• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 Bolt Gun Build

splean

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2007
On the Western Front
So I've been collecting parts for a .223 rifle build for a while. The only component I'm missing is the barrel. The stock is a Manners T-5 channeled for a #7 contour barrel from another build that never happened. I'm at a loss as to what twist and length I want to go with. I might go varmint hunting once in a while but it will mostly be a range gun. I'd like to shoot a variety of bullet weights out to about 700yrds. I've read 90gr .223 rifles can only shoot 90gr bullets accurately. Is this true? What barrels are you guys using? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Re: .223 Bolt Gun Build

My 223ai has a Rock 8-twist finished at 22". I shoot 75 grain and 80 grain bullets, and they perform very well.

Hey Deadly, how heavy do you go with a 1-7 and what barrel length? Thanks for the quick response.

havent yet, but its the twist to shoot the heavier grain bullets, i have a 223 that is soon to be sent off to have a new tube put on it, im going with a 1-7 twist to shoot 70+ grain pills through it

I have 6 223AIs.

1 - 1:12 twist for the ground squirls (55gr - 65gr)
1 - 1:7.75 twist (69 gr Scenars and 75 gr Vmax)
4 - 1:8 twist (69 gr Scenars and 75 gr Vmax)

I haven't tried the 90s yet.

After I built one...the whole family needed one. They are addicting and nobody wants to stop shooting...

Mine has a 20" 3 groove Lilja in 8 twist. The load I settled on shoots 77smks's at 2800. 700 yards is no problem! My only other advise is don't make it overly heavy or long, it doesn't need to be.

My Savage .223 has a 26" heavy barrel, 1:9 twist, shooting 75 gr Amax very well to 650 yards so far. It's also the stock barrel...

Why a variety of ammo? I'd shoot whichever works best in it, for varmint shooting you could still use match bullets and get them in 1 shot instead of 3 misses with varmint bullets. But that's just me.

Mines a 1-8 twist Bartlien medium Palma. I run 75 A-maxs and with the new AI mags it should be hoot. She'll run to 1000 even cut to 22". Great choice in caliber - you will have a blast.

JamieD
Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

IMG_6944.jpg

I will agree with the 8 twist and 22 inch barrel.
We have 2 223AI's. 1 is a 23in 1:9 cut down savage varmint barrel. Runs 75 Amax at 2850 with no problems.

The other is a Douglas 1:8, 22 inches.
75 Amax at just 2950. It shoots the 80 Amax and 80 Nosler CC just as well.

Both are shooting 1/2 MOA to 600 in the cold.

I don't think you need 1:7, but if you want to go with the 90's, I would recommend looking at the Pac-Nor 1:6.5. That is what HP shooters where using several years ago when the 90's first came out.

I took my LTR and rebarelled it with an exact contour, 1-8 twist in 5R pattern. I should have had it fluted to the max. Varmint shooting it is tooooo heavy. I've shot the 75gr. Hornady BTHP's, accuracy has not been what I've expected so now trying 75 Amax's. We'll see! I also had it throated so the bearing surface of the 75gr BTHP fits to the bottom of the neck of cartridge, didn't see any reason seating the bullet in case further than necassary and killing case capacity.

I did the same thing - Throated for the 75 A-max to COAL of 2.485. I used Staceys specs of the new AI mag of 2.5 inches. The bullet is just out of the neck shoulder junction except for the boattail. Can run 25.5 of Varget without they extreme crunch. Load is a little less than that now.

So far so good - Adam said mags are in the mail on there way here. Should be fun rig to run.

JamieD

Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

splean,

I just built a 223 for myself using a Shilen SS select match #17 contour with a 1:8 twist. It shot Sierra 55 gr HPBT, Sierra 77 gr. HPBT and the Berger 80 VLDs all under 0.5 MOA consistantly.

This is great information guys. I really appreciate it. GCM what I meant by variety was that I want to be able to shoot store bought ammo if I had to. I'm also waiting on my AI mags. I can't wait to put it all together. Thanks again.

the most accurate rifle I have ever owned was a .223 with a 1-9 twist handled 69s and 75s like laser beams, never shot anything as heavy as 90s though be interested in hearing more

I love my 22 inch Krieger #17 (Heavy Varmint) in 1-8 twist.

I'm sure it won't stabilize the 90's but it works great for 69's and 77's.

Hope this helps.

I really appreciate every response. After reading them and a little bit more research on the 90gr bullet I've decided on a 24" 1-8 chambered in .223. I don't think the .223 90gr cartridge is for me after all. It seems there are a lot of guys getting good results with 69-80gr out to and beyond 700yrd. Thanks again guys. This is a great site and a great group.

Splean,
I am running a 20" 1/9 Rock barrel. That handles the 69 and 75's VERY well. First time out took it to 650 yards first round hit. Zero'd it at 100, took it to 200 then right out to 600. I'm glad they have ballistic programs. Oh by the way, Texgal was there. She called it sota's "bb gun".

SOTA

Been looking to buy a bolt .223 or build one but money is alittle tight. I'm thinking a 1:9 twist would be fine for me. Was hoping to be able to run the same reloads i use in my AR, Hornady 75gr. hpbt's. Are you guys finding any accuracy issues with AR15 mag length loads in a bolt gun. How well do the .223's handle the jump to the lands. I don't need a real tack driver just something to fill the gap between nothing and the .308.

If you are going with a factory tube, 1-9 is the best you can do (for some reason). If you are going to put an aftermarket tube on it, I would recommend the Wylde chamber with a 1-8 twist. That way you can safely shoot the 5.56 77 grain loads if you want, and you can be certain of stabilizing all the 75's. You'll have to go even faster to stabilize the real heavies.
My factory 1-9 seems to stabilize 75's just fine, but my range only goes out to 200 yards.
There is no more jump to the lands in a bolt gun than an ar-15 if the chamber is cut to specs unless you end up with a long throat or if it is throated for the extremely heavy for caliber bullets like the 80's and 90's.
murrdogg, I would recommend starting with the Savage PC10 or the 10FP. I have an SPS tac that is a pretty good shooter, but it required a new stock and I had to do a trigger job on it. The X-mark pro trigger is OK, but not consistent. Had the PC10 been available at the time, I would have gotten one instead.

fdkay, i've been seriously considering the remington 5r milspec in .223, looked at the savages and really liked them too but would just prefer a remington to keep things consisten, but after remington only offered me 200 dollar reinbursement for my 17hmr i don't know if i want to give them any more business. My next rifle will be a bolt .223, or a m24 build, or a AR15 A1 build. Thanks for your input, was wondering how the bolt guns with a 1:9 like the 75's, sounds like it's not much of a problem.

I had a Remington LTR and it shot the 75's well. A freind had no luck with his. Some do and some don't. The Savage is a good way to go. 1-9 twist in a couple models. A close friend has won many long range groundhog matches wih his factory .223 savage BVSS. Shot Bergers 75's I believe.

Good luck.

JamieD

Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

My SPS Tactical (with factory 1-9 barrel) shot best with .020 of jump with 52gr SMK.

I've read that the SMK like the jump. I wouldn't worry about jump and running the same re-loads through an AR-15 and a bolt gun.

If you're building a .223 bolt gun, and there's enough room in the mag or mag box, get a 7-twist and throat it to shoot 80VLD's to the lands from the mag. Unless you are going with .223AI there's no real performance gain in having a barrel longer than 22".