• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

220 swift build

Dusktilldawn84

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2021
Iowa
Hi all,
Long time looker first time poster. I’m in the early stages of gathering info on a 220 swift build, problem is I don’t know much about it or rifle builds I’ve always wanted one. Growing up hunting all the old timers which have mostly passed on used to fill my ears with story’s of walking fresh coyotes tracks in the snow hoping to catch up to the Wiley coyote with 220 swift in hand. For years and years I’ve wanted one but have never liked or felt the factory offerings fit my needs. I own quite a few guns (mostly varmint calibers) and would like to add a 220 swift to the collection. I’ve searched several forums looking for info but decided it would probably be easier to make my own post and ask the experts.

The build:

My goal is a gun on the lighter side capable of putting coyotes down out to 300-400 yards.

In my mind I want tikka action, fluted steel or carbon 18” barrel.
That being said I had a few questions on those possibilities and performance.

Receiver:

Im assuming first step would be finding a donor short action tikka rifle. I own 9 or 10 tikkas already but not willing to part with those at the moment unless I have trouble finding something in this crises we are currently going through.

In my searching I’ve read a lot about ‘bolt face’, is this something that will need to be changed depending on caliber donor gun I purchase?

Barrel:

Im aware of short lived barrel life on the 220 swift and this rifle is simply based on a want not necessarily a need.

I was looking into an 18” barrel thinking that by the time I put a suppressor on it it won’t be too long for my liking. How much performance do you believe I will be giving up with the shorter barrel? Is this just stupid thinking? I’ll mainly use it as a varmint calling gun and want it to handle easy. Next question would be twist. After researching I’ve landed on 1:10 but would like your opinions. I plan on shooting 45-55gr bullets.

Again this is my first attempt at a rifle build so I apologize if any of this comes off as no brainer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

My first Swift was a Model 77 with a varmit 26" barrel sold it when I was in college much to my regrets. Current Swift is a No.1V which was rebarreled about a 2 years ago by the late Robert Gradous with a 26" Krieger 1:12 varmint profile. As mentioned above an 18" bbl will not the permit the cartridge to reach its full potential. Also lighter profiles do not dissipate heat as well as heavier profiles and that round generates lots of it. For the 50-55 gr bullets a 1:12 twist is a good choice.

One consideration that immediately jumps out at me is the semi-rimmed case and how that might feed in their magazine.

The plus of the Tikka is you have plenty of room in the magazine.

I understand the nostalgia of the 220 swift cartridge but building it into a short Tikka wouldn't personally scratch that itch- now a Ruger #1 as mentioned above.... all freakin day!!

If you want a short handy yote rifle I would build a 22cm on one of those Tikkas and let er rip!

Growing up groundhog hunting was my weekend. I always liked the Swift and when time came for me to buy my own rifle, rather than use my fathers, the 220 Swift had lost popularity and had been kind of eclipsed by the 22/250. I spent a few weeks pondering the decision and not being a reloader in my youth, the choice became clear to me, and I went for a 22/250. In my mind factory available ammunition available in an abundance of flavors for the 22/250 was a deciding factor. And still today I don’t think the 22/250 has been beat in the field for ground hog shooting/or whenever a laser flat trajectory to 450 yards is needed. The Swift pretty much was put to death by this cartridge imo. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses. I own several 22-250s and is my preferred caliber now. I’ve just always had something for wanting a swift and lately have got a bit of the custom build bug so thought I’d throw it out there and get more knowledgeable opinions. I did have concerns about 18” barrel being too short and you guys seemed to have confirmed that. 22 CM has peaked my interest but ammo availability concerns me a little. I’m not into reloading yet but have dabbled with it and the way things are going looks like I better get it figured out. Thanks again guys

Reactions: duckhunter175
Thanks for all the responses. I own several 22-250s and is my preferred caliber now. I’ve just always had something for wanting a swift and lately have got a bit of the custom build bug so thought I’d throw it out there and get more knowledgeable opinions. I did have concerns about 18” barrel being too short and you guys seemed to have confirmed that. 22 CM has peaked my interest but ammo availability concerns me a little. I’m not into reloading yet but have dabbled with it and the way things are going looks like I better get it figured out. Thanks again guys

I went through the same 'bug' if you will after moving to Texas with the abundance of predators, hogs and varmints here-- I was talked out of the Swift so I built a Rem 700VS 'clone' -- left handed and in 22-250ai as I too was worried about ammo abundance but I do reload, albeit on a single stage press with pretty basic equipment. Fireforming was a PITA so I had it rebuilt as a 22cm that I absolutely love-- and I cut the barrel back to 20" from 26" and critters haven't noticed a difference!!

Reactions: Dusktilldawn84