• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Component Recommendation Pls

Brazo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2018
Verona, NJ
Good morning guys,

I was hoping that you could share your experiences with the best load components particularly brass for the 223 Remington.

I am completing a 223 Remington bolt gun with a 1-7" Bartlein 4 groove barrel throated for the 80.5 Berger Fullbore bullet and I also plan on shooting Hornady ELD's 75, 80, & 88gr.

Best brass to buy?
Ideal primer if all were available?
Powder?

I have the following components for a sporter 223 below, but want to "get the good stuff" for the above higher dollar, heavier build:

Remington brass
CCI 400's
Leverevolution and IMR 8208 powder

I am also debating using a Lee collet die, Redding body die, and a Forster Competition die

OR

Hornady Match Grade New Dimension Bushing Full Length Sizer Die and just using the proper bushing and sizing button that it comes with

Any info would be appreciated thank you!

Brazo your selection of bullets appear to just right for your twist rate, but it’s not the bullet weight, it the length that will determine accuracy . Remington 223 brass has served Me very well over the years, as well the CCI 400’s primers. Not having the opportunity to work with Leverevolution powder as of yet, so I can’t speak on that powder, but IMR-8202 XBR has produced groups that Are the size of a dime for me. During your load development which method are you going to use CBTO or OAL ? It does make a big difference . Your die selection are very good as well, good luck .

Last edited:
First of all excellent barrel choice. There are multiple brass manufacturers that make quality product, but you can’t go wrong with lapua. I prefer federal small rifle match primers, and I love Varget in the .223 with 67-77 grain bullets.
Just pick up a two die set of Forster dies, or you could go Redding Bushing dies if you really want to go down the rabbit hole.

I was thinking Lapua for brass but have honestly never used Lapua for the 223 and wasn't sure it was well recommended or not.

The only brass I could find that looked good was Starline.

@Mr Tibbs - I'll be measuring CBTO thank you for the distinction reminder. My gunsmith kindly provides a dummy round just kissing the lands and I use that for a CBTO and apply it do the other bullet weights. Glad to hear the 8208 has worked well for you!

@Flightmurse - Thank you, that is the exact barrel configuration my gunsmith recommended. Federal 205m seem well received as well. I am sure a Forster 2 die set would work out just fine, but I can't leave well enough alone sometimes ;)

Brazo there’s a video on YouTube by Johnny”s Reloading Bench where he discovered that Starline 223 Brass doesn’t Have the internal Powder Capacity as other brands of 223 brass. So check it out and use your best judgement Going forward. Using the CBTO Method has proved to be much more accurate and consistent.

Last edited:
I have been using Starline brass and 80gr ELDs with excellent results. I have tested both Varget and 8208 along with FGM AR Match primers.

Full disclosure, the below is my experience only and should be taken as such - work up to any load using your gun and best judgement.

Rifle Specs:
Defiance Tenacity .223
25” Brux 1:7, .093” freebore
All tests completed with bullet seated to .010” jump

I started with Varget and was able to achieve ~2,900fps while working up to 25gr. This charge was very compressed and primers were flattened, but it produced good spreads and there were no other pressure signs to speak of.

I then went to 8208 and was able to achieve ~3,000fps while working up to 24gr. I also tested 24.2gr as well, but stopped there as I started to notice heavy bolt lift and flattened primers with no appreciable difference in velocity.

I ultimately settled at 23.8gr 8208 as I felt this would be the safest load without having to monitor the weather, while giving me about 75fps better than the fastest load of Varget. YMMV.

Thank you Sir,

Do you have a bit of room left in your magazines with the .093” freebore?

Also what mags are you using? Thank you

OAL is right around 2.500” and if I had to guess, I probably have .100”ish left in the mag. In hindsight I probably could have gone with a .125 fb and been OK, but in my experience the .093s are the most forgiving.

I am using modified Accurate-Mags. Super easy to do, just take a file to the front until it fits. Never had an issue and they are smooth as silk.

102ABB90-C9DC-4119-BFBC-74922ED75EAB.jpeg

Reactions: sinister and Brazo
@just browsing I am running almost identical specs in my rifle. 223 match reamer with .090 freebore and 2.5” oal with 80 eldm. I ran an ocw with my star line 5.56 brass up to 25gr of shooters world precision and 205m with no pressure signs but compressed load. I’m gonna try a drop tube to see if it’ll help and maybe run it hotter, only 2775 FPS at the moment.

@just browsing

Thanks for that picture, and info brotha, I appreciate it.

I have that exact mag, and a MDT 10 round poly to start with. Just need to file the accurate mag as you have so nicely shown.

I am using a Savage 12 with custom Shaw barrel - 26 inch, 223 Wylde, 1-7, MTU - with 75 and 80 ELDMs and 80 SMKs over TAC in mixed brass with S&B primers. Loading to the MDT mag length.

I use starline brass with very good results, as stated though I've had problems with lower capacity, 24.0gr varget is a compressed load at that point.

