• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 Crimped Primers

Shadowstalker

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Tualatin, OR
Forgive me because I'm sure that this has been asked to death (and I did a search, but it didn't yield the results I was looking for); but I have alot of LC and Fed Brass that has the Crimped primers. After seperating and removing the primers, I've used a Hornady handheld champfer tool to give a slight bevel to the primer pocket. Is this all I need to do?
Thanks in advance

Re: .223 Crimped Primers

as long as the primer pocket will accept a primer afterward, yes.

I borrowed a swager to do it.

There are two methods to reload cases with crimped primers.
.1 Remove the crimp by cutting it out.
501588.jpg

(Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer for instance)

.2 Remove the crimp by swaging the brass back out of the way.
447022.jpg

(RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging Kit for instance)

If you are using the Hornady primer pocket reamer tool than you are good to go.
If you are just using the cleaner than you are not...

Thanks All. I ordered the Hornady Reamer today since I only have about 600 LC to do. Interestingly enough after I did a search on another couple of sites as well, I'm going to go back through my FC brass and recycle a certian type that is prone to having a thin web. After I sort through the FC I'll probably end up with 250 or so of the "safe" type

I started with the Hornady reamer. It's good for small batches. I bought but still havent used the RCBS press mounted swage. I'm going to do a batch on it to try it. I am using the Dillon since I have gallons of once fired brass to deswage. It is very easy to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I started with the Hornady reamer. It's good for small batches. I bought but still havent used the RCBS press mounted swage. I'm going to do a batch on it to try it. I am using the Dillon since I have gallons of once fired brass to deswage. It is very easy to use. </div></div>

I pretty much used the Hornady bits for the first 16 years and while they worked well, my wrist and fingers would hurt for a week. I even got a RCBS Trim Mate five years back and while easier on the wrists/fingers, it's still a chore.

I got the Dillon SS 600 for Christmas and used it for the first time on Monday, not even bolting it to the bench and it worked perfectly on the 39 HXP Greek 30'06 cases I experimented with.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowstalker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgive me because I'm sure that this has been asked to death (and I did a search, but it didn't yield the results I was looking for); but I have alot of LC and Fed Brass that has the Crimped primers. After seperating and removing the primers, I've used a Hornady handheld champfer tool to give a slight bevel to the primer pocket. Is this all I need to do?
Thanks in advance </div></div>

If you are using a handheld crimp reamer, then you're fine.

A chamfer tool, no. The crimp deforms the top area of the primer pocket inside and that needs to be reamed with a crimp remover, or swaged back to normal as well.

Way, way back when I used to use a USMC pocket knife to clean that up, the tip has a good shape for getting inside the pocket...crude yes, but I didn't have a reamer yet and it got the job done.

TC

Get a Dillon Super Swedge like Clark posted, everything else sucks in comparison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Super_Swage_600_m.jpg

The Dillon super swage is a great tool.

I processed 7,000 rounds of .223 while watching TV. </div></div>

+1 on the Dillon for 223 & 308 primer pocket swagging.