• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

223 barral twist

erdmann

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Midland,texas
bought a rem varmint 223 1-12 26' barrel twist and i want to try it out in f class what bullet do you all recommend we shoot 500m

Re: 223 barral twist

With the 1-12 twist your going to have to stay in the 55-60gr range, you can't go much heavier.
1/7 or 1/9 would have been better.
Curt

You've got the wrong barrel for the stated task. A 12 twist isn't gonna shoot the heavy 75-80gr bullets you need for F-class. Unfortunately, you'll need a new barrel with a 7 or 8 twist. Or, you could just cut your losses and sell the rifle and get something more appropriate for F-class.

+1 to Scooter-PIE's comments. A 1:12 is a fine varmint rig barrel that you can throw lighter bullets at high MVs, but you are asking a lot from that barrel to get lighter bullets accurately on target at 500yds, especially if you have even a little wind. It just isn't well suited for long-range target or F-class match shooting because you won't be able to run the heavier, high BC, BT match bullets out of it that you need to shoot to be competitive.

52gr BTHP.

They are fantastic target bullets for 1:12 twist, bu definately arent heavy enough to reach out there F-Class style

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At our range, you are not allowed to shoot at 500/600 yard berms unless bullet weight 69g or higher. Your 1/12 wont stabilize the 69g class bullets. </div></div>

Just curious as to why they wouldn't allow it? I know the lighter bullets in 22 cal are far from optimal for beyond 300 but they are still capable of hits at that range and I can't see any safety reasons for not allowing it, so what gives?

And back to the op's question-pretty much what has been said in the above post applies, 1-9 twist at least for the heavy, long bullets in a 223. The only 1-12 twist I've seen stabilize 69g Matchkings was chambered in 22-250AI, and even then I'd think they were right on the ragged edge. Enough velocity though and they will stabilize, but a 223 isn't capable of the velocities required to stabilize a bullet that long in a 1-12.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At our range, you are not allowed to shoot at 500/600 yard berms unless bullet weight 69g or higher. Your 1/12 wont stabilize the 69g class bullets. </div></div>

Just curious as to why they wouldn't allow it? I know the lighter bullets in 22 cal are far from optimal for beyond 300 but they are still capable of hits at that range and I can't see any safety reasons for not allowing it, so what gives?
</div></div>
Because it IS a safety issue. Come out to enough matches and you will see these rifles and bullets hit the berm regularly, be all over the target, frustrating the target puller, and overall just being a nuisance. If you keep hitting the berm in front of the targets, you start damaging not only your target, but the ones next to you. It is a real nuisance and safety issue with rocks flying all over.

At my range, if you can't get on paper in a few shots, you get pulled out of the competition. If you start hitting the berm regularly or are off target, you get pulled off the line. Those are good rules.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At our range, you are not allowed to shoot at 500/600 yard berms unless bullet weight 69g or higher. Your 1/12 wont stabilize the 69g class bullets. </div></div>

</div></div>
Because it IS a safety issue. Come out to enough matches and you will see these rifles and bullets hit the berm regularly, be all over the target, frustrating the target puller, and overall just being a nuisance. If you keep hitting the berm in front of the targets, you start damaging not only your target, but the ones next to you. It is a real nuisance and safety issue with rocks flying all over.

At my range, if you can't get on paper in a few shots, you get pulled out of the competition. If you start hitting the berm regularly or are off target, you get pulled off the line. Those are good rules. </div></div>

When your talking about a match yeah I can see the issue. You did'nt say anything about that in your first post, I thought you just meant while casually shooting at the range.

What part of TX are you in? Depending on your answer to that question I may be able to help you get to the 500-600 line with your stick.

I have been pumping the 52SMK out to 500 with great results. You can get the 69's to 1k but with a 1x12 it most likely may not work. Wouldnt hurt to throw some out and see how she flies though.

As far as the guy posting about not allowing people to shoot 500-600 with the 52's maybe you need to pull the shooter and not the certain bullet size. If these people cannot get a 223 to 500 then who knows wtf will happen with you give em a little more lead. Scooter's club seems to have the right answer to this, get the shooter off the line.

In Midland where the wind never stops you want to shoot 52 gr.
They will end up in Odesolite. Try a 8 or 7 tw with 82,90 gr.
If you can hit the target there More power to you.

got a tgr 22 and a stiller tac-30 both in 308 .I wanted to try a 223 but i bought the remy vermin with the 1 in 12 i guess it is going to be an up hill battle