• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

220 swift ackley

eldiablo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2010
Yuma, Co
I'm thinking of getting one of my rifles rebarreled to a 220 swift ackley. Does anybody have any experince with this caliber. There is not alot of info out there on this round. I'm wanting to use the 75 amax.

Re: 220 swift ackley

You wont get much more speed out of the 220AI over the swift but its a bunch easier on Brass.I am getting about 150 fps more veloicty out of the AI over the swift ,I am shooting 69 gr SMKs right at 3600 fps. they are shooters and i think you will enjoy it.

Steve

I've got one on a Sako L579 action that I've wore out 4 barrels with. I shoot light bullets in it(14" twist) Brass lasts forever. IMO its worth the conversion.

After owning/shooting several swifts over the years, I finally had Darrell Holland barrel/chamber a Rem700/PacnorSuperMatch for 22-250AI. It's a ballistic twin to the swift, but has no problems with brass lengthening, case extraction, etc.

But, I still have one swift left and am seriously thinking like you, to have chambered for an improved 220 swift, probably as an AI with a 40 degree shoulder. Expect at least some increase in velocity (a small percentage) the best thing is much improved brass life.

The Arrow and the Rocket were improved versions many years ago, but an Ackley Imp may be the best way to do it.

After owning/shooting several swifts over the years, I finally had Darrell Holland barrel/chamber a Rem700/PacnorSuperMatch for 22-250AI. It's a ballistic twin to the swift, but has no problems with brass lengthening, case extraction, etc.

But, I still have one swift left and am seriously thinking like you, to have chambered for an improved 220 swift, probably as an AI with a 40 degree shoulder. Expect at least some increase in velocity (a small percentage) the best thing is much improved brass life.

The Arrow and the Rocket were improved versions many years ago, but an Ackley Imp may be the best way to do it.

In my opinion, the shortest barrel length I'd consider is 26, and a 27 sounds so good to me that I may get a 28.

If you are going to do it, get a fast twist barrel. The 70's probably won't reliably stabilize in the standard twist (14").

Yeah I'm going to get an 8 twist barrel. Is there an advantage using the 220 swift a.i. over the 22-250 a.i.?

If you go with an 8 twist, you'll exceed the maximum rpms for the 75 grain amax jackets.

I just built a 9 twist and can get the amax to blow up. My only regret is not going ai. The swift sucks on brass.

I have an 8 twist on my .224 TTH. I've been using 75 amax's at 3550 f\s. I have never had a problem with the jackets.

I had one with the factory tube it loved the 55 grn dog town bullets over h 414. I was getting 4018 fps ans .25 groups brass was much nicer improved to.

if you do get one drop me a line i have dies and a bunch of brass my rifle went down the road so i would cut you a deal and from yuma to Ogallala isnt far.

John

I was on a ranch in Volberg Montana in 1984, and they had me shooting prairie dogs with a Win70 220 Swift.

The rancher said he got beat at the turkey shoot by a bull barreled Swift.

That is just about the last I heard of them until this thread.