• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 AI Gunsmith Recommendations

PharmShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
Muncie, IN
Good evening! I currently have a .223 AI and would like to have another built and wondered if there were any recommendations for gunsmiths that have had great success with this cartridge. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

Lots as that is a long standing gunsmith type of thing.
LRI in Sturgis and Bugholes are two that come to mind as builders of 223 AI reported here as shooters. SAC would be a good call. APA and Accurate Ordnance In Ga.
I want one myself. Any of these would get my business.

Last edited:
Pcr built one for me. Mullerworks 8 twist. It shot the 80gr amax 1/4 moa as well as any standard 223 load.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

All of the above are good recommendations, but I would HIGHLY recommend Aaron Roberts at Roberts Precision Rifles (Roberts Precision Rifles - Aaron Roberts Houston Texas Riflesmith Gunsmith). He just re-chambered my 223 to a 223ai, and he did one hell of a job, as usual. Quick turnaround, the cleanest threads that I have ever seen on the tenon and the muzzle, and superb communication throughout.

To me, the best part about it is that he took special care to ensure the feed area of the chamber was chamfered and polished appropriately for the 223ai brass. Easy to overlook, but very important to get right. Mine feeds from AI mags like greased lightning as a result. He also made sure that the chamber was cut appropriately...that is to say that there is a slight "crush" on the shoulder of the unformed 223 cases when fireforming.

iWuzQ0t.jpg

sBhOT4E.jpg

DIraUBq.jpg

Dropped a couple...

btlDzjQ.jpg

5 shots, pointed 82 berger at 3030.

Give him a call, he's good.

I sent my Rem 700 and a Brux barrel off to Long Rifles for their group buy. Can't wait for my 223AI to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Hayes is a great Smith. Don't know about 223AI, but I have a 6 creedmoor he built that has printed a few 5 shot groups in the .1s

223ai, can you show pictures of the feed ramp modifications on your rifle?

I've never had any trouble with the factory geometry, but I'm all for smoothing things up.

Sorry to get off topic.

223ai, can you show pictures of the feed ramp modifications on your rifle?

I've never had any trouble with the factory geometry, but I'm all for smoothing things up.

Sorry to get off topic.

He didn't modify the feedramp in any way, he did chamfer the feeding area of the barrel/chamber area....I don't know what you call it, sorry. No pics, I would have to pull the barrel off to get them.