• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

223 Powder And Bullets

Re: 223 Powder And Bullets

Brian,
I like Varget or Reloder 15 with a 77gr SMK or 75gr Hornady HPBT when shooting from the magazine. If single loading I use the 80gr SMK.

Steve

What is your intended purpose for the load? Plinking, accuracy, hunting? No point in wasting expensive quality match grade bullets if your shooting CQB. Help us out by telling us what you want the load to do and what type of accuracy you expect.

Shadow i am glad you asked. I do shoot 3 gun some times , but i am more interested in shooting to 6 or maybe even 800 yds in tactical shoots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ramrod197</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am more interested in shooting to 6 or maybe even 800 yds in tactical shoots </div></div>

The 77gr SMK, the 77gr Nolser Custom competition, or the 75gr Amax should suit you well then. For powders I would try Varget, Reloader-15, or if you are looking for a ball powder that would work well in a progressive try Ramshot TAC.

Any of these combination's is more than capable of producing sub MOA performance out of a well build AR

RE15 and 4895. Varget can be a bit slow for gas guns unless you move or adjust the gas port. The 77SMK works well at mag length, as does the 73 Berger LTB.

I would go with a ball powder like AA2460, AA2520, TAC, or H335 and either the nosler CC, Hornady AMAX or Sierra MK. I have tons of AA2230 (think H322 give or take) so that's what I will be using with 77 custom competitions to start off with.

77 Sierra Matchking if you are rocking an 8 or 9 twist....but if you are rocking an 8 or 7 twist look to the 75 AMAX...either RE15, Benchmark, Tac, or Varget should get you in the ball game. I just reread the AR part and 7 twist, the best load you can get for that would be the 77 SMK and Tac....if worked up right you can closely clone Mk262 ammo and push the 77 smk about 2750

Thanks everyone .Sounds like you all gave me some good places to start, Now all i have to do is buy ,load and shoot and see what happens

Is H322 a good candidate for the heavy bullets? I have a lot of H322 but a lot of heavy 77/80 grainers, should I buy new powder?

I have had some good luck with AA2520. Meters great through my Dillon. I've tested some 77gr SMKs with 24gr of AA2520 and it shot well. I need to load some more and get some trigger time with to prove it out. Anyone else think that TAC is a dirty powder? I have a bunch of 55gr FMJ loaded with TAC and they're filthy.

I am in the process right now of developing 223 rounds for my numerous AR's - barrel's from 1/7 to 1/9 - I am using AA 2460 and using my DPMS Mini-Sass as my test platform as it is an 18" barrel with a 1/8 twist barrel. I have tried 23.5 with 60 Grain V-Max but found the velocity was too slow so I am pumping the volume up to 24.5 - 25 grains - it was good accuracy but was around 2700 fps. I have also used 69 SMK's and have gotten some decent groups. I am loading them to 25 gains of AA 2460 and am taking the chrony to the range today to see where I am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jameswm3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">69 gr smk over varget holds sub moa @ 850 yds out of my ar </div></div>

+1

I'm a fan of the 69 gn. SMK and you can't go wrong with Varget.

Varget
Reloader -15
BL-C(2)
H-335
TAC
AA 2520
VV N-140
Win748
H-322
H-4895
IMR 4198

These are some good powders for the .223. (I have tried them all)

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Bullets that work well wit the 1-7 Twist. (for me)</span>

77gr. Sierra Matchking
77gr. Nosler Custom Competition
75gr. Hornady BTHP
75gr. Hornady A-MAX (single load)
69gr. Sierra Match King
69gr. Nosler Custom Competition
68gr. Hornady BTHP
60gr. Hornady V-MAX

Behind 77 SMKs and 77 Noslers, I have used:

RE15
Varget
TAC

TAC kicks ass - somewhere right around 24 grns will get you 2700 FPS.

Good luck