• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 & .243 What powder?

billy.the.kid43

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
I'm sure this kind of thing comes up a lot so bear with me.

Currently I am loading .243 win with 95 gr. Berger VLD on top of 34.5 gr. IMR 4064. I am getting great results but the IMR 4064 meters very poorly.

I am loading .223 Rem with a 69 gr SMK on top of 25 gr. RL-15 and have fantastic results. I have no complaints as far
as accuracy which is my main goal. However, I've been hearing good things about Varget.

So here is the question. I would like to know if there is a powder out there that I can do both cartridges with, meters well and maintains my accuracy without depleting my velocity? I know that Varget will get the job done in both cartridges and, from what I've been reading, has good accuracy. Does it meter as well or better then RL-15? Is there another powder I should be looking at that may give me all the things I am looking for in a powder or should I just stick with what works?

Thanks in advance for any help you give me in this decision.

cool.gif

Re: .223 & .243 What powder?

I don't use reloder powder...but I use a lot of varget. Varget meters pretty decent and has a very wide span of use. I say open up one your your manuals and compare the two in velocity and pressure. I have nothing bad to say about varget.

Why not try RL15 in 243?

RL15 was first used in 308 and it does a great job in that caliber. I use it for my 6.5x47mm Lapua and for my 223 Rem with good results. I plan on using it in 6.5Grendel once I start reloading there.

BLC2, a ball powder, might also be something useful for you. It does a great job in 223Rem and meters great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not try RL15 in 243?

RL15 was first used in 308 and it does a great job in that caliber.</div></div>

I used to use RL15 in my 308 when I had it but there is little to no reloading data to be found for using RL15 in a 243 win.

If you have data for the 243 win using RL15 and a 100 or 95 gr bullet, I'd be very happy if you sent it to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billy.the.Kid43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you have data for the 243 win using RL15 and a 100 or 95 gr bullet, I'd be very happy if you sent it to me. </div></div>

Billy-
Here is the data from Alliant on RL15 in 243 Win. Note that this is their data; I have not shot it (I don't own a 6mm anything).

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/R...06&bdid=824

Centerfire Rifle
243 Winchester
•Speer 100 gr BTSP
•Reloder 15
•Fed 210

Case: Winchester
Minimum OAL(inches): 2.625
Bbl Length: 24
Primer: Fed 210
Powder Charge Weight(grains): Reloder 15 34
Velocity (fps): 2,691

Wow thats super slow.

I have used 4831, RL17, and 4350.

I like the 4831 for my hunting round with the speer 100btsp.

RL17 was launching the 105vld around 3250 and pretty accurate

The 4350 needs a little more developing but it has seemed to be ok so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget + 243 = yes it will go bang.

Beyond that, it is a pretty poor powder for the 243. </div></div>

Any suggestions then??

The reloading manuals have plenty.

If you are willing to sacrifice significant velocity in both or one of the two chamberings, then sure you can run the same powder for both chamberings.

If running one powder is your guiding principle in this quest, then you can run about everything between AA2230 and RL22 burn-rate wise and you will have accomplished your goal.

Otherwise, two powders are in order for these quite differently behaving chamberings.

I have been getting 1/4 MOA with my 243 using Varget and Berger 80 & 88 bullets. I didn't expect this good of results, but figured I'd try it while waiting on some H4350.

I get 3200 fps out of 75gr A-max with ramshot big game from a 26" barrel in 223, but I seat my bullets long and get more powder in. I have zero pressure signs in LC brass. Depending on barrel length and firearm design you may be able to get away with this if you are willing to go to heavier bullets. There is lots of data out there for big game and the 243. It meters like silt.