• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Barrel Upgrade

PharmShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
Muncie, IN
Guys,

I currently have a 24" .223 Benchmark bull barrel on an AR-15. It's a "decent" shooter and averages around .750" MOA. I'm the second owner and I'm not sure about the round count. I'm thinking about upgrading my barrel and I'm willing to spend several hundred to get something that might improve my performance. Any recommendations???

Re: .223 Barrel Upgrade

Daniel Defense any barrel will do or look at the douglas barrels.

not to take you away from buying a new barrel, but... has the barrel always been a .75moa shooter? Have your tried putting a new crown on it? Its a lot cheaper then a new barrel and may help you out.

I had a barrel that was a .75moa gun at 100 yards and no matter what handload i fed it it wouldnt get any better. I had a new crown put on it and its a .5 barrel now.

Since I've owned it (4 months) it has been a consistent .750" avg. MOA shooter. I've heard of recrowning, but didn't really think about it for this gun. Any thoughts on who to send it to?

Another vote for White Oak, I have one of their service rifle uppers and it is a shooter for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbone40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for White Oak, I have one of their service rifle uppers and it is a shooter for sure. </div></div>
Another White Oak here. For the money they are hard to beat. Noveske is a top shooter as well.

Anybody else have experience with Noveske barrels? I spent a little time on their site and I liked what I saw. Reasonable price and barrels IN STOCK.

I would consider a good cleaning and then bore scope it. I see many that get "burned" just before the sale to a next guy. Also, are you a sub .75 moa AR shooter? Not just a bolt gun sub .75 MOA shooter. Now to answer your question, the best AR barrels I ever shoot are Les Baers. Expensive, but ALL shoot sub .5 MOA in .223 and .204. I do not know how they do on other uppers, but on Baer Uppers, uniformly better than anything I have ever shot on an AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would consider a good cleaning and then bore scope it. I see many that get "burned" just before the sale to a next guy. Also, are you a sub .75 moa AR shooter? Not just a bolt gun sub .75 MOA shooter. Now to answer your question, the best AR barrels I ever shoot are Les Baers. Expensive, but ALL shoot sub .5 MOA in .223 and .204. I do not know how they do on other uppers, but on Baer Uppers, uniformly better than anything I have ever shot on an AR. </div></div>
I am trying to remember who makes their barrels but I know it is not les baer

I have an 18" Lilja on my 3-gun rifle that shoots 1/2 minute with 68 and 75 hornady's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PharmShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experience with Lilja barrels?</div></div>

I have had a few rifles built up with their rifles. They make good tubes. I like fewer lands in my tubes as it seems to make the bullets go a little faster. I also have kreiger upper and they both shoot about the same. I have not wore either out on my AR's so I can not tell you what one will last longer.

Thanks. To answer your question, the gun I'm referring to is an AR and is a consistent .75 MOA shooter. I'm not sure what you mean by getting "burned" before the sale to the next guy. Please explain. Thanks!

Krieger and Bartlein - Cut rifled record setters. Perhaps, the Best of the Best.

White Oak Armory and Black Hole Weaponry - Great value!

Noveske - 0.75 is acceptable and you are paying for the name. I own a few and am happy with them.

0.75-MOA from a gas gun is pretty good. Good Luck producing better.

AnschutzNerd

Qhat kind of trigger do you have? That could help significantly w/ an AR, plus you could look at a billet upper for less receiver flex to bring your group sizes in. Outside of that, WOA are very good for the money. I wouldn't spend much more on a barrel w/o knowing that the other parts of the gun are geared towards accuracy as well.

Re,burned barrels.
Sir, What I was saying by this is that many of the AR .223 rifles I purchased 2end hand looked prefect on the outside, but had rough, pitted eroded barrels to the bore scope. I have some that I have fired 3K + rounds and hunted with that have some wear on the outside far more that the ones I purchased, but I never get them hot, do mag dumps etc and the bores look great. I think guys selling AR's often shoot the hell out of them. Just human nature, I guess or the nature of some humans anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

That is what I was thinking as well.

The only time I have produced better than that on a regular basis was using flat-base match bullets from a mechanical rest.

If you are getting .75MOA with a heavy match bullet at various distances then I do not know that you'll get much better with a new barrel.

Most RRA PP's shoot that well or better. I believe they use Wilson barrels but
double check me on it. With a big heavy barrel I don't think it's unreasonable to
look for .5 moa in an AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AnschutzNerd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krieger and Bartlein - Cut rifled record setters. Perhaps, the Best of the Best.

White Oak Armory and Black Hole Weaponry - Great value!

Noveske - 0.75 is acceptable and you are paying for the name. I own a few and am happy with them.

