• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 loads?

07zx6r

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Ft.Rucker AL
Hey everyone..just completed a 20 inch bull barreled AR and need some advice on some loads.. I dont have the funds to test every set up so I figuered I would get some help. I had really good results with 80 grain A-Maxs w/ varget but I want to find something magazine length. Forgot to mention its a 1-8 twist. Its just a target gun, so no need for hunting loads.. thanks everyone.

Re: 223 loads?

Try:

Sierra MatchKing HPBT 69 Grain
RL-15,24.3-24.7 grains.
OAL 2.25
Remington 7 1/2 small rifle primers
Lake City Brass

or

Sierra MatchKing HPBT 77 Grain
RL-15, 23.4-24.3 grains.
OAL 2.25
Lake City Brass

you have lots to choose from: Hornady 75 BTHP, Sierra 77 BTHP, Nosler 77 BTHP...I personally shoot the 77's Nosler or Sierra out of my Mini SASS and they work awesome. And, they are all Mag length as I run them at 2.250 COAL

thanks.. i have some 77smk's worked up in different powder increments but havent gotten the chance to shoot them..everyone i have talked to has raved about the 69 smk's but i couldnt get them to shoot well.. maybe there better suited for a 1-9 twist.. or could just be my rifle... or my lack of shooting ability. haha

I just shot this 5 shot group during load development today. My AR skills are poor, to say the least, but the group will shrink with practice. I used Sierra MatchKing HPBT 69 grain bullets. The AR is a .223, 1:8, 24" Lilja barrel.

PrecisionFirearms223-1.jpg

I have a 20" 1:8 Match on one of my AR's. Tried 69's and it didn't like them but it will stack 75 Black Hills HPBT on top of each other. 77's shoot pretty well but the barrel is picky on what gets fed through it.

good deal.. im just waiting for a good day to get out and shoot. its suppose to be almost 80 degrees everyday this week, however its the wind that is a pain in the ass..i have some 77 smks and 75 gr hornady bthp's loaded up.. i will post the results later this week

1 in 8 match barrel , should shoot most loads great down to 52 grain HPBTs .

Favorite loads are
LC brass , 55 Noslier tipped , 25.5 grains of Varget , Remington 7 1/2 primer 2.250 oal . Will go MOA in all three of my ARs , and .5 in a 16 in 1 in 9 bull

LC Brass , 69 SMK , 25.0 grains of Varget , 7 1/2 Remington primer , 2.260 ( mag length ) goes MOA in all three ARs and ~ .6 in my 1 in 8 20 inch

LC Brall , 75 Hornady HPBT , 24 grains Varget , Remington 7 1/2 primer , 2.260 ( mag length ) goes MOA in the 1 in 8 and my 1 in 6.5 Northern Service Rifle . Good to 500 yards .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 67rschev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 in 8 match barrel , should shoot most loads great down to 52 grain HPBTs .

Favorite loads are
LC brass , 55 Noslier tipped , 25.5 grains of Varget , Remington 7 1/2 primer 2.250 oal . Will go MOA in all three of my ARs , and .5 in a 16 in 1 in 9 bull

LC Brass , 69 SMK , 25.0 grains of Varget , 7 1/2 Remington primer , 2.260 ( mag length ) goes MOA in all three ARs and ~ .6 in my 1 in 8 20 inch

LC Brall , 75 Hornady HPBT , 24 grains Varget , Remington 7 1/2 primer , 2.260 ( mag length ) goes MOA in the 1 in 8 and my 1 in 6.5 Northern Service Rifle . Good to 500 yards . </div></div>

What magazine brand do you use?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try:

Sierra MatchKing HPBT 69 Grain
RL-15,24.3-24.7 grains.
OAL 2.25
Lake City Brass

</div></div>

I shoot almost this exact load. I dont always use Lake City but other than that I do the same. Its a tack driver and I shoot a 1/9 16" with it still!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking good Papa ! Looks like those shout box tips from Frank worked
wink.gif
</div></div>

LOL. You were on the box that evening when LL gave me the pointers? Man, eliminating the trigger tapping has greatly improved my shooting. I still need more time behind the AR, but I really love where I am going with it.