• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Accurate Mag?

MDM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Ohio
Does anyone have any experience with the 223 Accurate mags and how they're put together? Wondering if they could be modified to accept longer rounds than the 2.325" that is listed as max length length?

I modified my .223 Accurate mags to accept an overall length of 2.520".
It only required a couple of minutes with a small file.

I modified my .223 Accurate mags to accept an overall length of 2.520".
It only required a couple of minutes with a small file.
Awesome! Can you give me some details? Did you remove material from the rear spacer? 2.500" would work well for me.

MDM,
I just removed some material from the front ( bullet tip ) area of the mag.
The accurate .223 mag has a exterior metal housing with a full size interior plastic sleeve.
The mags come apart by removing the floor plate and pulling out the plastic sleeve , then just remove some material in the front for added overall length.
If you do not have a Accurate .223 mag I can send you one of mine to inspect and to see if it feeds properly.
Just send it back please.
Let me know.
Bob

Thanks bud, but I already ordered one to try. Found and old thread with pics of where the material is removed in the front. Can't function any worse than the polymer AI's I've got lately. Thanks for the offer.

If you hate the length on 10 round 223 mags as I do, you can also make a "hybrid" 5 shot 223 mag using Accurate mag 223 inner parts.
I used a scuffed up AI 5 round 308 mag for the prototype. Drill the spot welds and remove the reinforcement/spacer from the front -inside of the mag
Pull the base plate from an Accurate mag 223 magazine and remove the plastic inner and follower/spring
Slide the plastic Accurate mag inner into the 308 mag-scribe the plastic at the base of the 308 mag box and cut
You will need to make a clearance cut on each side of the outside of the plastic inner to clear the ribs on the 308 box....at least on AI boxes- when you slide the plastic inner into the box you will see where the ribs compress the plastic inner.
Install the 223 follower- cut the spring leaving 3 loops exposed.
Reassemble the base plate and you have a 5 round 223 mag with a metal exterior. Its not exactly cost effective but I had plenty of each type of mag and the mods only take about 10 minutes. If you could get the 223 guts from accurate mag and already had spare 308 boxes it wouldn't be too bad. The 308 box can be returned to its original config minus the removed spacer.
I'd be happy to send photos to smart phone/e-mail if you want to PM me contact info.

Keith