• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.22 WMR for woodchucks?

Re: .22 WMR for woodchucks?

For a clean humane kill I'd be conservative and limit yourself to a maximum of 150-175yds. I'm sure a good .22Mag <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">could</span></span> reach out and kill a chuck in the 225-250yds range and likely beyond. However a lot of factors come into play at those longer ranges including your shooting abilities, rifle and scope. You didn't specify what rifle or scope you were using. Out of curiosity what is your rig?

I just recently put a 4-12x on a Win 61 Mag for my 73 year old Father to thin the woodchuck heard with. He was having too much trouble using the open sights. He has taken a few in the 150yds range.

I have killed one personally over 160 yards. I usually try to limit my shots to under a hundred yards and break out the 223 for the longer pokes.

Got to agree with the 100 yard mark. Chucks are pretty tough and if he's close to his hole you may not get him.
I killed one at about 125 yards with a 22 short. PURE luck on my part and bad luck on his

i use a .22 mag for everything up to turkey / coyote, and have lots of experience with the .22 mag for hunting.

for woodchucks using the 30 gr. vmax, depending on factors such as your ability, the rifles accuraccy, wind, yadda yadda, 150 yards wuld be about the average maximum ethical distance. the round is explosive enough to put them down even on an "off" shot. i've put them down farther out, but also have had them absorb the shot and limp on. not good, so now 150 is my max, and try my best to keep it to 125 or closer with the vmax. plus it's alot more fun to stalk 'em to within that distance. with 40 gr FMJ, 40 hollowpoints, or gamepoints, i feel comfortable a little farther out to restricting myself to 150, 175 max. just due to the better penetration you get from them loads.

while on the subject of 30 gr vmax:

squirrels - must take head shot or meat is destroyed. better off with a 40 gr hollow or gamepoint, or FMJ if your rifle will shoot them well. i use the 30gr for them and used to use the 34 gr winc. supremes, but again headshots or you end up with a pile of fur ridden squirrel burger and bone shrapnel.
22MAGSQUIRRELHEADSHOTSJPG.jpg

22MAG30GRHORNHEADSHOTjpg.jpg

22MAG01-16-2010JPG.jpg

22MAG6SQUIRRELSOCT2320102JPG.jpg

01-17-20116SQUIRREL.jpg

rabbits, hares - same as the squirrel
22_rabbit_2_-_CopyJPG-2.jpg

grouse - same as the squirrel
22MAGANDGROUSE10-16-2010-WORDEDJPG.jpg

turkey - use FMJ or game points, the hollow points and vmax are also a bit destructive on them, and do not provide enough penetration through the feathers to get to the vitals - good place to aim is the wing pocket, spine, or base of neck where it flares into the body. 100yds avg, 125 yds max
TURKEYFALL2010HAT2-WORDED-Copy.jpg

raccoon sized game and coyote - unless planning on taking them at short range, FMJ or gamepoints for the same reasons as turkey. 100 yds or less, 125 max.

hogs - no experience with them.

crows - any ammo that is accurate, unless eating them, refer to turkey. out to 200 yds. 30 gr vmax or 34 gr. winc. supremes out to 150/175 ish, 40gr FMJ, hollowpoints, or gamepoints out to 200 / 225 ish

but as with any firearm, it does rely on the effectiveness of shooter and the equipment they are using VS. the environmental factors of the day. i'll definately shoot at shorter distances if i know the rifle can't be consistantly accurate with a particular ammo out farther, or if wind and other weather restricts the possibility of a high percentage good hit.

I'd say 150-200 depending on your ability to make solid hits at that range. I routinely kill groundhogs out to 125 with my .22 LR...it would seem that the mag should be able to handle another 50 yards, yes?

Personally, I'd put up some targets and see how far out you can make hits reliably in field positions. I'd try any shot that was sub-200, if I knew I could hit the vitals.

-The Kid.