• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223/556 ‘Yote Recommendations

roosterpig

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
USA
Good afternoon folks. Looking for some recommendations for a ‘yote buster load.

I’ve got a 16” BCM 1:7 (canned) that’s going to be used this fall for yote hunting. I’ve got 100 pieces of starline 223 brass as well as a handful of FP Match AR primers.

My thought was to go a little lighter on a bullet to get some velocity and flat(er) trajectories, but still stay above the 55gr mark due to the barrel being a 1:7 twist.

My first thought is a 60gr VMax over H335. Are there better options to get the ball rolling with? Thoughts on 60gr in a 1:7?

I don’t expect tight tight groups. Minute of Wylie.

Thanks for the tips. Hope everyone is having a great week so far.

Shouldn't have any problems with 60gr in a 7 twist, I've shot as low as 52gr match bullets out of my 7 twists with no issues. I use the 55gr nosler varmageddon with H335 and AA230 as a general use sub-moa varmint round. There's dozens of powders that work well in your application, if you already have H335 I'd absolutely use it.

Question is how much you value the pelt - sometimes things get a little explosive on exit.

I've had good luck with 53vmaxs, accuracy wise.

Shouldn't have any problems with 60gr in a 7 twist, I've shot as low as 52gr match bullets out of my 7 twists with no issues. I use the 55gr nosler varmageddon with H335 and AA230 as a general use sub-moa varmint round. There's dozens of powders that work well in your application, if you already have H335 I'd absolutely use it.
thanks! I’ve got plenty of Varget on hand from loading for .308Win, but nothing specifically for 223. So whatever I choose I’ll be going to the store to get. I guess availability comes into play. But just one lb will go a long way.

Edit* good to hear about accuracy with as low as 52gr projos

Question is how much you value the pelt - sometimes things get a little explosive on exit.

I've had good luck with 53vmaxs, accuracy wise.
I really like the fact that the 53 is a BT instead of a flat base. Curious about 53s and a 1:7.

Forgot to mention the loads will be used from Tennessee all the way up to South Dakota in the winter. So temp sensitivity is a thing to think about. H322?

The 60gr vmax is nice over 24.5 grains of Benchmark. I have several 1:8 and 1:9 twist but not a 1:7 but i think that would work good. I pretty much use a 55 grain since most of my shots are under 200 yards. The 53 gr vmax might work good too even though its lighter its much longer and has a good BC

Reactions: roosterpig
Good luck finding H322. I've been keeping my eye on the usual supplier's websites for over a year...if it's been available, I've managed to miss it

Reactions: roosterpig
The 60gr vmax is nice over 24.5 grains of Benchmark. I have several 1:8 and 1:9 twist but not a 1:7 but i think that would work good. I pretty much use a 55 grain since most of my shots are under 200 yards. The 53 gr vmax might work good too even though its lighter its much longer and has a good BC
Ooooh benchmark could be the ticket too. Good info thank you.