• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 1-8 twist question

Re: 223 1-8 twist question

From Shilen
.224 CF
- 7" for bullets heavier than 70gr.
- 8" for bullets heavier than 70gr.
- 8"* Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 9" for bullets up to 70gr.
- 12: for bullets up to 63gr.
- 14" for bullets up to 55gr.
- 14"* Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 15"* for bullets up to 55gr. driven 4,100 pfs or more
- 16:* for bullets up to 55gr. driven 4,300 fps or more

I shoot 80, haven't tried heavier.

I have been able to stabilize 75 gr. Amax bullets in my 1:9" twist 20" barrel. It really depends on the gun and the load. You should be able to get up to 80 grain bullets to stabilize with 1:8 twist. The only way to really find out with your gun is to test some heavy bullets and find out the limits of your setup. Good luck.

its a 20" 4 groove 1-8 McGowan (219,224)barrel blank, as soon as i get some extra cash, its gonna go on my rem 700 223

does anyone have a good load for 80's with varget, benchmark or imr8208?

I would say that you would be close to maximum with 24 gr. Varget. Maybe start at around 21.5 grains and work up.

The Army gives their DMs a 1:8 and 77-gr Black Hills ammo.

Sierra say their 80gr HPBT Matchkings are for 7-8" twist. Then they say the 90gr HPBT are for 6.5" twist. So Ii guess between 80 and 90 would be your max. Also says the 80 gr Matchkings should be loaded very long. They won't fit in a mag and have to be inserted one at a time. If your on a AR it's a big deal like, but not so much on a bolt. I have a box of Sierra 80gr I need to get rid of btw.

I'm shooting Nosler 80 gr. comps. and 75 gr Amax in Hart and Brux 1:8 with no problems at all. But neither could handle a 90 grain JLK though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how heavy of a 223 bullet can i throw with a 1-8 twist? </div></div>

Hey if your shooting less than 200 yards and need a cheap sight in or plink round. Try PMC 55gr FMJ-BT. I've sighted my AR witha 24" 1-8" twist in with them and they are extremely accurate around that range. I shot a 100 yard that was two staggered and the third almost in the same hole. If I remember correctly around $8 a box, not military crimped and hold up decent.

Stick with the 75 and 77 grain bullets. The 80s were originally intended for the 600 yard line in HP matches for those using AR15s that were loaded singularly (during slow prone) and seated beyond mag limilations.

Unless you long throat the the .223 chamber so you can seat the bullet further out, you will gain little advantage.

I use 77 grain SMK in an 8 twist AR and it stablizes well to 600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 77 grain SMK in an 8 twist AR and it stablizes well to 600 yards. </div></div>

What powder and primers are you using. I have a 1-8" AR looking to start reloading a lot. I have 80gr SHPBT but don't want to have to handload them. I looked at AMAX's but I kinda want to stick with Sierra.

I am using Win cases, Russian primers, (Wolf) and 23.9 grs Ramshot TAC with the 77 SMK seated to mag function length. I had one AR that did not shoot this load well. but it was generally very pickey and went down the road.

I would say it will shoot 80gr weights for a true 1:8 <span style="text-decoration: line-through">but when the temps get low if your close to sea level groups will start opening up</span>.

I misunderstood the barrel you were talking about (was thinking factory barrel), you are gtg for 80 grain weights, I have shot 80 AMAX @ 1000 ASL @ 5 degrees no problems.

has anyone gotten 1-7 to shoot 55's. Just order a new barrel 1-7 to shoot 80 amax but still want to shoot some 55's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: couesnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">has anyone gotten 1-7 to shoot 55's. Just order a new barrel 1-7 to shoot 80 amax but still want to shoot some 55's.</div></div>

I have 1-8" and bought some rem 45gr HP just to have the brass because they were on sale dirt cheap. At 100 yards they either didn't hit the target or was all over the place. 55gr is my lowest.

Your 1 in 8 barrel will handle up to the Berger 82 with no temp or altitude problems. They must be single loaded though. The next jump in .223 bullet weight is the 90 gr. bullets, your barrel will not shoot them well. It should shoot all of the lighter bullets very well.