• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 22 trainer scope

stork23raz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2010
east Tennessee
I’m looking for a scope for 22 trainer. Prob $3-400. Right now my top choice is the diamondback ffp 4-16 with mil reticle since I think that has same reticle as my razor ii.
But I’m open to other options. I also just seen the cabelas covenant5. It looks interesting.
I got a SS10x, but it’s an old one when they were still 1/4 moa with mildot

While looking at different scopes, consider the distances you’ll be shooting and whether the scope you choose has the ability to parallax down to the short yardage. Many of us shoot at 25 yards, sometimes less, and this puts a limiter on the scope options. On the lower end, IIRC, the new Vortex Diamondback Tactical is FFP, has a good tree reticle and will parallax down to 10 yards. All for under $400. I’ve not used one so I can’t offer an opinion on glass quality but the rest of the scope has what you’d want.

I've had very good performance out of the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50. There's a dozen or so among'st my friends and I with no functional problems. It too focuses down to 10Y and has plenty of travel for long range.

I have this silly friend that hates noise so he doesn't shoot long range much. He'll get out his rifle once in a great while, dial the mentioned scope to whatever distance and do a first round hit on a calm day, then put it up, lol. Drives me crazy he won't shoot LR more, lol.

I've won my division in FT air rifle for the last 3 years with this mentioned scope. They work!

Now if Athlon would just put a proper .2 mil reticle in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I've had very good performance out of the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50. There's a dozen or so among'st my friends and I with no functional problems. It too focuses down to 10Y and has plenty of travel for long range.

I've heard good things about the Athlons as well but have heard complaints about the turrets; too mushy for some, OK for others. Still...falls within your budget and worth looking into.

I've heard good things about the Athlons as well but have heard complaints about the turrets; too mushy for some, OK for others. Still...falls within your budget and worth looking into.

They have been getting the turrets better as time has gone by, the last few were decent for a $369 scope. I chalk this up to the "no perfect scope" philosophy. In other words I can take any scope at any price and can find fault with it.

For instance I have read of complaints with the glass in the new VD, breakages, and a pet peeve of mine is the reticle has the line numbers just off the vertical stadia which tend to get in the way when holding over. If it has decent turret feel I couldn't say. It's also a inexpensive scope so we really can't complain too much.

The main thing for me is reliability which the Argos BTR has been satisfactory in.

I can't give any recommendations on a particular scope, but I'd highly recommended something that has parallax adjustments down to 25yards (or there about).
I have a Leupold VX5 on my 22lr which is a fantastic scope, but the parallax only adjusts down to 50yards. It can be quite annoying when trying to shoot tiny targets at close range, or even just dry fire practice even at 40yards.
You can get around it buy turning the magnification down, but would be far better to get something that has that much adjustment.

Reactions: Stickshift
Athlon Midas TAC all the way

Fantastic scope but quite a bit out of the OP's stated budget range of $300-400. However if you can source them for that price, do tell, as I'd buy a few. This probably my next scope purchase when Tikka TX1's start having more options available for barrel length.

I'm not a fan of Vortex's lower tier lines of scopes, seen too many have to use the lifetime warranty for various problems. OP's implied requirement of having FFP limits things a lot and he hasn't given a set of goals for the scope other than .22lr. Minimum/maximum range and type of use would greatly help this selection process

Right now scope will go on a 10/22 I'm putting together. Eventually it still be moved to a CZ most likely.
Range: as close as parallax will allow 25 or less yards be nice out to as much elevation as I can get out of a scope. At least 200 yards 300+ would be nice I had enough adjustment.
FFP mil

Does anyone have experience with the cabelas convent5 ffp?

I think my options are the
Diamondback FFP
Athlon Argos
Cabela's Covenant.

Im kinda wondering if there is really all that much difference in the quality at that price point. MY main concern is the reticle and the tracking. decent glass would be nice, but I briefly owned Vortex diamondback rimfire and didn't like it for the glass reason. I really don't expect any of theme to have useful glass above12-15x

Last edited:
Have you considered a swfa 10x or 16x?

I have a swfa 10x, its a good scope, main problem is its the old style MIL dot reticle, and MOA turrets. That will be what I put on there till I decide exactly what I want. I don't really want or need another one just to get mil/mil. I don't like their turret design enough to buy another one. They are great values other than the turrets issues.

I bought a PST Gen2 5-25 for my trainer for whatever that's worth. Before that I had a Millett. I think you'd be better off saving up another month and getting something you wouldn't mind putting on another rifle in the future.

Either a Athlon Argos BTR or a Vortex Diamondback FFP will be your best bet in that price range. The Athlon gives you more scope for the money and Doug at Cameraland will take care of you. The issue with the Vortex right now is they are on backorder about everywhere. As for the turrets on the Athlon I have been told if you pull the turrets off and clean some of the grease off the clicks are more audiable. I also believe the Argos comes with a shim set up to create a stop. Not a true zero stop but better than nothing which is what the Vortex comes with. I also believe the Athlon comes with flip caps and a sun shade. I bought mine a long time ago so I don’t know if this is still the case though.