• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 223 for heavy bullets build with pics

Re: 223 for heavy bullets build with pics

Here is my project... I heard a rumor that it's not to far from being finished!

Defiance action
Bartlien #3 8" twist 4 groove
Mcm Classic adl
Jewell trigger
All parts in the care of Robert Gradous!

Will be using 75gr Amax in Lapua brass!
IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ackleyfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my project... I heard a rumor that it's not to far from being finished!

Defiance action
Bartlien #3 8" twist 4 groove
Mcm Classic adl
Jewell trigger
All parts in the care of Robert Gradous!

Will be using 75gr Amax in Lapua brass!
IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg
</div></div>

That is a great looking set up. After shooting mine, I want another one, but lighter, like yours. Please post picks once you get it. Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Please show pics of your build once it's done, really would love to see it. </div></div>

Will do.

Not as high class as yours.

Savage Precision Target Action. Blueprinted and opened for magazine feeding.

PacNor super match 1 in 8" twist Sendero Contour

McMillan A5 (I ended up with several when Savage changed the 10fp)

CDI bottom metal

Farrell Base

TPS Rings

Reamer from Kiff, jb100br specs:

PTG 11/06
.223 ack imp
Finisher
.252 neck
.081 freebore

2830fps with 80gr bullets, from a 'standard' 24" 223...hmm...

Any results with RL-15?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2830fps with 80gr bullets, from a 'standard' 24" 223...hmm...

Any results with RL-15? </div></div>

Seems my numbers are not reliable from my chrono. I did try both RL15 and Varget with both the SMK 80s, and The Amax 80s. The results were both very equal to one another. The accuracy seemed to be best at 24.8 GN of either at 100 yards. The reason I don't believe my chrony is that I was very careful in loading every bullet as exact as humanly posibble, and I was getting readings up to 80 FPS difference from the same loads with both powders. I think I need a new chrony. Either way, the rifle will shoot both bullets with both powders great. I will be sticking with the Amax bullets.

My next step would be to run your loads with other primers to see what you get. I had a 77 SMK load using Varget that was getting a sd in the teens and by using Fed Gold Medal Match primers brought the sd down into the single digits. But I'm sure you've already done this.

Yes. Federal Gold Medal Match primers is what I used. Thank you though