• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.223 Powder Funnel

MitchInOR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2008
Oregon, Willamette Valley
I have been using Satern funnels for my 308 and 223 and like them a lot. I just recently started using Tac in my 223 and when I dump the powder some always ends up on the loading block.

Can you recommend a funnel that fits <span style="font-style: italic">inside</span> the case mouth or is there a technique to not spill those carefully measured fine granuals.

Re: .223 Powder Funnel

My Lee and Hornady funnels have never had an issue, they fit on the outside of the case. Once I go below 22cal then I got a funnel from a kitchen supply store that's meant for mixing spices.

I have a similar problem with H335 in .223. I've thought about a 20 caliber funnel but the Midway looks like an option.

I have the frankford aresenal funnel kit with caliber specific bushings, it works great at not spilling powder and staying straight on the case neck.
hope this helps.

I load 5.56/.223 with H335. Took a green RCBS powder funnel and counterbored the nozzle just enough for the funnel to tightly fit over the case mouth. DO NOT BORE ALL THE WAY THROUGH!

After pouring in the powder, tap the rim of the funnel.

Working great for me so far,

CT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR-10 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load 5.56/.223 with H335. Took a green RCBS powder funnel and counterbored the nozzle just enough for the funnel to tightly fit over the case mouth. DO NOT BORE ALL THE WAY THROUGH!

CT</div></div>

I will look at that as I have one already. I'm not familiar with a lot of powders. How does the granular size of H335 compare to Tac?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR-10 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load 5.56/.223 with H335. Took a green RCBS powder funnel and counterbored the nozzle just enough for the funnel to tightly fit over the case mouth. DO NOT BORE ALL THE WAY THROUGH!

CT</div></div>

I will look at that as I have one already. I'm not familiar with a lot of powders. How does the granular size of H335 compare to Tac?</div></div>

it is the same or damn near the same.

No go on the RCBS funnel. There is not enough material on mine to drill.

It looks like I'll have to try the Frankford Arsenal kit.

Any other ideas, before I place another order with Midway?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It looks like I'll have to try the Frankford Arsenal kit.

</div></div>

Money well spent