• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .223 in an ar10

Re: .223 in an ar10

why not just buy a 223 AR, you know that an AR10 is meant to handle a 308 or bigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E4300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anyone have any links to the topic? Thanks </div></div>

So you want someone to spend their time searching and doing research, and report back with the findings? I'll pass.

Your goal would be way easier with a bolt action. With a gas gun, that's gotta be way complicated....finding a bolt assembly with a 223face for the AR10, tuning the gas system for reliable operation, changing and AR-10 magazine to use 223...reliably....egads man!

well, if you went with a standard AR15 bolt, you would need to have a custome carrier made so a custome diameter inside could be made to match the AR15 bolt. You would need to have a custom barrel extension made that would have the outside the size of a standard 308 AR extension and have the inside design for a standard AR15 bolt. Gas port size would have to be adjusted also since your moving a lot more mass of that AR10 style carrier. you are also going to need to create a custom insert for the magazines, or just create magazines, maybe modifing 5.56 mags buy cutting and extending the front, but then you need a mag well adaptor to allow the mag to be held in place.

Another would would be to have a custom 308 sized bolt made to hold a 5.56 case, along with a matching custom extractor. this would allow a standard barrel extension and a standard carrier. but you will still need to tweak and play with the gas system and have some sort of custom made mag.

I am sure it can be done.....question is.....do you have enough money you are willing to spend to pay for it? with design work and the production of a couple "one off" parts, my guess is it is not going to be just a couple hundred dollars.

It is as I figured way to much work in a semi. I bought a bolt gun to shoot heavies. I love my ar 15's just don't like a single shot ar when shooting heavies loaded out to the lands. I got more answers then expected so thanks again and this can die now.

You'd accomplish alot more for alot less cash if you simply buy a 6 or 6.5mm upper for your AR10 (.243, .260 or 6.5CM).

Will a 22-250 work?
I have seen references to that cartridge in an ar-10.
Also, check 6mmar (Robert Whitley) he has a new .224 AR. It is a Grendel case necked down to 22 for the heavys and fits in an AR15

Hope this helps.

Trilogymac