• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 1/7.7 twist 24'' barrel bolt gun loads IDEAS ??? Help

MarcoPolo

Surewhynot
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2012
TX
just had a 1-7.7 twist 24'' bartlein barrel installed on my r700 .223 bolt action rifle. does anyone have experience with this set up when it comes to loads? i am needing ideas where to start my loads . I will be using Lapua Brass and 80grain bergers along with Varget powder. any help ideas etc etc will be greatly appreciated . thx

I know its a bit different but I did some test (I'm not done yet) in my ar, 16.1 barrel 1-7 twist with 77 gr fiocchi match ammo and some 65 gr sierra bullet I had on hand and the 65 gr were better at 100 yards.
mepa3u9a.jpg
nerugada.jpg
ne8u4eza.jpg
tusa7epy.jpg
e7yza7eg.jpg

So yes with your twist rate its supposed to like heavy bullets but do not discount lighter one until you try a few.

I am getting from friends several different bullet weight (about 20 of each ) so I can try and confirm what my rifle likes better.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

There is lots and lots of data available. Try 24-24.5g RL15, REM 7 1/2, seat BERGERs .02 off and .02 INTO lands and see what happens.

I use PPU brass (LC is OK, too), BR-4 primers, HDY 75gr HPBTM at 2.260" OAL, and 23.7gr of Varget in my 24" 1:9"(?) Savage 11VT 223. Tiny accurate at 100yd, relatively competitive FV250 F T/R accurate at 250yd.

This load also works well in my Stag Model 6 24" 1:8" Super Varminter, my CMMG 16 Bull Wasp, and my Mossberg MVP Predator.

Greg

Last edited:
MarcoPolo,

Quick question for you here first; what's the chamber? We know it's a 223, but what reamer? A standard 223 is going to be a problem for you, in that you're not going to get the full use out of the 80-82 grain bullet that the rifling will stabilize. I'd have suggested (and hopefully, this is what you have) a Wylde chamber, which is what the vast majority of competitive Service Rifle shooters are using. The difference is primarily in the throat length and leade angle, but this will allow these longer bullets to be seated out to around 2.440"-2.450", and give you a bit more case capacity. As far as the twist goes, you've got it nailed, and the 7.7" will work just fine for anything short of the 90s. Varget, N540 or RL15, and you're set to go to the range.

If you're short on chamber length, try Hodgdon H322 and the Berger 80.5 gr, which has the shortest bearing surface of the Berger 80-something grain offerings. I'm using 22.5 gr behind the 80.5, .015" off the lands. This load is running 2860 fps out of a 7-twist 26" barreled GAP bolt gun that has zero freebore, so the bullet is definitely seated much deeper than would be optimal. However, the H322 is extremely fine-grained and fairly fast burning, so it meters like a dream and works very well for this setup. My brass life may suffer a bit over the long run due to the seating depth, but the load is extremely accurate and not at all overpressure as it would be using something like Varget or H4895 to achieve that velocity. I shoot this rifle/load in F-TR midrange comps, so I single feed only, but it might actually be short enough for mag length as well, I honestly can't recall. If you have a little more room in your cases, H4895 or Varget ought to work just fine.

i ran 24.1 of reloader 15 and 23.6 of varget with 77 smks. the rl15 shot 2900 in my lc11 brass and 2950 in my lc10 the varget load run 2870 i think. both are max loads so work up to them. it is a rem 700 xcr lr 26"

I use:
25.2 gr. Varget
Lapua case
wolf small rifle magnum primers
80 gr. hornady amax
2.520 coal ( .015 jam into the lands )
shoots sub half moa out of my Rem. 700 with a 20.5" Rock Creek 1/8 twist.
Avg. velocity 2825 fps.