• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 OCW Test Analysis Help

AeroEngi

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So I finally got a chance to go to the range and test my loads for my SPR chambered in 223 Wylde. I ran an OCW test at 100 yards using Lake City brass, CCI BR-4 primers, 77 gr Nosler Custom Competition projectiles and Varget. I loaded them all with a very light crimp using a Lee Factory Crimp Die at an OAL of 2.260".

I wish my results were more conclusive so I'm turning to you guys for some advice/help.

The charge weights and location on the target are as follows:

Top Target (First Picture)
Top left diamond 22.9
Top right diamond 23.2
Center diamond 23.5
Bottom left diamond 23.7
Bottom right diamond 24.0

Bottom Target (Second Picture)
Top left diamond 24.3
Top right diamond 24.6

Ignore the bottom left diamond in the second picture. Those were my fouling shots before I started the test. All shots were fired from a lead sled.

8b91d39e5b4e5d345a241bd510376cab.jpg

212c77f758bdecdc4ed9c8257f1982f1.jpg

I personally think there is a node between 23.7 gr and 24.3 gr but I really like the grouping of 23.2. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a node there.

Also, what would be my next step? Assuming I find a node, what would I have to do next to shrink my group sizes?

Let me know what you guys think. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would start over and:

*Skip the lead sled and use sandbags instead.

*Shoot from a further distance, such as 300 yards or more.

*Skip the crimp die unless previous testing has shown it to be beneficial in that particular rifle with that particular load.

Last edited:
I personally think there is a node between 23.7 gr and 24.3 gr but I really like the grouping of 23.2. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a node there.

Also, what would be my next step? Assuming I find a node, what would I have to do next to shrink my group sizes?

Let me know what you guys think. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

100 yards is fine for an OCW. I would ditch the crimp also. I think you're right about 23.7-24.3. I've heard most are ending up around 24~ with Varget. If it were me, I would load up another batch, from 23.6-24.4 going up in .2 incr. keeping everything else the same and run another OCW. Once you get closer, you could always fine tune with .1 incr and seating depth.

Tim

Thanks for all the replies.

I have another set of the same exact loads that I used for this OCW test. I'll rerun the test using these loads to confirm the node at 23.7-24.3. If the node is confirmed, then I'll load as suggested from 23.6-24.4 in 0.2 gr increments and see what that tells me.