• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 - 5.56

Re: Loads for .223- 5.56

Nosler 77s
Win SP
TAC

FC cases - swaged / pockets / FH / trimmed
Mag length
Die set to chamber spec less .002

18" Noveske SS

Chrono 10'
5 rounds only for initial load development
Temp 98 degrees / RH 21.8% /HG 29.7 / DA 4571

Accuracy load = 23.8 grns = 2,640 FPS

23.9 = 2,704 fps

24.0 = 2,729 fps

24.4 = 2,873 fps - blown and pierced primers

Good luck

AR15
16" Kreiger 1-7.7 wylde chamber

WCC (winchester mil-spec) cases
CCI BR-4 primer
24.0 gr VARGET
77SMK
COAL 2.251

Same as above except:

RELOADER 15
23.5 gr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crush Daddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone ever tried 75s with 4895?</div></div>

Nothing makes my barrel sing like IMR-4895 & 75's. 20" DPMS DCM 1/8 barrel on self-built NM service rifle. NOT freefloated.

1xLC09, primer pocket cleaned & de-crimped, fl sized, trimmed to 1.750", chamfered & deburred

CCI400 primer, primed on press

23.0 IMR-4895, thrown & checked every 10

75gr.Hornady BTHP, 2.250" OAL, medium crimp w/Lee Factory. 2650fps.

This load will shoot one hole @ 100yds, hit the 600 yd 12"x12" steel every time if I get the wind correct, and break clays @ 1000 after I get dialed in. Found node originally at 25.5, but it was a bit hot in winter, so I backed it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remy 700 SPS Tac 223 20inch BBL 1 in 9 twist

55gr Vmax
25.7gr Varget
Remington Brass
CCI Primer
Coal 2.20
3 shoot group at 100yd- .593 </div></div>

That seems a bit large of a group for that gun. I have the same gun and with 75 gr. Amax's I have shot several groups smaller than .400". My smallest three shot group at 100 was around .280" out of a completely stock gun.

Here is my worked up load:

Hornady 75 Amax
24.5 gr. Varget
Hornady or Remington Brass
Remington 7-1/2 Bench Rest Primers
O.A.L. 2.425" (About .010" Jammed into the Lands)

I'd think you could get better accuracy out of that gun. I found that the seating depth makes a huge difference. Might try fiddling around with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hueys66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody got some data on 69gr Nosler Custom Comp out of Rem 700 Tactical 20" 1:9? I see some 69 SMK data and was wonder if one was flyin better than the other. I have a fresh box (250) of the Nosler's I would like to use up. </div></div>

I just shot some of those exact bullets out of my remington 700 sps Tactical 20" (1:9") a few days ago. I got my second best groups with those. Here was my basic load:

69 Gr. Nosler Custom Competition
25 gr. Varget
Hornady Brass
remington 7-1/2 br primers
O.A.L. I got great results with them just seated into the lands a few thousandths.

My best group out of that gun, with those bullets, was .296".

Hope this helps

Great info on here..fairly new to forum and loking for some info..

new to the 223 arena..have a bunch of 62 grFMJBT and RL15 powder from other projects..I see the RL 15 listed with heavier bullets but is there any issue with the 62 gr tips?
Will be out of a stock AR Stag 2T..any starting loads
Thanks

Shot at 100yrds not 200.

60gr V-Max
24.7 IMR 4064
New Winchester brass
CCI 400 Primers
2.300 Coal
less than 1/2 Moa. Shot from a stock bedded SPS Tactical 1-9 twist. Sorry no velocities

DSCN0266.jpg

good for plinkin-
62 grain cannelured fmj
25 grains aa2230
lake city case
cci primer
ran 2950fps

better accuracy-
69 grain smk
25 grains h4895
remington case
cci primer
ran 2800fps

both these loads were from a 18" 1 in 9 twist ar

Reactions: Huckleberry75

A little load testing today. Rem sps tactical with hs precision stock, timney trigger, harris bipod, bushnell 10x40md, and a cyclone k. Winchester brass, cci 400, 69smk, 26.0 varget, AR mag length. Paper target 100 yrds. First steel plate at 300 and second at 400 yrds. Holding 1.2mil on the 300yrd and 2.2mil and .75 mil for wind from 3 oclock on the 400yrd target. All 5 shot groups.
target223.jpg

223300.jpg

223400.jpg

I have a Remington SPS 1:9 .223...It LOVES 69 gr Black Hills...I am wanting to make a clone of this round-what powder does Black Hills use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AR15
16" Kreiger 1-7.7 wylde chamber

WCC (winchester mil-spec) cases
CCI BR-4 primer
24.0 gr VARGET
77SMK
COAL 2.251

Same as above except:

RELOADER 15
23.5 gr

</div></div>

Added:

Same rifle as above.

