• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 brass shrinking?

M855

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
East TN
Brass has 5 loading on it mixed dates of LC fired in the same Rem 700,trimed to 1.750 now all 50 rounds are 1.743-1.748 ,What gives shouldnt it grow instead of shrink,is it time to throw away this batch of brass

Re: 223 brass shrinking?

Are you sure about the trim dimension? What did you use to trim with? Did you measure after trimming? Most of the times I have seen cases shrink is the first time firing to fire form new brass to a specific chamber.

Yes im sure,used a L.E. Wilson trimmer,checked after trimming, this is the first time Ive seen the brass shrink it always grows a little after firing,used the same powder charge,primer and bullet the only thing that was different was the outside temp was in the low 40s

The outside temperature may have something to do with it. But like I said above, I've not seen this before.

M855,

My Lapua .223 and .243 quit growing after 5-10 firings, but this was in fairly tight chambered rifles. Even after annealing, they didn't grow any more. I cannot give a reason, just letting you know what happened.

HTH,
DocB