• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 and barrel twist

I have not shot any 80's yet, but I am running 77 Scenars in a 1-9 with great results. Berger has a twist calculator on there site that works pretty well. You might want to enter some data and look at the projected SG.

8 twist is fine for 80's. I put 5k+ of 82 Bergers on my Brux 6.5 twist, and the new barrel is 7 twist, just because. I'd have had no problems substituting an 8 twist instead...

80s should be fine in a 1-8.

I have been shooting 80s gr. Noslers in my 1-9 Savage bolt gun successfully.

Last edited:
The 80gr A-Max can be a fuzz marginal in a 1:8 (especially at low elevations and cold temps) due to their length, but Bergers or SMK/CCs would be just fine as mentioned upthread.

When in doubt read the end of the box.

sierracrimp004_zps19c43ef6.jpg

Stabilized in my ai out to 1k. They were pushing 2900+. I think it would depend on how fast you got em going in a standard 223.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

So it seems that the 1-8 will do it fine, would there be any advantage of using the 1-7 instead?

1:7 provides more stability margin with 80gr A-Max at lower elevations and colder temperatures; also gives you flexibility should you want to try 90s.

I went with a 1 in 7 in case I ever wanted to try the 90's but the 80.5 Fullbore berger have shot so exceptionally well I have seen no reason to shoot the 90's. When in doubt go with the faster twist. A little more twist is better than not enough.