RELOADER 15
FEDERAL 205M match primer
24.0 gr with a 77smk seated to 2.251.

Out of the 16" 1/7.7 Kreiger it chrono'd a 5 shot average 2620 FPS just at sea level. Primers showed little nipple's in the middle of the firing pin, but no piercing so work up to this.

Strangely with the CCI Br4 primers I was seeing more signs of overpressure at 24 gr RE-15 than when using the Federal 205M primers. I didn't crono the 23.5gr/CCI br4/77smk load. Just thought it was strange as CCI primers have thicker cups than the federal primers but the fed primers seem to hold out for .5 gr over the CCI.

anything for a 75gr hornady BTHP match with varget? I saw a load for 25gr but its really compressed.

24.5g Varget gives me about 2,715 fps with the 75 hpbt and shoots about .2 moa. 25g of Varget gives about 2,775 fps and shoots about .7 moa. This is in a Savage bolt 22" barrel with a coal of 2.345" using LC09 brass and Rem 7.5 primer.

1:9 20 inch Stag Arms AR Barrel (HBar type heavy barrel)

25gr TAC

62gr SS109

~.75-1MOA at 100 yards

Aralite upper / bolt carrier, JP Enterprises GI Spec bolt, rifle buffer... shoots great. [Attached to a Rock River Lower]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223- 1/9 Douglas XX

R&P brass
75AMAX kissing the lands
24.0 Grns of BenchMark
Fed205M
2975FPS

R&P brass
75AMAX kissing the lands
23.6 Grns of BenchMark
Fed205M
2930FPS </div></div>

Just want to make sure that these are standard .223 loads and not AI?

I have searched high and low--Still no luck on that powder...I was thinking of putting that 69 gr sierra BTHP on either WW 748 or hogodon blc-2...any input? I am new to reloading, so any ideas or expeirences would be appreciated!

Try 26g of W748 should be around 2,900fps or 27g of BLC(2)for about the same velocity.

Remember to work up to these loads in your own rifle. They are just below max but pretty close. COAL at 2.260 with Rem 7.5 primer. Suggest starting at least a 1.5g lower on each and work up in .2 increments.

thanks-will both of those loads work in an AR style platform as well as a bolt gun? Thanks for the help!

Yes, just remember to start lower, and could have to stop from .2 to.5 lower with either powder, but I shoot them in my Stag AR without problems. Every rifle is a little different as you know. Both powders work well in AR platforms. Remember that since both are ball powders that a good load in cool or cold weather might be too hot in the summer sun, so you might have to drop the load a little in hot weather. Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: tag_heuer

Thanks! Like I said, I'm new to reloading...I have a buddy here at work who's been at it for awhile & he told me that my stress over the powder is not near as important as the bullet weight-So if I get a good powder with the proper bullet, I should be fine--is that true?

Bullet weight selection is really a product of what you want to do and how far away. 50 to 55's shoot pretty good out to 300 on paper and are deadly for varmints in the maxes and blitzes. 69's sort of fill in the 400 to 500 yd category, and then the 75 and 77's at 600. Beyond that and the 80's sort of take over with the fast twist rifles target shooting. 68/69's and 75/77's are usually super accurate target bullets. Some 1 in 9 twists will shoot the 75/77's and some won't. Most 1 in 9's will shoot the 68/69. So I'd say yes he is right. Pick the bullet that will fit your rifle best for it's twist along with your intended use and range and then find a powder that suits the rifle and bullet. You'll do fine. It's better to be cautious and respect what you are doing than careless and foolish.

Thanks for your help-I'm looking forward to getting started-I'm off for the weekend & will get all my gear set up...I'm sure I'll have more questions!