AA2520 is known for getting good velocity with heavier grain bullets with less pressure than 8208

Reactions: 308pirate
I bought 500 pieces of Remington brass for my 1/9" twist .223 bolt gun, split it into 4 batches according to weight. Loaded with N140 and 69gr SMK's along with CCI 400's. I've changed to BR4's though as they have a slightly thicker cup and my load is quite hot.
I've tried the Lapua cases in the rifle and I seem to recall they had slightly less case volume than the Remington. But Lapua is renown for being consistent and is my go to. That being said I can't fault the RP brass.

Reactions: Brazo
Are you intending this rifle for benchrest shooting or long range? Paper and steel targets or varmints?

There is obviously a wide range of really good powders, primers, and bullets that will make a rifle built on a premium barrel shine.

Starting with the primer, if you're looking for higher (to maximum) but consistent velocities and pressure you might consider a benchrest primer with a thicker cup (Federal 205M, CCI 450 or BR4, Remington 7 1/2, etc.). For powders (for 73-88 grain bullets), Varget; R15; VV N135, 140, and 540; H4895; IMR8208.

You can never go wrong with Forster dies, although I have and use RCBS, Hornady, and Dillon (depending if you use your brass in ARs as well).

Lapua brass is first-class, but with a little prep Lake City and others are very durable and consistent.

If you ever shoot out this barrel, a 1-6.5 twist will let you shoot up to 90-grainers.

Are you intending this rifle for benchrest shooting or long range? Paper and steel targets or varmints?

There is obviously a wide range of really good powders, primers, and bullets that will make a rifle built on a premium barrel shine.

Starting with the primer, if you're looking for higher (to maximum) but consistent velocities and pressure you might consider a benchrest primer with a thicker cup (Federal 205M, CCI 450 or BR4, Remington 7 1/2, etc.). For powders (for 73-88 grain bullets), Varget; R15; VV N135, 140, and 540; H4895; IMR8208.

You can never go wrong with Forster dies, although I have and use RCBS, Hornady, and Dillon (depending if you use your brass in ARs as well).

Lapua brass is first-class, but with a little prep Lake City and others are very durable and consistent.

If you ever shoot out this barrel, a 1-6.5 twist will let you shoot up to 90-grainers.

Use is for mid range steel and varmints (and learning)

Thank you that was helpful. I should probably look for some BR4's or 205m's locally. Is there any advantage to using the CCI 450's magnum primers in something like a 223?

At this point you will be shooting whatever you already have, or can get.

If you find a bullet or powder on the shelf that will work, buy as much as they will let you buy... and then shoot it alot.

Hawk Hill 1-7 M40 24"
Beanland Custom Rifles build cut for 80.5 bergers
Lapua Brass
Berger 80.5
205 primers

Varget "nightmare" powder. First jug (8lb) was 24.4, second jug (8lb) is 25 even for same velocity. Yep, ya read that right. .6 grain difference for same velocity. Both jugs were tested at the same time so as to avoid variables like barrel erosion and powder aging or contamination. I'm through the first jug now and on to the second. Barrel will only go about 5,000 so the timing is perfect. When the powder/barrel is gone I'll go back to H4895 or 8208XBR.

Side note. I hate Varget so I might be a little bit bias. But, the scale don't lie and the bore scope keeps us honest.

Reamer would work for both ELDMs and the Bergers. Both shot sub MOA from 100-500 yards. The Berger 80.5 just flat out killed the ELDMs at distances starting at 300 yards. Nodes for seating depth and powder charge were more forgiving with the Bergers. Big surprise I know, but damn if it wasn't funny.
Hope this helps.

I've really been enjoying my Lapua cases in the. 223.

I used to sort Lake city by year then by internal volume. I personally get better results with less work using the Lapua.

I still run the Lake City though. It doesn't make me sad to lose one in the bushes when hunting or ground squirrel shooting. The Lapua is my square range brass.

Hawk Hill 1-7 M40 24"
Beanland Custom Rifles build cut for 80.5 bergers
Lapua Brass
Berger 80.5
205 primers

Varget "nightmare" powder. First jug (8lb) was 24.4, second jug (8lb) is 25 even for same velocity. Yep, ya read that right. .6 grain difference for same velocity. Both jugs were tested at the same time so as to avoid variables like barrel erosion and powder aging or contamination. I'm through the first jug now and on to the second. Barrel will only go about 5,000 so the timing is perfect. When the powder/barrel is gone I'll go back to H4895 or 8208XBR.

Side note. I hate Varget so I might be a little bit bias. But, the scale don't lie and the bore scope keeps us honest.

Reamer would work for both ELDMs and the Bergers. Both shot sub MOA from 100-500 yards. The Berger 80.5 just flat out killed the ELDMs at distances starting at 300 yards. Nodes for seating depth and powder charge were more forgiving with the Bergers. Big surprise I know, but damn if it wasn't funny.
Hope this helps.

@OLD308 Funny I'm waiting on the same barrel, and use the same gunsmith so the same reamer as well. Do you know any of your COAL's offhand? I'm sure they will fit in the mags fine. Thank you. I also found some Lapua brass and its on the way.

@OLD308 Also, I'm curious to know how far off the lands worked best for you with the 80.5's? Thanks again

PM me if I don’t hit ya back latter.
Jon cut my Accurate Mags to fit and feed perfection.