• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 - 5.56

So far the consensus is that 8208 works out of an AR with 77gr. What’s the difference loading for an AR vs bolt gun? Why does it shoot better in an AR vs bolt gun?

88's right at 2700 and 85.5's about 50fps faster
This is the same proof prefit you’ve been using throughout your posts in this thread?
What are you COALs for each of the bullets?
You seem to be getting pretty quick speeds considering you have a pretty short free bore.

Has this rifle ”officially” moved from being a trainer to match rifle?
Im about to build a 223Al trainer which I’m somewhat hoping will be my main rifle for comps inside of 700yards.

This is the same proof prefit you’ve been using throughout your posts in this thread?
What are you COALs for each of the bullets?
You seem to be getting pretty quick speeds considering you have a pretty short free bore.

Has this rifle ”officially” moved from being a trainer to match rifle?
Im about to build a 223Al trainer which I’m somewhat hoping will be my main rifle for comps inside of 700yards.
I'll have to check my notes later for COAL to the lands. Currently I am seating them to 2.490" as feeding can become questionable if I get much closer to 2.5" in a couple of my older AI mags.

As for this rifle moving to a match rifle, sort of. I have a couple ranges nearby that host regional matches and the property limits them to less than 600 yards. So if I am shooting at those this 223 is the better option, in my opinion, due to how little it recoils. I can quite literally watch the trace go all the way into the target at times and the 88's and 85.5's don't give up much to my 6gt inside those distances.

Reactions: beetroot
Anyone tried running the Hornady 75 A max at AR Mag length.

I haven't. The 75's are a loooong bullet.

However the 73 ELD's were designed I beleive to function through mags at 2.26 ish

Yes , they are L O N G, just seated one to mag. length and about .435"of the bullet is below the case .neck junction. I'd load them long and single shot them in an AR. But that's a PITA with the charging handle in the rear. I've got a 22 BR , I'll use them there.

Reactions: leatherman
Too hot or ok? Finger nail doesn't catch on the spot where the firing pin hits.

Attachments

• 20240323_145423.jpg
    20240323_145423.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 57
Too hot or ok? Finger nail doesn't catch on the spot where the firing pin hits.

What primer and action? Looks like you are getting flow back up into the firing pin hole. The edges look nice and round so I wouldn't worry about pressure.

Reactions: diggler1833
What primer and action? Looks like you are getting flow back up into the firing pin hole. The edges look nice and round so I wouldn't worry about pressure.
Cci 450 with a Tikka. Here is .5gr less powder.

Attachments

• 20240323_150444.jpg
    20240323_150444.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 52
Yeah looks like some primer flow but not a big deal.
I have heard sometimes it looks a little worse than it is with Tikkas but I am not sure. Need to go shoot something loaded close to factory power with those primers and see how it looks.

When I get half a grain past the charge in the first pic primers get flat and the flow is pronounced enough to catch your nail on.

Reactions: Dolomite and Rob01
And you seat the 85's to function in an AR Mag.?
Yes.no biggie with 2520 .did some testing with vv140 an 150 . Could hear the crunch when seating bullet to mag . even put a dent in the bullet.anyway I won't likely be using vv140 or vv150 .vv540 should be here in a few days

Does anyone know if Hornady sells the 73 gr FTX projectiles for loading? I can't seem to find any but can find their loaded ammo available.

I have some 80 smk loaded with 24.5g of varget and 77 smk with 24g of varget to try. Pretty classic service rifle loads so I'm hoping for good results. Anyone measure 80 smk to the lands in their wylde chamber? I'm right at 2.500" which seems longer than most people. Not really a big deal, more room for powder just curious.

Reactions: kyotekiller25
I have some 80 smk loaded with 24.5g of varget and 77 smk with 24g of varget to try. Pretty classic service rifle loads so I'm hoping for good results. Anyone measure 80 smk to the lands in their wylde chamber? I'm right at 2.500" which seems longer than most people. Not really a big deal, more room for powder just curious.
AR or Bolt?

Wylde chambered bolt gun.
Sounds about right. Maybe a touch long for the standard Wylde chamber.

I had mine chambered to hit the lands with an 80g ELDM at 2.510" with I want to say .080" freebore. So not your standard Wylde chamber, but close enough anyway.

Reactions: Dolomite
Sounds about right. Maybe a touch long for the standard Wylde chamber.

I had mine chambered to hit the lands with an 80g ELDM at 2.510" with I want to say .080" freebore. So not your standard Wylde chamber, but close enough anyway.
I could contact the Smith and probably get the reamer print. I don't see why it wouldn't be a true wylde. Doesn't really matter either way, I was just curious why mine is longer than most seem to report.

Guys who are shooting the Berger 80.5's Fullbore... what kind of speeds do you like?

Normally I shoot them over 23.7g of Varget to the range of 2820 FPS.
Today was a bit windy but I wound them up to 2970 FPS over 24.9g of Varget.
I only shoot 200Y but the load shot promising.

I could contact the Smith and probably get the reamer print. I don't see why it wouldn't be a true wylde. Doesn't really matter either way, I was just curious why mine is longer than most seem to report.
Interesting I thought the wylde freebore was .025. I have an .080 freebore and seat the 80 SMK out to 2.52 at touch.

Sorry I have a regular 223 chamber but my seating depth is close to yours. @padom thanks for the update!!

What is the best powder for good ES/SD and temp stability that will push the 75-85 class bullets and meter well from the Dillion Powder thrower.

I know this is a tall order, but I want to set a 750 up just for 223 practice/local match loads.

8202 is impossible to find.

N140?
Benchmark?

I've heard TAC is a great powder for metering/accuracy/velocity. But I also hear mixed reviews on the temp stable part.

Benchmark wouldn't be a bad choice. It meters well and is temp insensitive. Should get decent accuracy/velocity also.

Not sure on N140, but ya cant go wromg with Vihtavouri powders either.

I might suggest N540. Been shooting it in my 223 with 75s and getting great velocity/accuracy. I don't throw charges, but I couldn't see it not working decent from a thrower. It's a double base powder but the kernels aren't really big.

What is the best powder for good ES/SD and temp stability that will push the 75-85 class bullets and meter well from the Dillion Powder thrower.

I know this is a tall order, but I want to set a 750 up just for 223 practice/local match loads.

8202 is impossible to find.

N140?
Benchmark?
How fast are you looking to fly?
I just caught the comment about meters well. Varget... well Varget is Varget. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240411_214018_ShotView.jpg
    Screenshot_20240411_214018_ShotView.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 13
I've heard TAC is a great powder for metering/accuracy/velocity. But I also hear mixed reviews on the temp stable part.

Benchmark wouldn't be a bad choice. It meters well and is temp insensitive. Should get decent accuracy/velocity also.

Not sure on N140, but ya cant go wromg with Vihtavouri powders either.

I might suggest N540. Been shooting it in my 223 with 75s and getting great velocity/accuracy. I don't throw charges, but I couldn't see it not working decent from a thrower. It's a double base powder but the kernels aren't really big.
for me TAC was a wast of time and material