• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 barrel length?

Sogan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2013
About to order a new barrel for a .223 bolt gun that we can call a trainer I suppose but really I just wanted one in 223 . Going 1:7 twist but undecided on barrel length. Realistically it will be used for 600 yards and in most of the time but I’ll absolutely use it to poke out to 1k for fun every now and then. Weight is not really an issue. Hoping to use 75gr ELD-M with either Varget or 8208.

So the question is 24 or 26”

You won't notice any appreciable difference between 24" and 26" at 600 yards, nor at 1000 yards. But at 1000 yards you are pushing the limit (to say the least) of the ballistic capabilities of a .223 bullet.

Here's some helpful information:

Reactions: Sogan
My experience,
I have two bolt 223s, one in 20in and one in 26.
Both are crazy accurate with handloads both are extremely fun to shoot. The 26 definitely gets further due to a couple of hundred feet more velo.
Which one is better? Neither, both are great! The 26 is a bit long and a bit heavier. When suppressed the 26 becomes an bit unwieldy. It’s long! But ridiculous fun to shoot out to 800. The 20 gets there also but tends to start falling off at that range. The 26 goes to 1k fine.
I would go with a 24 between your two choices.

If you are going longer the 20in then go 26 in. Better velocity and with the 1-7 you can shoot the heavier 77 plus grain bullets.

My experience,
I have two bolt 223s, one in 20in and one in 26.
Both are crazy accurate with handloads both are extremely fun to shoot. The 26 definitely gets further due to a couple of hundred feet more velo.
Which one is better? Neither, both are great! The 26 is a bit long and a bit heavier. When suppressed the 26 becomes an bit unwieldy. It’s long! But ridiculous fun to shoot out to 800. The 20 gets there also but tends to start falling off at that range. The 26 goes to 1k fine.
I would go with a 24 between your two choices.
No suppressor use in my shitty state so unfortunately I don’t have to worry about added length there

• Sad
Reactions: Rover31
Id do another 26 if I couldnt run a can. My benchmark loves the 75 eldm with 24.5 gr Varget. Have also had it to 800, and was still hitting consistantly.

Old thread but are y'all measuring the barrel length stated in these posts from the closed bolt face to barrel crown? Or are these stated lengths trying to indicate rifled barrel length without the chamber length?

The barrel length is measured from bolt face to muzzle basically. Or if barrel is removed from action just measure the oal and that’s the barrel length