I am thinking of getting me an automated powder dispenser, which one is best? I was thinking of an RCBS (I've had lots of luck with their products in the past...) Anybody have ideas or expeirences with any of these machines?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mhptrooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking of getting me an automated powder dispenser, which one is best? I was thinking of an RCBS (I've had lots of luck with their products in the past...) Anybody have ideas or expeirences with any of these machines? </div></div>

I use the dispenser/scale from PACT. It is good to go imho.

I have seen the PACT, how long have you had it? I am over here in hattiesburg... Thanks for the advice!

Don't think you can go wrong with the RCBS 1500 combo. I believe Natchez or Mid-South has them on sale for $279 and you can get a $50 rebate if you order enough RCBS products to make it $300.

Any opinions on the manual powder dispensers-back when I used to reload i used a Hornady (but it threw charges all over the place) I'd just set it a bit low and trickle in the rest...Are there any manual ones that are spot-on? Thanks for the advice!

I have the Pact and two of the RCBS units. I just threw out the Pact out of fustraion, but it was an older one and d have had to pay to get a new scale and have the trickler upgraded.

So far the RCBS one is great, but the accuracy is +\- .05 grains.z

I use the RCBS Uniflow with the micro-adjust stem. Throws pretty accurately, easy to return to a specific powder setting (if you write it down) and easy to adjust by .05 grains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mhptrooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen the PACT, how long have you had it? I am over here in hattiesburg... Thanks for the advice! </div></div>

I can't remember exactly, but I know that I have had it for at least 6 years. It hasn't given me any trouble or issues at all to date. It makes good ammo
wink.gif

BTW, I'm in Wabo.

I've got:

2 RCBS Chargemasters, I'd call them very good overall. (For extruded powder)

1 Redding Micrometer adjustment 3BR, which is VERY good

2 RCBS Uniflows, one with a micrometer adjustment, and one quite old.

....and I old have an old Lyman power measure. If you want it, it's yours. Send me a PM and I'll drop it off in the mail.

The PACT was not bad, and they did make a version for RCBS. I understand the current Lyman (electronic) ones are good too.

My only issue with the PACT was that the scale died, and it was not worth upgrading ($50.00) and also purchasing a new scale. The RCBS system has a single unit, as opposed to two separate units that use two different power supplies (one AC and one DC).

The downside to the RCBS one is that it's made in China... the upside is that have a great warranty.

GB

how long have you had the RCBS? I thought about getting the chargemaster 1500 (i think that's it) and a manual one-just in case...which manual powder dispenser would you reccomend?

one other thing-will the chargemaster work well with varget powder (i'm not sure what "extruded" means...and powder for a semi-auto pistol (i wanna reload some for my .40) i'm leaning towards getting the chargemaster, even though it's the most expensive-but I want the best loads...

I know waynesboro-I had probably the BEST supervisor I've ever worked for from over there...I've locked up a couple of drunks over that way-right on the Jones County line...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mhptrooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know waynesboro-I had probably the BEST supervisor I've ever worked for from over there...I've locked up a couple of drunks over that way-right on the Jones County line... </div></div>

Do you know Lance T. (J50?)?

It's J51 actually-but yeah...I worked with him...good trooper!

I couldn't remember for sure but I knew I was close, lol!

He's a good friend of mine.

LOBO-do you use the varget in your 223 rounds? I'm trying to clone a black hills round that both my bolt gun & sabre M4 & M16A4 LOVE!! ...69 gr SMK, just wondering on the powder charge--but does it really make THAT much difference? I wanna go ahead & get an 8 lb keg of whatever it is... Thanks man!!

You ever consider RAMSHOT TAC? It meters in a 3BR or Harrel powder measure wonderfully...

...and it shoots alot like Varget... which is extruded and requires the use of somethign like a Charge Master.

Here is what I found on Hodgdons website

<span style="font-weight: bold">69 gr HPBT </span>

Varget 24 grs (<span style="font-weight: bold">start</span>) 2784 fps
26.0C (<span style="color: red"><span style="font-weight: bold">MAX</span></span>) 3010 fps
2.235" coal

Thanks SO much for that!! I'm thinking that's what I'll try...I've been at drill all weekend--OCS (trying to make the big bucks, that's what they tell me) I appreciate the help, I'll be aggrevating y'all again I'm sure...

I found this load VERY accurate. I dont use this powder much so I surprised. Looks like ill be using more of it!

