• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 brake

1911jerry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2006
The free state of Texas
I have not purchased a muzzle brake in a while, and I am looking for a nice one to match up to a LW50 223 barrel.

Budget is about 125. I was looking at SureFire and Seekins, but would condier others. I will be shooting out to about 300 yards.

Any decent ones out there that you woud recommend...?

Anything to stay away from. I am the school of buy once cry once...

Thanks

Re: 223 brake

SF and rock on....

SR15.jpg

Without a doubt the two best comps I've ever shot are the SJC Titan and APA Micro Bastard. Both will avoid breaking the bank as well. Another to take a look at is the JP brakes.

I've got a micro bastard on my current competition gun and it literally doesn't move. Jered and company developed an awesome brake that is extremely small and works outstanding. I was very skeptical upon hearing about it at SHOT show, but after shooting several guns with them I'm sold. http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/products-page/muzzlebrakes/micro-bastard/

-Sean

Thanks, good info. I like supporting the little guys and site sponsors, so i will take a look at each.....

I would also recommend that I learn to use spell check....

Not a site sponsor that I know of, but Rainier Arms' XTC works great for me on my 18" AR. I shoot 300-600yds with it and have no complaints whatsoever, plus, <$60.

It is somewhat of a combo FH/comp, but performed as a comp/brake better than I expected.

Depends on what you want to do with it. Some are better at reducing recoil (such as for 3-gun), others are better at minimizing concussion (such as for not pissing of everyone).

Here are a couple others that haven't been mentioned yet.

*BCM has a couple new ones coming out shortly that designed to be a good compromise of flashhiding and lower concussion. Interesting design and will be a nice price.

*Battle Comps are popular and not as loud as the open port designs, can be had for about $135.

I dont care so much about a comp for tactical situations, becuase I run a can... that being said I really want the most quiet and effective flash hider on the market when the can is off.

I think, and this is just my opinion having owned evaluated and tested a LOT of comps out there.. the Miller is the most effective at reducing recoil. In fact you can find several people saying that at 50 yards with a red-dot the bullet's are almost touching in rapid fire. BUt it comes at a cost, it's painfull. I mean LOUD!

For the money,and the size, etc.. it' sreally hard to beat the Miculek comp.. especialy when you consider it's only $39.

If anyone wants to test the Miller in Austin, I can arrange a test with a .223 and .308, and really think it's the most effective on the market.

I'm confused. Are we talking compensator or flash hider? I assumed compensator. In that case, take a look at the Spikes Dynacomp. I put one on both of my AR's. Running full-auto with one is like aiming a garden hose... But it is uncomfortably loud for anyone else around you. FWIW.

miculek is the best brake you'll find and for the price its the clear winner here. ($35)

Unless your concerned with weight, then you might want something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SF and rock on....

SR15.jpg
</div></div>

This. Surefire breaks are hard to beat.

I have shot just about every brake there is and without a doubt the top two brakes are..

1)sjc Titan
2)rolling thunder
Both of these are a little much for let's say CQC use though

The surefire is a good brake but likely doesn't even make the top 5..but is that a bad thing? Hell no! The surefire is very user friendly example: doesn't blast the shooter, isn't very long, is suppressor compatible..

If you aren't going to run a suppressor though I just couldn't recommend the surefire...I'm currently testing the pri mstn qc..and really like it so far..

A new Co. called Precision Armament has a few Brakes out, and along with great recoil reduction, they have proved to be the most accurate as well, and not changing POI at all.

AdvanceArmBrakeandwashers004.jpg

I've shot the titan and the miller side by side.. the miller is more effective. But that's only something i would want for 3gun/IPSC, etc.

I much more prefer a good flash-hider, as that lowers recoil a bit also.

As far as the claim that 1 is more accurate than another, that's a bit absurd when you think about it unless you can provide some scientific data to back it up.

All I know is I shot my 20" 5R, no Brake, JP Cooley brake, PWS Brake, YHM, and Precision Arm. brake. The results proved that a Brake can and will change POI, not any accuracy change for me, but about an inch off on POI. If the brrl isn't threaded perfectly concentric to the bore, and the brake as well, this can change the gasses around the bullet as it exits the muzzle. If you can picture a bullet coming out that is closer to one side than the other? This does change POI. On my BR rigs, I know exactly how many clicks to move my optic when shooting without a Brake, during whitetail season.

21st Century Gunfighter just did a video review series on several different muzzle devices, I found it to be very informative. I personally run surefires on my rifles. I'd be interested in the new BCM though. There are so many good brakes out there I'd just look for one with a good reputation, meets your price point, and is built by a good company.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B4forever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">21st Century Gunfighter just did a video review series on several different muzzle devices, I found it to be very informative.</div></div>

Yes, and the one thing I really liked about it is that they shot them in the "roll-over prone" position. Many competitions are adding stages that force you to shoot this position. As much as I loved my SJC Titan, it really made me eat dirt in this position. I wish more muzzle break review would test the break in that position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mateofeo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a site sponsor that I know of, but Rainier Arms' XTC works great for me on my 18" AR. I shoot 300-600yds with it and have no complaints whatsoever, plus, <$60.

It is somewhat of a combo FH/comp, but performed as a comp/brake better than I expected. </div></div>

What he said....

I run one on a 20" AR build and can now watch the impact, worlds apart from the birdcage I had on there temporarily.

never seen the need to put a brake on a 5,56 because it doesn't really need it. I do have a few PWS on 6.5 grendel, 300 blackout and 308 AR10 and those work really well for that.