• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 new build (need a parts list)

adam1122

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2010
Tx
Ok, so all of my rifles are in .308 and now I want a 16in .223 M4. I am going to keep it simple so I need some recommendations on parts.....not sure if I will go DI or piston yet so recommendations on both would be helpful.

I will basically just buy a kit type of gun and have my gunsmith put it together. The barrel and trigger need to be top of the line...the rest can just be "average".

So, can yall help me out with what I should get for a lower, upper (flatop with rail), quad rail handguard, front sight A2 post...I will be using an Aimpoint comp ml2 on top, and a simple std. 6 position M4 style stock.

Where is the best place to order all this stuff from? Should I go to Brownell's and get most of the stuff and order a match barrel from Kreiger or Barlein? Want to keep it as cheap as I can.

Need suggestions. Thanks.

Re: .223 new build (need a parts list)

Search will help you.. we can't tell you what you'll like on your gun. Also you have to decide if you want cheap or quality. You can't have the best trigger and say I want it cheap... especially when talking high-end barrels. You should also build it yourself, not have a smith do it. Learn how your gun works.. the AR platform is like a mans version of Legos. The tools are cheap and good to have on hand for repair anyway. If you want a smith to build it.. just tell them what you want and let them take care of the rest.. just send a check and be done. Or buy off the rack and pickup.

Good luck.

If you are asking this question you are not ready to build.
Try doing some searches get a list of what you think will work, let everyone know what you plan on doing with it then repost after you have gotten your ears wet.

why not buy a basic 16 inch M4'ish complete gun, and modify how you like down the road?

Budget I'd like to stay under is 1K. I know I could buy a Palmetto state armory M4 with Aimpoint pro for a grand already built.

Not sure if I can do any better if I just buy the parts myself and have a smith put it together for me. The high end barrel and trigger would probably bust the budget on this rig.

Anyone know how the Palmetto M4 barrels shoot?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Can't go wrong with Rock River Arms. They have some great stuff. Shoot lights out from the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Budget I'd like to stay under is 1K. I know I could buy a Palmetto state armory M4 with Aimpoint pro for a grand already built.

Not sure if I can do any better if I just buy the parts myself and have a smith put it together for me. The <span style="color: #CC0000">high end barrel and trigger would probably bust the budget</span> on this rig.

Anyone know how the Palmetto M4 barrels shoot?

Thanks for the suggestions. </div></div>
A good barrel like noveske or WOA is going to run close to $300-500 the gas block and then just a great trigger is only another $200 So I think I would just buy a built gun for what you want.

Good suggestions. Looks like I will go with either the palmetto, spikes, or Kelly arms (and have them upgrade the barrel) and just be done with it.

Know - is there any real difference in the Aimpoint pro vs. the com ml2 or ml3. Any way I go it will have a 2 moa dot. Don't plan on going past 600m with this rig at the absolute farthest. If my tax refund shows up good this year I will swap the Aimpoint out for an acog with a doctor sight on top...

You can't go wrong with a Rock River or Spikes lower/upper. My 16" Rock River with an EOTech shoots 1 inch groups all day at 100 yards. If you want to keep it lightweight you could just get a Magpul MOE or VLTOR CASV handguard and add rails where you want. Also with a RRA lower you start off with a pretty good trigger. Is your $1k budget with or without optics?

I'd like to keep it at 1k with the optic. The only well known gun that I have seen for $999 with an Aimpoint Pro is the Palmetto Armory M4.

You know of any other rigs ready to go out of the box with an optic for less with a real Aimpoint on them?

I would go with Midway USA on ordering alot of your parts!

I dont see you being able to build an affective rifle for under 1k including your optics.

Most AR15 builds are going to cost you atleast $700 and that would be basic plain jane.

I spent over $1000 just building a CQB style AR. When its all said and done the AR will be used for both CQB and Precision Shooting! Total will be somewhere around $2200 with new barrel, new single phase trigger, new stock, ect. ect. ect.

Search some of the previous builds here on the forum! That is how I got my parts list and decided what I thought I would like! "Changed the trigger 3 different times till I found one I liked."

Even new Hammer Pins, Trigger Pins ect. start adding up!

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newcategorydimensionid=1675

You can literally build 100,000 different rifles with the component at that link and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Budget I'd like to stay under is 1K. I know I could buy a Palmetto state armory M4 with Aimpoint pro for a grand already built.
</div></div>

This would be a very good way to go.

If you are sure you want a 16" but unsure if you're stuck on the M4 profile barrel, then you may want to look into a "midlength" gas system option instead. Bravo Company Manufacturing is a good place to look as well. Quality parts for relatively cheep.

BCM 16" light weight upper
Simple mid-length hand guards

You'll need to also get a charging handle and bolt carrier group as well as a complete lower with butt stock of your choice, but it is another option to think about. 16" mid-lengths are supposed to have a softer recoil pulse/softer to shoot than a standard 16" carbine-length gas system.

Who has the best BCG for an M4 style gun? I'd like it to be coated and have self-lubrication properties since it's one of the most failure parts of the gun. Midway, Brownells? Anybody else make kick ass bcg's?

It's sounding more and more like there is no chance in hell I can have ehat I want for 1k...even if I did build it myself. I'm leaning towards a pre-built rig thats about 1k and I will just up my budget to include an aimpoint. Whats another $500 right?

BCM, LMT, CMT, Daniel Defense, and Fail Zero all make great BCG's. You can get a complete 16" mid length BCM upper w/ a DD Omega X rail for $700 and a complete CMMG lower for about $180. So the whole rifle would be about $880 plus $500-600 for an Aimpoint.

F*ck man. There are just too many damn choices. I know how AR's function I just want to have one pre-built so I can take advantage of the warranty should I ever have issues.

Palmetto, BCM, and Kelly Fireams are all at the top of the list. Sounds like $1300-$1500 and I can have pretty much whatever I would like.

Question- what is the difference or primary advantage/difference of a mid-length or standard gas system?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteelShot11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F*ck man. There are just too many damn choices. I know how AR's function I just want to have one pre-built so I can take advantage of the warranty should I ever have issues.

Palmetto, BCM, and Kelly Fireams are all at the top of the list. Sounds like $1300-$1500 and I can have pretty much whatever I would like.

Question- what is the difference or primary advantage/difference of a mid-length or standard gas system? </div></div>

Honestly, this could be debated back and forth, but there's no real clear answer. Some think that the middy's shoot softer (not that it matters much in a 223). This will translate to less stress on the BCG over time. But many carbines last over 10k to 15k rds without serious issues.

I'm confused what you want though? Building isn't going to be cheaper unless you buy things used. Narrow your options and think about picking up a colt or DD or BCM for around a grand w/o a red dot. You'll be happier in the long run. They all have good barrels and solid BCG's. It should also ease your warranty worries.... meaning, you probably wont need it.