• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.223 or .308 bolt action

perazzisc3

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2011
Sunrise, Fl
I am about to get into precision rifle shooting and need some help from your advanced experience. Should I start with the .223 or the .308? Please keep in mind I already have a colt AR-15 (.223) while steering me in the right direction. Something else to keep in mind,the local range maximun distance is 100yds. Thanks in advance for you help.

Re: .223 or .308 bolt action

Max range 100 yards???? I'd get a 223 with a fast twist, 7 or 8. Then if you wanted ot shoot further you could with heavier bullets.

Why not start with a .22LR? I started with one, and just recently bough a 223.
Rifle will be cheaper, Ammo will be WAY cheaper. You'll shoot it a ton more because of low ammo prices, resulting in lots of practice. Maybe someday I'll spend money on buying or building a 308 or some other big caliber. For now I'm happy with the .22 and .223.

If the 22 is absolutely not an option I would definately go with the .223, you can share ammo with the AR

Thanks so far for your input, I am leaning toward the .223 for a starter bolt action to work on my shooting, but the .308 is still on my mind.

I think most all of us have to travel to shoot at distance. That is certainly part of being committed.
I also believe to start out with a 223 be it at a 100yd. range or better, shooting a 223 at 100 can be invaluable in your learning curve.
Iused to think 22lr. was good training when it really is a completely different and unique sport. It is excellent and invaluable. It is however different.
Shooting a bolt gun in 223 will provide excellent oppertunity to learn and enjoy.
I would say that is a sound approach. I have been shooting a 223 bolt gun and have learned a bit. I got cocky and am now going to strech it. I got a 260. I intend to shoot mid range and have shot enough 223 past 300 to know I know squat.
Start with a 223.

I have been shooting for 30 years, but I got my 1st precision rifle 2 years ago, A FN TSR USP .223 with Mark AR 6-18 scope and Leupold rings. WOW, under 1" groups (3/4" to just over 1/2" expected), consistant, no recoil, variety of ammo available. Really allowed me to hone my skills. Now I have a GAP .308 on order (with muzzle brake). I started with a Weatherby in 300 Wby Mag, that was not the proper way to break into rifle shooting. Philip.

I have a few guns, and I have to say that if I were in your shoes I would go .223. I have a 308 that I love but the main reason I bought it was for hunting and LR shooting. If it were only the LR shooting I would probably prefer a .223 for the ranges I shoot.

If you own an AR, can only shoot 100 yards, and don't want to hunt, go .223!

If you are only shooting paper or metal....I CAN"T think of even ONE reason to shoot a 308 over a 223! Well....unless you prefer a bigger thumper.

Thanks I have found all your input and recommendations to be very helpful! I think the .223 will be best to start and the .308 can come in the future. Now to really be a pest.
HOWA 1500 VARMIT .223 or REMINGTON 700 SPS TACTICAL .223 ??????

Thanks, I have seen the amount of diffence in options available for the Rem. but the other dilemma is a substantial differnce in price for the Howa (lower). Is ther a significant difference in quality and accuracy in the Remington over the HOWA.

My buddy just bought a Rem700 sps tac. He likes it because of all the aftermarket goodies. A week after his purchase I bought my second Savage. Its a model 10 Precision Carbine.

I was looking into other rifles like CZ, Howa, and I really had my eyes on a Tikka. I bought the Savage because I really like the one I already have and wouldn't mind another. I think Savage has alot going for them and the aftermarket is growing daily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: perazzisc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks I have found all your input and recommendations to be very helpful! I think the .223 will be best to start and the .308 can come in the future. Now to really be a pest.
HOWA 1500 VARMIT .223 or REMINGTON 700 SPS TACTICAL .223 ?????? </div></div>

Will you be keeping it as a stock/factory rifle? If so, go with the Remmy for the 9-twist barrel. The one I had shot really well with 77 gr SMK's. Some 9-twists do, some don't. The Howa Varmint is a 12-twist so you will be limited to <60 gr bullets.

If you plan to just use the action as a base for a custom build, the Howa is every bit the equal of the Remmy and superior in some ways.

If you are going to shoot at 100 yards there are a lot of reasons to go with .223. Ammo is cheap and plentiful, there are excellent rifle choices that can be upgraded if you're inclined, and very little recoil let's you concentrate on your shooting fundamentals over many rounds.

