• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 69 grn smk ar-15 16 inch ideas??????

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
I am starting to load for my LWRC with a 1/7 twist with a 16 inch barrel. I am wanting to shoot 69 smk (I have 2500). If you have any load data please let me know. I am looking for it to work in my AR so I would appreciate no bolt gun information.

69 gr Sierra MK
25.5 grs VARGET
RP commcl brass
2.260" OCL
BR-4

2629 fps 16" LWRC M6A2

Seems to shoot right at an inch. Just started load development for this gun.

I tried to get a good load for the same twist and in the end I ended up using 77gr. 1-7 was just a tad too fast for 69's. Then I ended up getting a RRA with a 1-8 and loaded up the 69's for it and WOW what a difference! .5 moa at 100 yards.

I am not saying you should not load them, what i am saying is you may have a bit of a hard time finding a super sweet load at that twist rate so dont beat yourself up if you discover you are having a bit of difficulty with them. I do agree, this is a good load, but it never met my expectations out to 300 yards:

69 gr Sierra MK
25.5 grs VARGET
RP commcl brass
2.260" OCL
BR-4

69gr SMK
H322, 22.9 grains
Wolf small rifle primers
Good brass

Primers matters when your talking sub MOA. This load is sub MOA out of 7 different AR's. I changed to CCI primers and it opened up .5-1 inch on every gun. This load is half MOA in a couple guns.

I have given this load data to several guys, every time it's lights out. Wolf is the best kept secret in primers. Also, you this powder flows better than Varget. You can load this as fast as your plinking ammo with precision results.

Good luck.

I am starting to load for my LWRC with a 1/7 twist with a 16 inch barrel. I am wanting to shoot 69 smk (I have 2500). If you have any load data please let me know. I am looking for it to work in my AR so I would appreciate no bolt gun information.

I have the same exact gun. I used the accuracy load from Sierra's manual for 69gr HPBT with 25.3gr Varget, LC87 Brass and CCI450s. I did do a lite neck turn on the brass to try and make my loads more concentric. But other than that, everything else was standard. My last range test on this load gave me Average to Center (ATC) group (13 shots) of .471" with SD of 21 and ES of 48 with velocity of 2840fps 12' from muzzle shot off bipod on the bench. I did have some fliers that made the group 1.6" but I'm still learning how to shoot this gun. I'm much better with a bolt gun. I'm in the process of trying heavier loads with Hornady 75gr and Berger 77gr bullets. I'll update when I have more info. So far this 69gr Sierra HPBT load is the best.

69grHPBTSMK_zps728aff15.jpg

Last edited:
PBP,

24" use VV N-140, 20" use VV N-135, 16" use VV N-133. Only for the 69 gr. SMKs. Clean, low flash, works best with Wind SR primers.

HTH,
DocB

I've had really good luck with 25.0grs of AA2520 and CCI450s with the 69SMK out of my RRA 16 incher.

Thank you for all the information. I used a Dillon pocket swagger 600 to punch out the primer pockets. I then used the small base RCBS Carbide with crimp *(There ar series) I then loaded a load of 26 grains of Varget, and shot some rounds. I was averaging 1.06-1.08 5 shot groups. I shot 4 of these. I then changed up the load and shot a 25.5 grain Varget 2.62 OAL. Holly sh**, I was using 3 different brass (all range pick up and not the same brass in the 5 shot strand) and shot a .53 .38 .54 .. .26 inch 5 shot groups. It was insane. I am done with that. I am shooting a LWRC DEA model with a 16 inch barrel 1-7 twist I added a Timney trigger and this was shot with a tac invotations suppressor. scope was a sfp vortex viper pst 4x16 moa/moa

16" molly coated barrel, 23 grain IMR 8208 xbr, CCI primer, range pickup brass, 2,570 avg. FPS, .19 ES

IMR 4895, CFE both work great as well but you cant beat 8208 in my opinion run it under 175 grain .308 with great results also.

I shoot my stag 5.56 16" 1:7 twist with 60gr smk's loaded with 25.5g of varget, cci primers, I am getting sub moa at 100 yards with this load.

23.5 IMR4895
24.5 RL15
24 W748
in
L/C Brass
winchester primers

They all work nicely, These days i only shoot 55gr pills out of my shorty AR's. The 68's, 69's and heavier use in 20' inch or longer AR's