• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 220 SWIFT QUESTION

Re: 220 SWIFT QUESTION

About a hundred more than a .22-250. Just remember that those original velocities were with a light 39 grain bullet. Before modern chronographs, may I add. Modern powders can boost what the original powders produced. Only real problem is the more severe taper of the cartridge case that allows more stretching and which requires more frequent trimming, shortening case life. Which is why the original Ackley Improved type chamber was devised. Care with neck sizing when you can, and a body die to only bump the shoulder as necessary will help. JMHO

Just curious what you just got and what bullets do you want to shoot in it?

Will you be using the Swift to shoot coyotes?? Here in MT it's legal to shoot big game with the 22 centerfire. 60 Hdy sp works fine for deer and antelope; shot placement (accuracy) and not going for one in the next county. Bal Tip, Vmax work great on coyotes. A lot of powder to burn for a prairie dog. What twist is the barrel?? What weight bullet will your be using??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wycowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do most of you guys get for muzzle velocity out of a 220SWIFT? I just bought one and was wondering where i should be. </div></div>

I like the 50gr V-Max at 4000fps in a 24" Swift ala '15,assuming the ubiquitous 14" RPM.

Using varget and nosler 80 grainers I get some stiff bolt lift at 3440 in a 9 twist. Varget is not optimum for the case. I can push the 75 gr Amax faster than hornady recommeds for my twist.

37.1 grains IMR 4064, CCI-200 under Sierra's 55 grain HPBT gets me 3675-3730fps in a Ruger # 1 with 26" 14 twist barrel.

I've taken a lot of coyotes and a couple of fox out to 400 with this load. Beyond 400 wind gets to be tough for me.

I know I could get another 100-150fps but this one is easy on the barrel and gets the job done.