I had this same choice when I started and I went with a Remington 700 in .223. When I got more proficient and started shooting at longer range I bought a SAKO TRG-22 chambered in .308. I still enjoy shooting the Remington and I can go to the range often and shoot many rounds without spending much. A Remington 700 bolt gun in .223 is a different experience from your AR-15.

.223 for sure. If you decide to shoot farther you can still get 600 yards. Cheaper to shoot and will help to learn the wind better than the larger calibers

You will not regret spending the extra money on the Remington. Do yourself a favor and do not get the Howa!

I will do some upgrades, such as a tactical bedded stock,bolt knob, detachable magazine and a decent scope. Who has the best prices on a REM. 700P LTR??

The bolt knob won't do much to imrove shooting. I dont know what kind of budget you are on but, would save that for later and get to know the rifle first. Spend your budget on quality glass, mounts, and bipod.

I first have to start with the rifle, and thanks to all of you I agree that the .223 will be best for me to start with. Is there a big difference between the rem 700 sps tactical heavy barrel and the 700P LTR fluted barrel except for price??
Also where or who is the best place to buy from and price??

The LTR has a better stock than the SPS. The LTR uses a HS Precision aluminum bedding block stock. Most LTR's are shooters.

Verify this with your dealer or remingtonle.com

The stock is very easily upgraded later to detachable box bottom metal, or if you want to completely upgade AICS or Manners... You can very easily sell the Factory stock.

Good luck

Same basic barreled action. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The stock is the big difference. You can always find a used HS stock if you decide to go that route.

Get the Remmy and Glass, when you can, get a Timney, when you can get a HS Stock and your well on your way to a good first rig. If you can afford the Remmy with the upgraded stock, go for it now. You can also consider the Stainless with 5R barrel. You get the Upgraded stock and SS 5r barrel. But with all upgrades, comes $$.

You can go from $600 to $1,200 real quick.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Remmy and Glass, when you can, get a Timney, when you can get a HS Stock and your well on your way to a good first rig. If you can afford the Remmy with the upgraded stock, go for it now. You can also consider the Stainless with 5R barrel. You get the Upgraded stock and SS 5r barrel. But with all upgrades, comes $$.

You can go from $600 to $1,200 real quick.

Good luck </div></div>

question would be what do you get for double the price
1) stock goes from what most consider not worth using(factory plastic) to what many consider the minimum acceptable (HS precision) but it still lacks any engineered adjustability( though any stock can be altered to fit the shooter)
2) stainless, easy care metal- finish on base model remingtons (and from what I hear savages) rusts easily)
3) trigger from the factory is stiff and may be inconsistent ( or just fine) if adjusted lighter - aftermarket trigger can deal with both issues
4) barrel quality - likely range of performance for SPS tactical 3/4- 1 1/2 moa with quality handloads
for 5r barrel 1/2-1 moa

the performance overlaps so a lucky SPS will surpass an unlucky 5r
either way, spend your money and take your chances

BELL AND CARLSON stock or MANNERS??? Is the MANNERS twice as good, its more than twice the price.

While under my current limits, I should've gotten a .223 for my first precision rifle, I got a .308 and couldn't be happier. It is simply something I can grow into, and continue to use for what ever I may need.

If I had gone .223 and ever decided to go 600+ yards, or go hunting, I couldn't afford to buy another rifle and I wouldn't want to sell it, and buy another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobcatT870</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy once cry once </div></div>

+1

[BELL AND CARLSON stock or MANNERS??? Is the MANNERS twice as good, its more than twice the price.]
I am trying not to cry twice :)Just looking for your knowledge and experience to save me from a costly error.

Thats the experience, buy the good stuff the first time and the only time you will cry is when you hand the money over. If you are serious about shooting, the "Budget" items will cost you more money because they they do not perform how you want them to. Then you will be posting it for sale and buying what you should have bought the first time. Plus, if you decide to sell them you can always recover most of your investment.

That is Steve at Triad's saying just for full disclosure. BTW, Steve should be the first call for accessories, he has always treated me right and has the best gear.

I did just that, .223 Rem700 SPS Tactical, Bushy 4200 6-24x50, B&C medalist stock. Perfect setup to learn on the cheap. Plenty of time to get the .308. My advice- buy the absolute best glass you can afford and try to get matching reticle/turrets! You can always get another rifle later and transfer the glass. It is not bad juju to remove a scope once zeroed. I do it all the time. Good luck.

I scored a 5R milspec .223 & Nikon Tactical in the classifieds here on the Hide. 75 grain Hornady BTHP will get to 600. Its a nice little rifle.