AnschutzNerd</div></div>

Has anyone had first hand exp. with black hole barrels? Have never shot with a polygonal tube. But I have been looking at them qute a bit lately. Anyone with any insight? Don't mean to high Jack your thread pharmshooter.

You might try bedding the barrel to squeak a little more accuracy out of it, it seems to help some guns.

If you are set on a new barrel then Kreiger wins hands down in my book, I always heard the were good shooters then I bought one.

.27 MOA 5 shots at 100 yards with hand loads.
db79978d.jpg

Just when I was convinced I wanted to buy a new barrel, today I shot 3 groups that were sub .5 MOA. Trying a few things different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Most RRA PP's shoot that well or better. I believe they use Wilson barrels but
double check me on it. With a big heavy barrel I don't think it's unreasonable to
look for .5 moa in an AR. </div></div>

RRA use wilson barrels same as white oak. I have several of each and they are all about MOA with heavy bullets and tighter with light varmint ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might try bedding the barrel to squeak a little more accuracy out of it, it seems to help some guns.

</div></div>

I'm no smithy but I've never heard of bedding a barrel or bedding anything on an AR for that matter. How bout a little more explaination?

To the OP, I obviously dont know your level of experience or talent but those groups are good for an AR thats not worked over and like was said earlier, I'd damn sure make sure of the trigger and my AR specific fundamentals before I started spending money changing barrels. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to take it to 1K right now with those groups but I agree with BattleAxe, I'd switch to 175's....of course, I'd shoot them over 168's at any distance
wink.gif
. Good luck.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might try bedding the barrel to squeak a little more accuracy out of it, it seems to help some guns.

</div></div>

I'm no smithy but I've never heard of bedding a barrel or bedding anything on an AR for that matter. How bout a little more explaination?

To the OP, I obviously dont know your level of experience or talent but those groups are good for an AR thats not worked over and like was said earlier, I'd damn sure make sure of the trigger and my AR specific fundamentals before I started spending money changing barrels. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to take it to 1K right now with those groups but I agree with BattleAxe, I'd switch to 175's....of course, I'd shoot them over 168's at any distance
wink.gif
. Good luck.

okie </div></div>

Basically you take the upper apart and take the barrel out, apply a layer of blue Locktite on the barrel extension, reinsert barrel, wipe excess Locktite off threads and re-torque the barrel nut and let dry for a day. The idea is that the Locktite will remover any gap between the barrel extension and upper to produce a tighter fit, more bearing surface also, and improving harmonics in the gun for a more repeatable shot. A loose barrel extension to upper fit can throw shots off and this bedding has been know to greatly improve accuracy. I'm sure there will be a argument shortly about Locktite melting and what not but remember that most of the heat is forward of the barrel extension and the Locktite is just taking up space and not actually holding anything. At the end of the day it costs maybe $3 for the Locktite if you don't have any and if you already have the tools it damn sure couldn't hurt trying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might try bedding the barrel to squeak a little more accuracy out of it, it seems to help some guns.

</div></div>

wink.gif
. Good luck.

okie </div></div>

Basically you take the upper apart and take the barrel out, apply a layer of blue Locktite on the barrel extension, reinsert barrel, wipe excess Locktite off threads and re-torque the barrel nut and let dry for a day. The idea is that the Locktite will remover any gap between the barrel extension and upper to produce a tighter fit, more bearing surface also, and improving harmonics in the gun for a more repeatable shot. A loose barrel extension to upper fit can throw shots off and this bedding has been know to greatly improve accuracy. I'm sure there will be a argument shortly about Locktite melting and what not but remember that most of the heat is forward of the barrel extension and the Locktite is just taking up space and not actually holding anything. At the end of the day it costs maybe $3 for the Locktite if you don't have any and if you already have the tools it damn sure couldn't hurt trying. </div></div>

Well, a listening man learns something every day, thanks for the explanation. BTW, glad you used the blue
wink.gif

okie

I was going to ask - .75 MOA with factory loads or hand loads?

Are you a competition shooter? If so, maybe then I'd look at a barrel (if the crown itself isn't an issue), the ammo, the trigger, scope and mount before I would look at re-barreling. Another thing is copper fouling.

I would slide a vote in for ar15 performance for a 5.56 barrel.

I'm a competition shooter only in the sense that I want to beat my buddies at the range. I do shoot hand loads, but I'm going to try some new ammo from a guy I have exchanged messages with here on Hide. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to give the new ammo a try. I will let everyone know what I think about it.

Check the twist and bullet selection your shooting. Also the crown as mentioned and have the throat scoped. Ar's get down right abused! The other thing to consider is the headspace and if the bolt head and extension are mated. If none of this helps call me at the shop.
Chris
Benchmark