• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 chamber

KineticPerformance

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Given the ability to feed a round to 2.885" I think and probably only the need to load to 2.5" tops, with a 73gn ELD/77gn TMK/etc., what reamer have you used and been happy with? I won a cert from Accurate Ordnance for barrel work and I'm going to use it to build a .223 trainer since I'm good on .308 and 6.5 match guns. I know, call and ask. I'm going to but it's the weekend and then Christmas so it'll be a few days and I want to go into the conversation with some idea of what I want. Measuring my gas guns with Wylde chambers, those would work but I'm not sure if they are optimal.

So, did everyone else just have their rifles chambered with a SAAMI chamber and load heavy bullets short ?

.140 Freebore with a 0.225 freebore diameter for shooting 80 VLD's.

Interesting time for this topic to come up. I have a new 223 bolt gun (tac 30 action, bartlein barrel) that I have been getting ready for some load development. My plan is to shoot 75 ELD-Ms.

I used Sinclair's seating depth measurement tools to determine the maximum COAL and Base to Ogive that I can load, using a piece of fireformed brass and a 75 ELD-M. The resulting maximum COAL that I can load to was measured as approximately 2.430". I plan to start loading my rounds to an OAL of ~2.410" to be roughly .020" off the lands. I double checked my measurements, and also loaded a long round and chambered it, which resulted in pretty much the same conclusion.

I'm just curious, compared to alot of others on here, my maximum OAL seems to be a bit short. Is this going to hinder my performance with the 75 ELD-M, or not allow me to go with heavier bullets in the future; say the 80 ELD-M? I believe the starting OAL for the 75gr is 2.390", so I don't think it will mess with my powder capacity for that specific load.

I have been fireforming brass with Fed GMM 77gr SMK, and it has been shooting really well. Here are two 5 round groups at 100 yards, shot off front/rear bags in 10° F weather:

CoinFVs.jpg

O3YBC2S.jpg

Are you sure you're not comparing your OAL measured to the ogive to others OAL measured to the bullet tip?

What does you cartridge loaded to best ogive OAL measure tip to base?

I actually have 4 .223 26" barrels here Im in the process of doing a review on. Mullerworks .223 Rem Match is 2.52" COAL to the lands with a 80 Amax and I have 3 .223 Wyldes that measure 2.50" to the lands... Both shoot lights out.

Are you sure you're not comparing your OAL measured to the ogive to others OAL measured to the bullet tip?

What does you cartridge loaded to best ogive OAL measure tip to base?

The numbers I mentioned in my post are COAL from base to tip. I dont remember the base to ogive measurements off the top of my head. And like I said, I double checked my measurement with the sinclair tool and also loaded a dummy round long and let the rifling seat the bullet to confirm my data. I think I just have a short throat? I don't think it should affect the performance of the 75 ELD because my reloading manual uses 2.390 COAL for the 75 AMAX which is the same as the ELD.

The numbers I mentioned in my post are COAL from base to tip. I dont remember the base to ogive measurements off the top of my head. And like I said, I double checked my measurement with the sinclair tool and also loaded a dummy round long and let the rifling seat the bullet to confirm my data. I think I just have a short throat? I don't think it should affect the performance of the 75 ELD because my reloading manual uses 2.390 COAL for the 75 AMAX which is the same as the ELD.

I think you're fine.

When I get home I'll see if I still have my load data for the 75 Amax load I used for the 600 yd stage of NRA highpower matches (in a Wylde chamber).

I think you're fine.

When I get home I'll see if I still have my load data for the 75 Amax load I used for the 600 yd stage of NRA highpower matches (in a Wylde chamber).

I think I am okay too, I was just curious if anyone had a similar situation to see what their experience has been. Throat wear will give me a little more length down the road but not much, correct? Maybe .010" after putting alot of rounds through the barrel lol? I assume if I ever had a need to load heavier than the 75's that I could have a gunsmith use a throat reamer to lengthen the throat a bit?