• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

223 ammo need advise

peterh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2012
Florida
I just got a new Rem XCR C/T 223 1in9. I've already shot some Federal Gold Match 69gr and Hornady Steel Match 55gr. Both shot pretty good but nothing exceptional. I would like to know if anybody here have one of these rifles and what results are they having. Would like any recommendation tks

Re: 223 ammo need advise

I shoot 69gr Black Hills Match out of my 20" 1:9 Remington LTR with excellent results. Also the BH 77gr is even better, but probably won't do so well without a 1:8. It all depends on your definition of "exceptional" I guess. Also, how do you know the ammo is what is letting you down?

I feel it's the ammo because I believe I know how to shoot. The gun shot .5 moa with Federal gold medal match 69 gr. The hornady black steel match was around .75 moa, but when I switched to Federal Premium 55gr it shot about 3.5 moa. I slso tryed the hornady Vmax 55gr with about the same results. I'm thinking this gun likes the heavier bullets. whats the rule on twist and bullet weights.

9 twist will work for 75/77 BTHP, won't quite do it with 75 A-max.

55s will shoot fine from a 9 twist, your rifle just doesn't agree with that ammo.

Will be coming out with 223 Rem Comp Match ammo loaded with 70gr VLD specifically for 9 twist factory bolt rifle. I just need to get the test bed rifle bedded into stock and get load developed.

I also have a savage with a 1-9 twist it loves 75 grain bthp's and the 68's I heard that savage 9 twist is a little faster than other factory 9 twist is this true or a myth

Problem with a 9 twist and 75 A-max is that if you get a box/lot# that is slightly longer the bullet isn't stable. Been there, done that; on razors edge with a 9 twist and 75 A-max.

If button rifled barrel, possible for button to "slip" as it is displacing metal vs removing metal with cut rifling. If button slips you end up with a slightly slower twist rate.

I've had some lot#s of 75 A-max run out of a 9 twist and other lot #s shoot patterns. YMMV

I will be interested in that 223 vld load! Would also love to be able to buy some 75 amax........

To op, black hills always shot the best out of my bolt 223. Hornady match 75 is good stuff too. I think to get below .5moa you'll need to hand load. For me, a consistent .5 or even .75 is outstanding. I can't hold much better than that at distance and in the wind anyway.....

so i guess what your telling me is to use the heavier match rounds! well I was told that 1-9 twist was better for the light loads. well I will test again. MM llC please let me know when your ammo is available......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peterh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I feel it's the ammo because I believe I know how to shoot. The gun shot .5 moa with Federal gold medal match 69 gr. The hornady black steel match was around .75 moa, but when I switched to Federal Premium 55gr it shot about 3.5 moa. I slso tryed the hornady Vmax 55gr with about the same results. I'm thinking this gun likes the heavier bullets. whats the rule on twist and bullet weights. </div></div>

if your shooting in the .5's with fgmm your probably not going to see much better results with anything off the shelf, if you want better than .5moa you will probably want to work a load and do your own reloading.