• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 75 ELD over Ramshot TAC

ototallydude

Ding dong
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2017
Oregon
I just received a good amount of ramshot for which I hope to use in 69 CC Nosler, 75 bthp and ELD Hornady. Any guidance or experience with these loads? I have Lapua brass, cci 450’s. Rifle is a 26 inch proof 1:7 barrel on a Tl3 action.

Ramshot is great powder for those bullets and performs at its best at pressure. 24.3-24.6 for 75-77g bullets and .3-.6 or so more for 69g…those weights are in AR type rifles so you may have a little more latitude with the bolt gun. work up and watch for overpressure signs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ototallydude
I've been running both the 73 & 75 ELDM's over TAC for several years now in a 26" Criterion 1 in 8" Wylde chambered barrel. COAL for both loads is around the max length of the MDT polymer mags I use, which are 2.550in IIRC. My charge weight is the same for both bullets, 25.15gr. I use CCI41's in LC and Lapua brass. Velocity is 3020fps & 2975fps respectively and accuracy is great with both.

Update: Found the load that works best.
75 ELD
New Starline Brass
24.3 Grains Ramshot TAC
3000 FPS average
SD of 6
Group was .4
Slight cratering in CCI 450's but no other signs of pressure (ie no heavy bolt lift, brass markings)

Going to shoot in a match. Weather says light rain for the day. We'll see how she bucks!

Reactions: bunsen27
Update: Found the load that works best.
75 ELD
New Starline Brass
24.3 Grains Ramshot TAC
3000 FPS average
SD of 6
Group was .4
Slight cratering in CCI 450's but no other signs of pressure (ie no heavy bolt lift, brass markings)

Going to shoot in a match. Weather says light rain for the day. We'll see how she bucks!
The Starline brass has a smaller case volume than Lapua and LC. It's good brass in my limited experience with it.

I'd be interested in hearing how your 75 ELD loads do over the long term. The problem I had with them was consistency. I'd get a few good groups but I'd get just as many blah groups.
Mine has been a proven good load, I've shot it out to 1k. If you are using new brass and seeing inconsistencies it could be a neck tension issue. I use a mandrel and Forster bushing die.

I'm pretty confident in the neck tension. I think they're picky in their seating depth because of the shape of the nose. Like the new sierra bullets
If recall correctly my 75gr loads are only 10 thousandths from being jammed. What is the chamber in the Tikka?

Tikka? I'm using a 223 Wylde chamber in a Krieger on a TL3. I've tried various depths under 30 along with 10 thou. 🤷
Sorry I mixed you and the OP up, he has the Tikka.

I don't know what our intended usage is but I mainly shoot steel and PDogs with 75gr. I honestly can't recall any wallet worthy groups during load development with the 75gr ELD-M's, mostly .0.75-0.5 MOA groups with good ES and single digit SD which suited my intended use just fine. Now the 73gr ELDM's did have some groups in the 0.3-0.2 MOA range. YMMV.