• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 223 for Whitetail

Re: 223 for Whitetail

Sure a 223 will kill a deer but IMO there are just too many other better options out there. Shot placement is more important with a 223 than other. It is not a very kid friendly cartridge for that reason.

Shot 3 deer with a .223. Full spectrum of results. One dropped like a stone, one jolted about 25 yards and one went about 75yrds, fighting it the whole time.

Like its been said... shot placement and the size of the deer is the key.

.223 works great on smaller bucks but if you want to ethically take a monster down, you MUST have a larger caliber...

Got rid of my .223 for a .246. Works alot better!

Will never go back to a .223 unless it's an AR.

Can't stress the .243 enough...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glocker17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TO THE TEXAS GUYS...

i always thought it was illegal here in texas to deer hunt with a 223?
</div></div>

Its legal, any centerfire is the rule. I have used 22 Hornet with the old Barnes 45 XLC. I guess 25 ACP would be legal as well? </div></div>

Well I'll be damned. It looks like it is legal.

14 point on the wall was taken with an AR 15. 55 gr bullet. It only took one.

GEORGIAHUNT2007580001-2.jpg