• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 bolt gun questions

ebam1a

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
I am thinking about buying a Savage 10 precision carbine in .223. It has a 20" barrel with 1in9" twist. I have little experience with this twist in a bushmaster AR that I 20 years ago that I rarely shot. All the other ARs that i have owned had 1in7" twist. How will the 1in9 preform with heavier bullets? I would really like to be able to shoot out to 600yards but cant do .308 any more due to a bad shoulder so I am going to have to drop down to a .223.

My 223 bolt rifle is quickly becoming my favorite. I run an 18" barrel with a 1/7.5" twist. I run 80.5g Bergers, but the 80g SMKs shoot great too.

Personally, I would recommend you get a faster twist. The 1/9" twist is hit-and-miss with anything larger than 69 grain. Look for at least 1/8". Or buy the Savage as-is, and drop in a new barrel with a faster twist.

Last edited:
9 twist works pretty well with 68 BTHP, 69 BTHP, 70 VLD, 73 VLD and most times 77 gr match bullets. 70 VLDs are probably you best bet for performance at distance. 75 JLKs from a 9 twist, factory Win 70 have worked really well for me but I'm at 5300 ft. 70 Berger VLD is a safer bet if closer to sea level.
75 Amax is hit or miss with 9 twist in my experience.

My 223 bolt rifle is quickly becoming my favorite. I run an 18" barrel with a 1/7.5" twist. I run 80.5g Bergers, but the 80g SMKs shoot great too.

Personally, I would recommend you get a faster twist. The 1/9" twist is hit-and-miss with anything larger than 69 grain. Look for at least 1/8". Or buy the Savage as-is, and drop in a new barrel with a faster twist.

^^^^^^this

.223 bolt gun questions

If you still have your .308 I would just throw a muzzle brake on there and call it a day.. Should reduce the recoil to about a .223 would be. Esp if you reload and already have all the equipment. Save $$ too 8)

it will shoot the hornady 75 bthp, which is pretty decent. I've got the hawg hunter .223, and a .308 precision carbine. the PC is better, I'm just not sure if it's $300-400 better. the .223 has enough magazine latitude to set your OAL at 2.4"ish with the 75 g bthp and be right at the lands.

I am actually quite fond of the setup, as its a portable rifle (not overly heavy) and shoots very well right out of the box. I'm using an SWFA 6x on mine, which comes recommended for range of elevation adjustment, if you're wishing to stretch a .223's legs.

I will say that I wish I had gotten a .223 sooner. they are miserly on powder and lead consumption, and only a mouse fart of recoil. theyre capable of far more than most give them credit for.

I am working with a 9 twist savage FCP, I really like the rifle. I have not gone past 100 yards yet because I am still in the load development phase. Todate the 75gr AMAX is giving me the joy I need, nice and tight and I have not even done seating depth testing! See target below.

The 69gr SMK has also worked pretty good and will be worth doing more testing on. See target

I still have not had any joy with the 75gr BTHP, just too many flyers for my liking, the metaplat on these things are huge! A buddy thinks if I point them they will come in to line, but I do not want to spend the time if I can get the AMAX to work.

Diego

I have a Rem 700 SPS in .223 with a 1:9 twist barrel. I too worried about using heavier bullets in the 1:9 twist barrel. So far I have gotten great results with Hornady 75gr BTHP cartridges. I only have a range that goes out to 200 yds near me, but have been able to get 7/8" three shot groups at 200 yds. That's 1/2 MOA at 200 yds. Haven't tried out anything heavier yet. Good luck!