• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

.223 for precision rifle competition

LeadFeather

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
Fairview Alfa,LA USA
Howdy fellas , I have been shooting and hunting semi-long range (out to about 400 yds.) for most of my life. I have recently started shooting from a bench and prone out to 1k with my .223 varmint gun at a old friends range. After talking to other shooters I have become interested in shooting PRS and other tactical competition. My question is (1) is a .223 practical for this type of competition (the report of hitting steel is not as loud as my .308) ,(2) will a accurised AR platform hinder you as apposed to a typical bolt gun. Thanks fellas

Re: .223 for precision rifle competition

I think you will be at a disadvantage due to the inherent nature of a light bullet at long range. Also, some comps have a 6mm minimum requirment from what I have seen. I plan on trying one of mine at 500yd F-Class matches at my local club.

research it here but a bolt gun in 223 (80 gr+) can be shot well at 1000 yds but one would have to be an expert wind-doper

i believe you would have to be an expert (making a living at shooting) to use an AR15

have tried a Grendel but only to 700yds at this time---have to get back to TX for longer range

Hits on steel at long range may be difficult to record.

.260 Remington in LR-308 would be interesting. As for .223 Precision Build, it can be done. .264 LBC-AR or Grendel will be a better choice out of an AR-15 but .223 will still get you there. Start practicing. Since you're only talking about out to 400yds, the wind doping won't be quite as bad as what the others were talking about (they mentioned 1000yds.) But practice is going to be key. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leadfeather</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am shooting a wanting a auto for faster follow up shots, are there any thoughts on a dpms LR .308 (24")? </div></div>

Had one, got rid of it. Only shoot M14's at matches now. If you are going to compete in NRA or CMP matches, you will be shooting AQT ,across the course, matches that are 200,300, and 600yds. Get a bigger stick like the M14 or M1 Garand to win consistently at distance when winds prevail. You can punish the poodle shooters with em if you know how to dope the rifle. I found the balance all wrong on the LR-308. Although it is an ergonomic style, I was more fatigued after a day at the matches with it, as opposed to the M14.

If you shoot three gun, get an 18.5" barrel on the 14 and a good red dot optic.

M14,

I have to totally disagree with you. I started shooting an M1A in '77, shot it (and M14s) for the AK NG Rifle Team. Got my Dist. Rifle Badge with the M1A/M14,

But, It's seen its day as far as high power goes. As much as I hate to say it, as much as I love my M1A, it just don't cometete anymore in Service Rifle.

At most of the larget HP Matches its rare as hens teeth. The AR has taken over. About the only M1A/M14s you see now days at Perry is the special M1A matches.

People are getting dist. rifle badges earlier now, and with higher scores simply because the ARs are easier to shoot, and they do out shoot the M1A/M14s in High Power.

It was different when I got started, but ARs were M16a1's and SP-1s with 55 gn bullets, its a different ball game now. Now its White Oak and 77-80 grn bullets.

This comes from a hard core M14/M1A man.

I just bought a DPMS SASS and so far I really like it. I'm still going through the 100 shot breakin with cheap PPU ammo so I can't say how well it is going to shoot, but I have had 0 mechanical issues and believe once I work up a load for it, it should shoot pretty good.

kraigWY, I agree. Gotta love the M14, but since they have learned to accurise the AR, it has taken over in HP. Out to 600 with 80's, it's the ticket.

Friend has the 24" DPMS 308. Real heavy and just nose heavy. Accurate but the trigger sucks. I bet the shorter bbl with a good trigger will do just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M14,

I have to totally disagree with you. I started shooting an M1A in '77, shot it (and M14s) for the AK NG Rifle Team. Got my Dist. Rifle Badge with the M1A/M14,

But, It's seen its day as far as high power goes. As much as I hate to say it, as much as I love my M1A, it just don't cometete anymore in Service Rifle.

At most of the larget HP Matches its rare as hens teeth. The AR has taken over. About the only M1A/M14s you see now days at Perry is the special M1A matches.

People are getting dist. rifle badges earlier now, and with higher scores simply because the ARs are easier to shoot, and they do out shoot the M1A/M14s in High Power.

It was different when I got started, but ARs were M16a1's and SP-1s with 55 gn bullets, its a different ball game now. Now its White Oak and 77-80 grn bullets.

This comes from a hard core M14/M1A man. </div></div>

I hear you brother. But Nez Rongero from Texas just took the gold at the leg match in Palo Alto Lousiana, and just about everywhere else he goes throughout the united states with his. That says the AR's do not rule the line, or the norm anymore, like most believe they still do. Let Nez show up with his 14, and you will see the AR's lose almost every time. That tells me something. Competition must not be too rough out there, or everyone is grading on a curve until real shooters show up. "Hard Holders" with the M14 are spanking them regularly these days. Myself and Tony Geeck as well. Tony just blowed them out at a match last weekend with his 14. Nez's partner, Ray Diaz, is hell and Jesus with a 14 also. So yeah, all the youngsters these days are shooting something their delicate little hands can handle (women too...haa haa), but that doesn't mean the 14 is dead by any stretch of the imagination. I realize thats not what you said, just a little fyi. As long as there are old timers like us that still shoot the 14, and wimpy youngsters that have never seen combat, the AR will exist and claim prizes. But they will have to work for it,... Hard ! If they ever see combat, they will be crying for an M14. Trust me.

I agree to a point, I still can't shoot the AR like I can my M1A, but I haven't shot it near as much either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So yeah, all the youngsters these days are shooting something their delicate little hands can handle (women too...</div></div>

That is the main reason I like the AR, it allows everyone, kids, ladies,.....everyone to compete. The future of our shooting sports lies with the juniors. I've for what ever it takes to secure the future of shooting.

Also ARs are much cheaper, again giving more the opertunity to compete.

I think without the introduction of the AR, High Power would be a dieing sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree to a point, I still can't shoot the AR like I can my M1A, but I haven't shot it near as much either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So yeah, all the youngsters these days are shooting something their delicate little hands can handle (women too...</div></div>

That is the main reason I like the AR, it allows everyone, kids, ladies,.....everyone to compete. The future of our shooting sports lies with the juniors. I've for what ever it takes to secure the future of shooting.

Also ARs are much cheaper, again giving more the opertunity to compete.

I think without the introduction of the AR, High Power would be a dieing sport.

</div></div>

I think you are absolutely correct about that. The lighter rifle has saved the sport in these days of gun haters everywhere, and californy faggots running around arm in arm kissing each other on TV.