in a Boyds Tacticool (which you totally should if it's going to be a trainer gun)

For a scope the Athlon Talos BTR 4x14x44 FFP cannot be beat for almost any purpose and fits a budge t friendly gun very nicely. I say Savage FVSR with the Boyds tacticool and the Athlon Talos BTR would be the way to go. Don't want the Savage get the CZ 455 tacticool. In my experience the Savages shoot just as well as the CZ. I put together an FVSR in a Boyds for this:
250$ for the FVSR
120$ for Boyds Tacticool with DIP heavy duty bottom metal.
370$ for the gun total

CZ 455 tacticool 400 and change at least but it comes with the Boyds already.

Athlon Talos BTR 289$ sweet Mil reticle, Mil turrets, 4x14x44 FFP

Cool thing your doing man. Let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited:
Here's the reticle

Attachments

• APLR2-FFP-IR-MIL-4-14x44-reticle.png
    APLR2-FFP-IR-MIL-4-14x44-reticle.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for all the input guys! I've been working on reaching out to Savage, Ruger and CZ to see if they can help me out. I guess right now it depends on if one of them comes through for me with a deal where would be able to get a couple rifles.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated!

Well, I stopped at a gunstore today and got a look at the Ruger American RImfire, CZ455, and the Savage. I was blown away how smooth the RAR's bolt cycled. VERY smooth. CZ455 was pretty obviously behind it, with the savage trailing. The quality of the RAR was rather noteworthy.

But I'm still leaning toward CZ since I can get a two stage trigger in it, and it's got the ability to easily change calibers.

Well, I stopped at a gunstore today and got a look at the Ruger American RImfire, CZ455, and the Savage. I was blown away how smooth the RAR's bolt cycled. VERY smooth. CZ455 was pretty obviously behind it, with the savage trailing. The quality of the RAR was rather noteworthy.

But I'm still leaning toward CZ since I can get a two stage trigger in it, and it's got the ability to easily change calibers.

I really want a .22lr to train with and have been shopping for quite some time. Some online personalities I respect speak very highly of the Ruger American. Some don't...however, the CZ gets consistent praise. I recently handled one at a gun shop and really like the weight of the CZ 455 varmint over the American. But, I like the Ruger to...damn decisions.

I really want a .22lr to train with and have been shopping for quite some time. Some online personalities I respect speak very highly of the Ruger American. Some don't...however, the CZ gets consistent praise. I recently handled one at a gun shop and really like the weight of the CZ 455 varmint over the American. But, I like the Ruger to...damn decisions.

Yeah, I think I'm pretty well set on that CZ. As you said, I've never heard anyone really have anything bad to say about it.