• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 loads for long barrel

scat30

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2013
Ga
I have a savage 12flv with a 26 inch barrel. I have been loading varget but since it is hard to find I started looking for something else. was thinking about something alittle slower burning with the long barrel. mostly shooting 55vmax,69smk and 68bthp has anyone had any luck with this. I have a 1/9 twist and is a tackdriver with all 3 bullets

I shoot a AR with a 26" 1/7 barrel, and mostly use Varget, too, but with 77 gr SMKs.

Almost as good as Varget for me has been TAC, IMR4320, RE15, and WW748.

Varget, TAC, and RE15 are hard to find but the 4320 often shows up locally. It meters better than Varget, and often produces groups for me smaller than Varget does.

I had been trying imr 4895 and it seems to be a good match for the 68grn hornady match. this was shot at 100 yds from my Savage varmint contour barrel (9 twist). since then I found some more varget and went back to it.

Last edited:
This may not be too applicable; loading for squirrels I like 26.5 gr. of H335. I am shooting a 24" E.R. Shaw barrel on an AR, 1-9 with 40 gr. v-max's. six round group at a hundred I can cover with a dime.