.223Rem/ 5.56 NATO Semi-Auto AR-Platform
18" White Oak Armament Barrel.

<span style="font-weight: bold">77gr. Sierra Match King </span>
Winchester Brass (1.750")
Federal 205M Primer
OAL - 2.255"
Powder Type - <span style="font-weight: bold">AA 2520</span>
Powder Charge - <span style="font-weight: bold">24.0gr.</span>

Other Reloads that shot well that I worked up recently:

<span style="font-weight: bold">52gr. Hornady A-MAX</span>
Winchester Brass
OAL - 2.230"
Powder Type - <span style="font-weight: bold">Win 748</span>
Powder Charge - <span style="font-weight: bold">27.0gr.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">60gr. Hornady V-MAX</span>
Winchester Brass
OAL - 2.230"
Powder Type - <span style="font-weight: bold">Benchmark</span>
Powder Charge - <span style="font-weight: bold">24.6gr.</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">This load shoots very similar to the 60gr. Hornady TAP ammo.</span> Accurate.

<span style="font-weight: bold">75gr. Hornady BTHP Match</span>
Winchester Brass
OAL - 2.255"
Powder Type - <span style="font-weight: bold">VV N-140</span>
Powder Charge - <span style="font-weight: bold">23.0gr</span>.

All of these loads above held under 1" 5 shot groups @ 100yrds. (1.5" avg. @ 200yrds)

Working up some 53gr. Sierra Matchkings and TAC tonight.

nice! I may try some of that...at first, I was thinking of using some 748...
I have what may be a dumb question--does the 223 round use a crimp? I am reading the directions for setting the dies, the only reloading I've ever done was a 30-06, and the dies were already set for me...Thanks in advance!

Some folks believe in crimping and swear it helps their groups especially in AR's. Most are concerned with set-back of the non-crimped bullet when it hits the feed ramps. A more likely scenario I think is set-forward when the breech slams shut, much like what happens with a kinectic bullet puller.

Most bolt-gun users never crimp, and neither do many many AR guys. The crimp that is built into many seating dies is dependent upon every case being the same length and is testy to get just right. Unless the bullet is cannelured this is useless and may be counter-productive.

A much easier crimp to master (also cheap under $10) is the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Easy to set up, and can apply a slight crimp on the brass even without a cannelure on the bullet. I have used it some, and do believe I can see a slight improvement in groups with just a very slight crimp even without the cannelured bullet. I have some rounds loaded to test right now with and without on the 50 v-max, but it is so cold I haven't had a day warm enough to shoot comfortably since I loaded them.

Really probably need to answer these type questions in the regular reloading section and reserve this thread for posting loads and data.

Sorry...I am still learning how to use this site...I will post some questions over there-you just opened up a new can of worms...Thanks for the info though!

Not a problem, we're all in the learning process here and trying to help each other.

A surprising load that I have found is 23.5g of Benchmark with the 75 Hornady hpbt. Shoots very small groups with a 22" barrel Savage, has velocity within 15 fps of Varget, and good ES. I'm using LC 09 brass and Rem 7.5 primers. Caution, work up slowly!

While Benchmark has a faster burn rate than Varget, it is able to approach the same velocity with this bullet in my rifle. Might be really good in 16"-20" barrel AR's. Benchmark is my go to powder for 50g loads giving best accuracy and velocity, so it covers a wide range of bullets, throws pretty well from a Uniflow, and is supposed to be temp insensitive.

Anyone using AA2460? I've been using it with 69's and 77's (same charge weight of 24) and it's working quite well. Doesn't seem to care about brass type either.

edit, have chrono data on 77's:

2.25 COAL, 77 nosler, CCI sr, PMC brass 1.745 trim, barrel = sabre 18" 1:7 CL

23.5=2650 +/- 20fps with one that was 2700something.
24=2710 with similar spread

23.5 is MOA at every range I have shot it at. 2.26 COAL was a little more accurate but didn't feed as well. 2460 seems to load a lot like TAC.

Also if someone has some 60 grain vmax loads they could PM me I would appreciate it I have 2230, 2460, 2520, TAC and Varget to work with.

SS 109 62g pulled projectile 24g of IMR 4895, CCI #41 primer(I think) Remington brass, COAL 2.255"