• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223/5.56 77gr precision loads - to crimp or not to crimp?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Loading for my Mk12Mod1 with 77gr projectiles. Nothing out of the ordinary with the round, 2.26 OAL and I use Redding S type dies to give it a little extra/uniform neck tension at .244 for this specific combo.

Question is, I crimp my run of the mill 55gr rounds that go into my carbines and that die is in a different toolhead. So either I need to get another die if I should crimp these or leave it alone as these are geared towards precision but will be fired out of a 20 round magazine, magazine fed and on semi auto.

ETA - projectiles do not have a cannelure

If you have enough next tension you don't need to crimp. You just have to figure out how much neck tension you need to negate crimping

No crimp!!

Loading for my Mk12Mod1 with 77gr projectiles. Nothing out of the ordinary with the round, 2.26 OAL and I use Redding S type dies to give it a little extra/uniform neck tension at .244 for this specific combo.

Question is, I crimp my run of the mill 55gr rounds that go into my carbines and that die is in a different toolhead. So either I need to get another die if I should crimp these or leave it alone as these are geared towards precision but will be fired out of a 20 round magazine, magazine fed and on semi auto.

ETA - projectiles do not have a cannelure

No crimp or a very light crimp with a Lee collet.
    I personally don't crimp and run .003 of tension for my 75/77/8208XBR AR loads and never have any issues.

No crimp or a very light crimp with a Lee collet.
    I personally don't crimp and run .003 of tension for my 75/77/8208XBR AR loads and never have any issues.

I'm running .002 with the Redding bushing.

Looks like I'll run them without a crimp.

Thanks guys.

Good call. I don't crimp for my NMA2's.

Steel Head what powder weight are you running? I'm getting ready to workup 8208, shifting from Varget (loading on T7)to progressive loading 8208 in a 650.

I have seen a crimp help and I have seen it hurt. If what you are doing is not shooting for you, try a crimp.

Just to add another data point...

I crimp my 55gr stuff.

I do not crimp my 'precision' loads. I shoot several different bullets but do not crimp any of them. I'm also running .002 - .003 neck tension / interference fit :)

No problems so far but as you mention, I'm also using 20rnd mags.

I use a Lee factory crimp die and it's set for a very light neck squeeze. The collets don't touch each other and you cant see any noticeable markings on the neck. It tightened up my groupings a tad. I don't touch it and run all my ammo the same way.

Depends on your goals. I actually kind of like crimping - for some ammo. For what it's worth, when I shoot reduced 200 yard high power matches, I use Hornady 55 gr ball projectiles, and I crimp with Lee FCD. Shoot good to me - I shot a 488/500 last week, with only three 9's on the reduced slow prone - and doubt it was the ammo. Will it make the difference between an X and a 10? Not sure - maybe.

But that's at 200 yards, so not all that serious anyway.

For my 600 yard loads, I don't crimp, but am testing the Redding bushing die, which basically pre-tensions the entire neck. I was able to get a 1/2MOA group at 200 yards with 80gr SMK's doing that. For those bullets, crimping probably isn't the best idea.

In short - if it has a cannular - crimp. If it doesn't - probably shouldn't most of the time.

At least, that's just my opinion. But I'm still learning: only Expert class and not Distinguished (yet!)