• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 Bullet Seating Operation Die

BillKennedy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
If anyone would know this, you guys will- I load my .223 on an older Dillon. As long as I stick to FMJ all is fine. When I switch to any bullet point style that isn't a FMJ, the die shaves the point or, in some cases, even jams it so it ruins the cartridge. I'm looking for a seating die that can be used in a progressive that will handle different softer points and even ballistic tips. Maybe there is one with a collet (?) that moves up and down with the bullet itself to keep it straight? Having a micrometer setting wouldn't be bad, but not totally necessary, as this will be a dedicated set-up. I realize some of the more advanced bullet seating dies are expensive, but that's ok.
Looking forward to hearing from you- thanks in advance for your anticipated help.
Plain Old Bill

I am assuming these are Dillon dies? If so, what bullets specifically are you having issues with? If using VLD style bullets you may need to get a die that has a VLD seater installed in it. I'm having no issues with Dillon dies and 77 gr Nosler CC's so I'm curious what type of bullet you are using.

I buddy uses a Forster Micrometer seater on his 550, I'm reasonably sure. I use the same on my Co-Ax with no issues.

Forster micrometer seating die is great for .223 on my S1050. I only load FMJ though.