• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 223 ejection issues

nugentr

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2009
central florida
have a phoenix customs short action with ptg bolt chambered in 223.shoots great,but only ejects fired case about 50% of the time.it will eject loaded rounds 100%.i replaced the extractor,remington style and still does the same as before.the fired case just stays in the bolt face and i can remove it by hand easily,but that kind of defeats the purpose.hoping someone can point me in the right direction to rectify the issue,thanks in advance.

If you have the appropriately sized pin punch take the ejector out of the bolt head and thoroughly clean the ejector bore, spring, and plunger. Reassemble with a drop of lighter fluid in there and see if that solves the issue. It might be a spring has relaxed but more likely there's dirt/debris in there that's damping the behavior and you're not getting the plunger speed for ejecting empties

What type of extractor?

The 700 and 700 pattern actions in 223 are plagued with ejection issues. Been many threads on it.

For 700 extractors, the nub of the extractor needs a tad bit of dremeling which will aid bolt closure and ejection both. Once this is done, if the bolt is operated with some authority, the fired case will eject clear of the action rather than flip 180 degrees and remain in the action, causing a malfunction.

The root issues are: the ID of the action relative to the overall length of the fired case as well as the diameter of the case AND the ejector travel. Increasing the ejector travel (removing the ejector then relieving it where it is stopped by the roll pin) can help as well.

thanks for chimeing in bohem and cracka.took ejector out cleaned reinstalled and still seemed pretty much the same.my ptg bolt is set up just like factory rem. so i had a brainstorm.i have an older rem 223 that has never had any ejection issues.took the ejector out to compare to the ptg. The spring in the factory rem was considerally longer.since there was such a big difference i put the factory rem spring in the ptg bolt and viola! dramatic improvement,but still not 100%.
Craca, i think i will try your idea of lengthening the slot on the ejector to give it a little more travel and see if i can reach nirvana with my ejection issues.